Automatic Tipping to be removed

maxx

Really it just means you've already paid the gratuities in your cruise fare, doing the same thing as the Rhapsody.

If you look at the identical cruises at the same time just a year after the auto tipping removal date they are up in price by more then what the year before with the auto tipping would be.

Somewhere along the line we're still paying them, this isn't just a compromise from them in my opinion.

My bet is they won't.

The fares will go up slightly and they will distribute envelopes.

There was automatic tipping on the cruise I went on (Jan 09, Sun Princess) but even so, at the end of the cruise, there were enormous trays of envelopes in the foyer and we were asked to make extra tips.

We were on last year's world cruise which had auto tipping. An email sent to Captain Circle Members last December about the 2011 World Cruise states "Plus, for the first time Princess Cruises has announced no tipping on the 2011 World Cruise. This will be the first Princess Cruises' voyage from Australia to operate without automatic passenger tipping, which represents a significant saving for you." (Their Highlighting!)

So does this mean absolutely no tipping? I Don't think so! It will still be left to the discretion of the passengers.

We have actually booked on the World Cruise again and the best price we could get is still more than what we paid last year and we will have a lower category cabin. The increased price just happens to be approximately the auto tip per day times the number of days plus some.

i read that princess australia is doing away with the auto tips next may but if you want to tip any employee thats up to you but most cruises have gone up in price to cover the tips.....we can cruise and not worry about the tips as they have been paid

rkmw

Oh ye of little faith! :) I have actually seen the fare for a NZ cruise on the Pacific Dawn in 2012 advertised for less than we paid for the same cabin, same cruise, last year! That doesn't sound like they are putting the fares up to pay for the tipping to me. (We were tempted to book NZ for a third time, but didn't give in! :D )

I presume that there will always be the expectation for tipping those who have been of help to you eg waiters and cabin stewards.

Oh ye of little faith! :) I have actually seen the fare for a NZ cruise on the Pacific Dawn in 2012 advertised for less than we paid for the same cabin, same cruise, last year! That doesn't sound like they are putting the fares up to pay for the tipping to me. (We were tempted to book NZ for a third time, but didn't give in! :D )

I presume that there will always be the expectation for tipping those who have been of help to you eg waiters and cabin stewards.

Probably because there will be so many ships doing NZ next year and 2012 and much more selection in cruise lines. A bit of competition is good for us.

Probably because there will be so many ships doing NZ next year and 2012 and much more selection in cruise lines. A bit of competition is good for us.
yes there is alot of competition for nz in the coming 18 months or so and prices should fall we hope, we are thinking of doing nz again in 2012 may be the right to do I think.if we dont do a world cruise or the QM2 in 2012.

I hope they clearly state that the fare includes gratuities, like Rhapsody, so we know where we stand once and for all!!

Actually I hope they don't. Otherwise the "removal of automatic tipping" will not have actually happened. We would still feel like we have been forced to give tips (via our ticket price) and it is this mandatory tipping that most Australians are against. They may raise prices for whatever reason and how they distribute this to staff is up to them (and one would hope it is fair pay). To be made to tip is, in my opinion, NOT a tip.

Actually I hope they don't. Otherwise the "removal of automatic tipping" will not have actually happened. We would still feel like we have been forced to give tips (via our ticket price) and it is this mandatory tipping that most Australians are against. They may raise prices for whatever reason and how they distribute this to staff is up to them (and one would hope it is fair pay). To be made to tip is, in my opinion, NOT a tip.

Many Australians, like myself, prefer not to tip because it is not part of our culture. However, I much prefer to have gratuities included with my base fare, then I know exactly what I am paying for my cruise. The responsibility for distribution of those pre-paid gratuities belongs to the cruise line, not me.

I hated "automatic tipping" added to my account, on a daily basis. After all, they don't charge you for your cruise fare, on a daily basis!

So does this mean absolutely no tipping? I Don't think so! It will still be left to the discretion of the passengers.

Of course you can still tip anyone you like, whenever, wherever. :eek:

Nothing anywhere has ever hinted or stated that tipping is banned.

You can throw $50 or $100 bills at everyone you like 24 hours a day, even other passengers if you like. :rolleyes:

I would say the world tour change was implemented by passengers removing auto tips on a previous world tour. Over 3 months that would have been a lot of $$$ and staff missed out big time. Staff would have hoped that at the end of the cruise the tips would come forward but in a lot of cases this did not happen.

If you are sincere about caring if staff get paid a good income then be grateful that auto tipping is being removed. Now they should be paid well and not have to continually beg for money, and yes you can still tip.

I went on a cruise that followed on from a world tour and there were a lot of unhappy staff on board. I am not sure exactly why, but my guess is that they did not get the 3 months of tips they expected. :mad:

Archived