Kotor, montenegro

I took a boat tour out to the two small islands in the bay. Nice half-day tour, beautiful views, interesting artifacts on the island.

My husband walked up to the fortress above the town. Strenuous walk, but he said there were great views.

Main piece of advice is to make sure you watch the sail-in/sail-away - it's stunning! Kotor is a lovely, but small, Mediaeval town with a great atmosphere and cafe culture.

We tried the walk to the fortress but gave up about half-way up - it was pretty hard going for us. The boat trip to the two islands sounds a good idea. We did a full day trip which was stunning going over the mountains - it was literally breath-taking with so many hair-pin bends and ended at Budva. Perhaps it would be feasible to just go to Budva and back in the time-scale but I didn't feel it had any more atmosphere or charm than Kotor itself.

Your time is somewhat limited so I'd enjoy walking around Kotor itself - the walk up to the fortress will provide excellent views and photographs but it is a very strenuous walk. We had enough time to walk around Kotor then we did a short tour up the hairpin bends road to the high plateau behind Kotor from where we had impressive views of the whole bay. We went onwards to the delapidated and run down old capital of Cetijne where we visited a museum. The Tour then took us back to the coast to Budvar - which is a delightful up and coming resort which benefits from old city walls - it was like a mini version of Dubrovnik. The return coastal drive back to Kotor was also very scenic.

• 5 weeks later...
I took a boat tour out to the two small islands in the bay. Nice half-day tour, beautiful views, interesting artifacts on the island.

My husband walked up to the fortress above the town. Strenuous walk, but he said there were great views.

We'll be in Kotor on Sun., Aug. 22. We just planned on walking around the town. However, your boat tour sounds nice. Did you book it right at the dock? What was the price, could you pay with euros and how long did it take? Did that leave you enough time to see Kotor? Lots of questions!!

We'll be in Kotor on Sun., Aug. 22. We just planned on walking around the town. However, your boat tour sounds nice. Did you book it right at the dock? What was the price, could you pay with euros and how long did it take? Did that leave you enough time to see Kotor? Lots of questions!!

Susan, sorry for the delay....

I booked it as a ship's tour (Oceania) and I really don't remember the price - but it must have been reasonable or I wouldn't have done it.;) We boarded a bus at the ship, then drove around the bay to the town of Perast, which is closest to the islands. We visited a former government building-turned-museum, then boarded a boat to the islands. We returned to Kotor and I had a couple of hours to wander around the old town.

Kotor didn't seem to have many independent tour operators, and I don't think you can go to the islands directly from Kotor. I suggest booking a ship's excursion.

We were there this past May with Oceania.. I'd post my picture of the Insignia in port if I could, SPECTACULAR!!) We hired a local taxi, as you get off the ship they are waiting at the gait. Reasonably priced, can negotiate. We had a welcoming local driver, eager to talk to us about his life, city & country. You will love the scenery and views. We enjoyed this leg of our cruise, including Dubrovnick, found it less 'touristy' and the people very open and welcoming. We plan to go back soon with our grown kids & grand kids!

Dober Dan!

We visited Kotor, etc as part of our diy land vacation

If you would like to see our photos of Kotor and Perast you can see them

at the link below

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Montenegro_Photos.html

In this link you can find out sights to see list for Kotor and Perast which should be helpful for you

in addition to a video of the Bay of Kotor that I'm sure you will enjoy

in each section just scroll to the bottom past the Croatia info

http://ourpassportstamps.com/CroatiaBosniaMontenegro.html

Archived