Amalfi Coast vs. Capri

bhealy

We will be docked in Naples on October 30th. We previously toured Pompeii and Herculaneum. We are thinking about either going to Capri on our own or doing a private tour of the Amalfi Coast. Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks,

It's a little like asking if you like milk or dark chocolate, some folks have more of a taste for one over the other, while others of us like them both just fine.

The Amalfi Coast, while it does have some wonderful towns to stop into and visit, seems to me to be more about the drive and the views. Capri, on the other hand, which also has spectacular views, seems more about the destination. Capri Town and Anacapri have a few places to visit, but strike me as mostly about the shopping (for things I don't really want and couldn't afford anyway, but that's another story). There are fabulous vistas to visit on Capri, and the chair lift to the top of the mountain, and the grottos, of course.

It's a little like asking if you like milk or dark chocolate, some folks have more of a taste for one over the other, while others of us like them both just fine.

The Amalfi Coast, while it does have some wonderful towns to stop into and visit, seems to me to be more about the drive and the views. Capri, on the other hand, which also has spectacular views, seems more about the destination. Capri Town and Anacapri have a few places to visit, but strike me as mostly about the shopping (for things I don't really want and couldn't afford anyway, but that's another story). There are fabulous vistas to visit on Capri, and the chair lift to the top of the mountain, and the grottos, of course.

Thanks. I think we will go to Capri. One of us likes dark vs. milk chocolate and one wants to go to Capri vs. the coast.

We will be docked in Naples on October 30th. We previously toured Pompeii and Herculaneum. We are thinking about either going to Capri on our own or doing a private tour of the Amalfi Coast. Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks,

I'd choose the Amalfi coast - gorgeous views. I got a bit bored on Capri - shops, shops, shops.

If riding on a bus on narrow, curvy roads with the ocean far below, skip the Amalfi drive (but it it very scenic). But it is a beautiful drive.

I have never found Capri boring. As I have stated in other posts, taking the chair lift from Anacapri to the top of Mount Solaro is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and the views are stunning. The Capri shops, however, are vastly over-priced.

I enjoyed Capri. That said, the main town is a mob seen. Also the bus terminal is a mob scene. Our plan was to take the bus, but after the chaos of the area, we hired a cab to take us around and to Ana Capri. There was a chairlift at Ana Capri that had nice views at the top. I would prefer to get out of Capri proper due to the crowds.

I would prefer to get out of Capri proper due to the crowds.

It's almost surreal when you do, because once you get away from Marina Grande, Capri Town and Anacapri, there are very few people around. It's wonderfully quiet and stunningly beautiful.

Archived