To cove or not to cove ?

thrltr

I would appreciate any opinion on this. We will be on the Dream in May and it will be our first balcony. Should I go with the cove or not? Hopefully someone out there has done both types of balconies (of course someone has this is CC) and has a strong opinion one way or the other. Thanks.

Cove.

If you are cruising on the Dream, you might as well take advantage of something so unique to the Dream. The Cove balconies are more private than the balconies above the Lanai promenade, and are close enough to the waterline to give a perspective that is so different from anything available on most other ships.

Great question! Everyone is making the cove a big thing and my hubby is hooked on it but from the photos I've seen it looks too enclosed for me.

Would I be able to just sit there and enjoy a view? Would 4 people across (2 adults, 2 kids) fit to all look at the same time? Ok, we probably wouldn't all be looking at the same time but what if we wanted to? LOL

Just looks too closed up for me... but I could be wrong! Looking forward to seeing the posts. :)

We are looking at booking the Dream next year and debated about the cove balcony vs. a cat 8. We had a cove balcony on the NCL Star (category BD) earlier this year and while I liked the idea that it was enclosed from the sun and rain, I felt it somehow cutdown on the available space. Plus the sound from the cabins below us seemed to echo more than balconies on other ships. I did like it at night though. It was such a peaceful way to end the day or take a nap.

I did notice there was a slight difference in the price between the two categories. Having had both types, I think we prefer the standard balcony.

Having done the regular , and a friend having done the cove , my vote is for the Cove . Nothing worse than looking out and seeing the Lanai below .

Are there balcony cabins that look down directly into the water instead of the lanai??

I am not sure I want the cove balcony because I think I will feel too enclosed and also I don't want to look up and see the lifeboats. Thanks for any help.

We loved our cove balcony. I sat out there frequently and enjoyed the view or read a book. It didn't feel enclosed at all to me. I didn't mind the lifeboats above because I don't typically look straight up and they provided shade which kept the balcony cooler. I would say a family of four could stand out there together and all have a spot at the railing.

The cove balcony our friends had on the Dream was always wet and often received a lot of "mist" as we were sailing. We ended up spending the evenings on our balcony as we were up on the 11th deck and we didn't want to get soaked in salt water. They were mid-ship...so I don't know if it depends where you are in a cove or not.

I would appreciate any opinion on this. We will be on the Dream in May and it will be our first balcony. Should I go with the cove or not? Hopefully someone out there has done both types of balconies (of course someone has this is CC) and has a strong opinion one way or the other. Thanks.

Since this is your first balcony, it's a tough call. We've had a balcony on every cruise and consider it a must. On The Dream we had cove balcony #2309 and really loved it but it is a different experience than the standard balcony. I'd go for the cove balcony since you're on The Dream and then on your next cruise go for a standard balcony to compare for yourself. Enjoy your cruise regardless!

We are looking at booking the Dream next year and debated about the cove balcony vs. a cat 8. We had a cove balcony on the NCL Star (category BD) earlier this year and while I liked the idea that it was enclosed from the sun and rain, I felt it somehow cutdown on the available space. Plus the sound from the cabins below us seemed to echo more than balconies on other ships. I did like it at night though. It was such a peaceful way to end the day or take a nap.

I did notice there was a slight difference in the price between the two categories. Having had both types, I think we prefer the standard balcony.

The difference on the Dream class cove balconies to the Star is that the CCL ones are on deck 2 close to the waterline. NCL "cove" type balconies don't start until deck 8 big difference.

The cove balcony our friends had on the Dream was always wet and often received a lot of "mist" as we were sailing. We ended up spending the evenings on our balcony as we were up on the 11th deck and we didn't want to get soaked in salt water. They were mid-ship...so I don't know if it depends where you are in a cove or not.

I would love to try a cove balcony, but that's what I'm concerned about - that salt water mist.

We are also booked in a cove balcony on the Magic next year. So, this will be our first experience with them. But, I have heard more positives than negatives about the cove, so I am not going to be concerned at all and really enjoy it.:)

Here's the view - 4 months till my cruise in a cove !!:)

Archived