Prepaid Debit Cards?

misspupule

Just throwing this out somewhere to get some answers. Has anyone used one of these cards that's loaded with cash here in the states then used it at ATM's in Europe. Will there be a problem to use it in a restaurant, a shop, or train? Thought this would be safer since then my bank accounts are not on it.

Any thoughts from you travelers is helpful.

thanks

Just throwing this out somewhere to get some answers. Has anyone used one of these cards that's loaded with cash here in the states then used it at ATM's in Europe. Will there be a problem to use it in a restaurant, a shop, or train? Thought this would be safer since then my bank accounts are not on it.

Any thoughts from you travelers is helpful.

thanks

I am wondering about this as well, since I don't think our debit card will work in Europe. I was thinking about an AAA Visa preloaded card. It seems to have all the security of the old "travelers cheques" I recall. I'd love some advice as well. Although a frequent cruiser, our upcoming trip is our first to Europe and I'm feeling a bit green...definitely a newbie!

I am wondering about this as well, since I don't think our debit card will work in Europe. I was thinking about an AAA Visa preloaded card. It seems to have all the security of the old "travelers cheques" I recall. I'd love some advice as well. Although a frequent cruiser, our upcoming trip is our first to Europe and I'm feeling a bit green...definitely a newbie!

I've use the AAA Visa Travel Card in Barcelona at the ATM. I didn't have any problems. Didn't use it in restaurants or stores, but I don't think you'll have any problems there.

These bank issued Debit Travel Money Cards are great . Load it up at home with several currencies if you want to .

For cash go to a participating ATM insert the card select Cheque account and hey presto your'e with cash . Same for retail purchases select Account type as Cheque. You can top up on line from your home bank account if you have on line banking . Great facility and we have used throughout Europe and Asia without a single problem . Much better than cashing Travellers Cheques with woeful exchange rates. In any case many Money Changers are not interested in Travellers Cheques these days .

First time DS went to Europe without me I got one of these for him. AAA charges a bit of a premium, so I wouldn't use it for big amounts of cash. I just wanted something relatively secure for him in case he needed extra cash. In other words, if you want to use it for an extra couple hundred, fine. A couple thousand -- well, I'd find a more cost effective way.

The other thing to be aware of is to make sure the issuer of the card is part of one of the big networks (Cirrus, Plus); otherwise, you may have a hard time finding an ATM that will give you cash.

BTW, you can set up an account just for your travels. That way, no one can access your main checking or savings accounts via your ATM card.

I think fears of someone wiping out your account with your ATM card are a little overblown. When I was pickpocketed in Barcelona, the thieves got my ATM/check card and used it in a couple of restaurants (this is a common scheme with pickpockets) to get some large amounts of cash. However, I reported my card stolen within a couple of hours of the incident. I was not liable for any of the charges and the money was reinstated in my account within 24 hours.

This is also a good reason to have your ATM card be only that, not a combination credit/debit/ATM card. I actually had to argue with Wachovia to get mine that way, but they will do it if you insist. Otherwise, they automatically send you a combination Visa/ATM card.

This is also a good reason to have your ATM card be only that, not a combination credit/debit/ATM card. I actually had to argue with Wachovia to get mine that way, but they will do it if you insist. Otherwise, they automatically send you a combination Visa/ATM card.

Yes, I learned after that experience. :o My travel account has a card that is debit only. I am also a big proponent of some type of money belt or pouch and of leaving at least one credit card on board ship (or in your hotel safe).

Archived