Ship left now what?????

KROBI

You mean, I assume, by returning late for re-embarkation, say due to your own fault. I've also wondered about that.

Bill

PS: For example, can you say on the insurance claim form: "I dawdled too long in the jewelry shop and forgot the time"?

[quote name='billie5']You mean, I assume, by returning late for re-embarkation, say due to your own fault. I've also wondered about that.

Bill

PS: For example, can you say on the insurance claim form: "I dawdled too long in the jewelry shop and forgot the time"?[/quote]
You could, but I would think that "Montezuma's Revenge" would be a better excuse to travel insurance company.

[quote name='AZ Karaoke Girl']This sounds crazy to me. A cruise ship isn't a ferry where you simply catch the next one. Most ships sail full and they even have trouble when they have to displace someone when there is a problem with a cabin. Try asking your ship if you can move your cabin once you show up at the pier and they will most likely say "sorry but we are sailing full and there are no available cabins" so the thought of staying behind and catching next weeks ship sounds crazy to me. If you want to stay in a port, then fly there.:rolleyes:[/quote]

Lisa I believe you're right. My daughter-in-law told me the same thing. She also told me I shouldn't be writing to Mr. John Harold bothering him with my nonsense questions.

[quote name='billie5']As far as taking your passport with you ashore (which I never do), this is really a mathematics question. Are more passports taken ashore stolen by pickpockets than cruisers who get stranded at a port requiring a passport to rejoin the cruise?

Bill :)[/quote]

Totally agree. I never take my PP - I'll deal with it in the unlikely event, I would need it.

As to the PP card, they are pretty much useless unless you are a local that needs to commute between countries:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. [B]The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."[/B]

[quote name='homepukes']Does travel insurance cover missing the ship?[/quote]

Only for (relatively few) reasons identified in each Policy. None of the Polcies cover things like losing track of time and shopping or drinking too long and missing the ship. They might cover a late-running excursion delayed by mechanical failure, but not an excursion that's just late. ken

[quote name='blindrid']Totally agree. I never take my PP - I'll deal with it in the unlikely event, I would need it. [/quote]

We're never going to settle this argument. Everyone has their own opinion. That's life. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

However, IMHO, this statement is the best argument I've ever heard IN FAVOR of taking one's passport ashore. If you have it with you when you need it, there's nothing to deal with. Its one less problem in what, I'm sure, is a very stressful situation. You will have other problems, but lack of a passport won't be one of them.

Oh well, to each his/her own. The only reason I even respond in these threads any more is that sometimes, newbies, don't understand all the ramifications. If someone understands what can happen and chooses not to carry their passport, fine.

Paul

We're never going to settle this argument. Everyone has their own opinion. That's life. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

However, IMHO, this statement is the best argument I've ever heard IN FAVOR of taking one's passport ashore. If you have it with you when you need it, there's nothing to deal with. Its one less problem in what, I'm sure, is a very stressful situation. You will have other problems, but lack of a passport won't be one of them.

Oh well, to each his/her own. The only reason I even respond in these threads any more is that sometimes, newbies, don't understand all the ramifications. If someone understands what can happen and chooses not to carry their passport, fine.

Paul

On cruise ships, I always leave my PP in the safe, but cary a photocopy of it on me. When traveling in general, I always keep it one my person.

Paul

I totally agree to disagree with you on this one as everyone has their opinion and fear tolerances. I do not worry about the circumstances in life that have a minimal chance of happening. Some do and that's OK.

With some of the newbies, I would think a biggest concern would be having a acceptable credit card with a high enough limit to afford to pay to get home on short notice, not the PP.

Have a great day.

I totally agree to disagree with you on this one as everyone has their opinion and fear tolerances. I do not worry about the circumstances in life that have a minimal chance of happening. Some do and that's OK.

With some of the newbies, I would think a biggest concern would be having a acceptable credit card with a high enough limit to afford to pay to get home on short notice, not the PP.

Have a great day.

Of course some people do. Hence the whole point of this thread. I mean, really, what are the odds of anyone missing the ship due to an excursion being late to begin with? As others have pointed out, most people who are left simply stayed at a bar too long. And anyone who would worry about having enough credit to get a flight home from a foreign port would by those very circumstances be forced to worry about the passport.

People who worry about the very remote possibility of being left on the island are probably the exact types who should go ahead and get the passport, carry it and extra credit cards off the ship so that they have peace of mind.

Of course some people do. Hence the whole point of this thread. I mean, really, what are the odds of anyone missing the ship due to an excursion being late to begin with? As others have pointed out, most people who are left simply stayed at a bar too long. And anyone who would worry about having enough credit to get a flight home from a foreign port would by those very circumstances be forced to worry about the passport.

People who worry about the very remote possibility of being left on the island are probably the exact types who should go ahead and get the passport, carry it and extra credit cards off the ship so that they have peace of mind.

My comment on the CC issue was due to the fact that a lot of people on here do not have CC's, don't use them or have them maxxed out. I was surprised how many of those posts are on here.

Knowing my luck, I would have a card that wouldn't accept charges due to my not notifying them prior to leaving the country. Gosh, I thought of another possiblity for disaster .. . . . . . . . :rolleyes:.

Maybe one should just move to the Caribbean.

in belize on one cruise i was on there were 4 people who stayed a bit to long at the bar. the harbor police were glad to run them out to the ship. for $500/each CASH.

on grand cayman on the same cruise a van (not official ship tour van) got into a wreck. noone was hurt bad. it was early in the day so im assuming they made it back to the ship in time but not sure of what ever happened to them.

you just never know............ my 1st several cruises i didnt venture out much on my own and did the cruise run tours. im to the point now that i have a bit more cruise experience in venturing out on my own with non ship tours.

My comment on the CC issue was due to the fact that a lot of people on here do not have CC's, don't use them or have them maxxed out. I was surprised how many of those posts are on here.

Knowing my luck, I would have a card that wouldn't accept charges due to my not notifying them prior to leaving the country. Gosh, I thought of another possiblity for disaster .. . . . . . . . :rolleyes:.

Maybe one should just move to the Caribbean.

True very true......got my passport........but no money:p

Archived