Tipping on P& O

Gilpet

We are going on our first P&O cruise and haven't seen anything about tipping. Can anybody tell me if P&O operate a pre-paid gratuity system as RCI do?

They do publish recommended tipping levels but not sure about pre-payment apart from on Freedom Dining which we did. If you are on Freedom Dining then the tips for the waiting staff are added to your account. I think it was £1.50 per day which was the same as the recommended level for your cabin steward (which we paid directly to ours).

If you dont already know there is no service charge added to bar prices or wine at dinner.

There is no prepayment of tips on P&O. If you are on Freedom dining an auto tip is added to your account. From the P&O website....

First of all, please do not worry about it. Who, when and how much you tip is at your discretion. Tips are usually given in cash at the end of your holiday to your stateroom Steward, Restaurant Stewards in the Club Dining restaurants, and to any other staff who you feel you wish to reward. The amount you tip is entirely up to you although, as a guide, we recommend a total amount per person (aged 12 and over) of £3.10 per day, which covers all staff who have looked after you during your holiday. The only exception to this is for passengers travelling on Oceana and Ventura who have opted to enjoy the flexibility of Freedom Dining as, with this style of dining, you may be seated at a different table and served by a different waiter on each occasion. We will therefore add an automatic service charge of £1.60 per passenger, per day to your shipboard account for the Restaurant Stewards. You will, of course, be able to increase or decrease this charge at your discretion by visiting Reception at any point during your cruise. You can also tip any other staff, including your stateroom Steward, as you feel appropriate. Further details of who and when you should tip can be found in your stateroom.

http://www.pocruises.com/Help/Money/

Brian

Compared to RCI the suggested P&O tips are peanuts. £1.60 for freedom dining to cover Maitre'd, headwaiters, waiters and wine waiter (which can be removed if requested). Recommended level for the cabin steward is £10 a week per passenger.

Reading other threads I understand RCI automatically charge about £8 a day per passenger and you have to request to have it removed plus 15% on every drink.

The tip to your 2 waiters is not shared by the wine wiater/waitress. The wine person receives a % of sales but not added on top of the cost that you see advertised. You can tip if you feel their service has been above the usual standard.

The waiters do share their tips with those behind the scenes who supply the food for their tables and plate the main part of the meal and fill the vegetable dishes.

As fas as I am aware they neither share their tips with the restaurant manager or other senior staff, though, if they has been of service to you, of course you can tip if you so wish.

We are going on our first P&O cruise and haven't seen anything about tipping. Can anybody tell me if P&O operate a pre-paid gratuity system as RCI do?

Yes and no :) If you are on Freedom dining then they do add an amount per day to your account. You can get this removed/altered though if you wish. As already said they set this at £1.60 per day. The guidelines for your cabin steward is £1.50 per person per day.

All other tipping is at your discretion. They provide you with envelopes and guidelines.

Have a great time!

i always use $$$$$$, and if the rate is good, makes more sense ;) also crew prefer this currency for trips ashore & sending back home. as for tipping who were & when, put it this way, i always look after those i have something to gain from??????

i always use $$$$$$, and if the rate is good, makes more sense ;) also crew prefer this currency for trips ashore & sending back home. as for tipping who were & when, put it this way, i always look after those i have something to gain from??????

The crew prefer american $ on a P&O British based ship? Well , I've never heard that one before, always thought they preferred British currency or failing that euros? They are often seen on the crew buses going into Southampton on turnaround day for their booze and toiletries, won't get far with the $ there.?

That's right Sue!

Plus we would be paying for converting to $s and they would too for converting those $s back to £s!!!:confused:

I gave a few euros to bar stewards on the last night of our last cruise (all overcome with generosity - I had used all my £s up on tips!!! ) but they would be able to spend them on the next cruise.

Caryl

The crew prefer american $ on a P&O British based ship? Well , I've never heard that one before, always thought they preferred British currency or failing that euros? They are often seen on the crew buses going into Southampton on turnaround day for their booze and toiletries, won't get far with the $ there.?

im only saying what an actual steward, bar, and room service told me, more to do with were they come from,(goa) rather than were the ships registered( bermuda) or even built (fance, germany, italy, finland)

other than that, as you say "shes" british?:confused:

I have seen suggestions on another forum saying, use up any odd leftovers of currency for your tips. Personally I think this is an insult, as wherever the crew have their main bank account it must involve them in some loss on conversion to the currency of their choice. If they, as many do, are sending money back home, this involves yet another loss for them or their family on converting the money to local currency.

As Southampton is the home port for P&O ships, despite some of them being based in the Caribbean for the winter, I would have thought that the crew would prefer their tips in sterling. We have always tipped in Sterling, no matter which part of the world we were in, and I mean all over the world.

If you look in any P&O broucher you will see that it is recommended you pay in pounds stirling.

eg....page 32 What is tipping etiquette...

Blah Blah ..we suggest £1.50 per passanger (aged 12 and over)per day for your cabin steward and £1.60 ser person per day for your silver service waiters.

If you choose freedom dining £1.60 will be added to you onboard account.

All other tips are at your disgression.:)

I have seen suggestions on another forum saying, use up any odd leftovers of currency for your tips. Personally I think this is an insult, as wherever the crew have their main bank account it must involve them in some loss on conversion to the currency of their choice. If they, as many do, are sending money back home, this involves yet another loss for them or their family on converting the money to local currency.

As Southampton is the home port for P&O ships, despite some of them being based in the Caribbean for the winter, I would have thought that the crew would prefer their tips in sterling. We have always tipped in Sterling, no matter which part of the world we were in, and I mean all over the world.

which is why i pay tips in dollars, as the people who serve & waiter over us, are contracted in $$$$$$$$$$$$, and pound sterling, does not go far in goa, but the dollar does, look, just saying what ive heard from staff, who work the industry.

Could I just comment that P&O tips are a lot less than the US cruise lines such a Celebrity. At least half the rate!

Ask the cabin steward which currency they prefer if you have $$$ and £££. As most are from Goa, I would image they want £££. I gave our Indian steward £££s on our last cruise and he was so happy

Archived