Dropping off luggage at pier

kia

More newbie questions! I wasn't sure if I should post this on the Carnival board or the New Orleans board, but here goes - We (two adults and three older children) are departing on the Sensation from New Orleans and want to spend some time in the city. Since we are staying at the Embassy Suites, we will probably visit the D-Day museum and then return for our luggage around 11:30 am to walk to the pier before we head to the French Quarter. Is anyone familar with this process? I was wondering exactly where we should go, how long it might take, and then the best way to get to the FQ. Sorry for all the questions, but we are getting really excited for our first cruise. Thanks, Kia

The dock isn't within walking distance to the Quarter, in my opinion....at least, I'd never try it! Cab from there to the Quarter will run you $7 per person!:eek: That's the standard fare from most any point A to point B in downtown N.O. - even for a 2 block ride.

Are you arriving in N.O. early enough the day before to "do" the Quarter? You'll really be pushing it to try to do D-Day Museum AND the Quarter all on cruise day.

We are arriving the night before. Maybe I am trying to cram too much stuff in the part of one day that we will be there. I wasn't sure if the streetcar could take us to the FQ, maybe just for lunch. We can take a taxi , I just thought the kids would enjoy the streetcar. Thanks Cotten, Kia

oh mi Cotton: How far is the quarter from the dock?? I remember walking and walking in August on our Sensation cruise.. The humidty...WOW. I think I melted halfway through our walking tour.

Try to do some of your FQ touring the evening before -- Bourbon St. is much more "interesting" at night, although depending on the age of your children you may want to be careful about that (and stay just on Bourbon St. at night, or very close to it on those few side streets where you also see lots of tourists -- some of the areas beyond this just aren't wise to be in or around at night).

As for the day of your cruise, I agree with others that you'll be challenged to fit much in. Get up early, take a taxi to the Cafe du Monde for beignets, walk around the flea market / Jax brewery area in that vicinity, the square around St. Louis cathedral and from there up to the Bourbon St. area if you have time. Go down Bourbon St. towards Canal St., and from there I'd catch a taxi to save time back to the cruise terminal area. If you confine your walking within the immediate French Quarter and take taxis both ways you can cover most these highlights in 2 or 3 hours.

However, N.O. is worth spending much more time visiting than it sounds like your time allows. There are many interesting streets parallel to Bourbon to go up and down, and the streets intersecting these. The streetcar between Canal St. and the Garden District is also worth it.

Archived