Your Time Dining

rosieado

We are sailing on the December 5 2010 Victory cruise and elected to try out 'Your Time' dining. There are just two of us. Has anyone else tried this before. How exactly does it work. What did you like about it. What did you not like about it.

Thanks!

We are sailing on the December 5 2010 Victory cruise and elected to try out 'Your Time' dining. There are just two of us. Has anyone else tried this before. How exactly does it work. What did you like about it. What did you not like about it.

Thanks!

It works just like going out to eat at home. You show up when they are open and ask for a table.

They seat you, you place your order, you eat, you leave.

I like it because I go when I want to go. If it takes me longer to get ready than I was planning, no big deal. Much more relaxing.

Your Time Dining was intended more for couples than groups and in that sense it works brilliantly. The majority of folks who opt for YTD will ask for a table for two and are generally seated in a matter of minutes, if not immediately.

If there is a wait you'll be given a pager what will alert you when your table is ready.

Not too long ago, a woman posted here complaining about Your Time Dining. They had a group of 12, I believe it was, and they were unable to be seated for quite some time. So, if it's just two of you it's perfect! If you're part of a crowd, not so much.

:)

There are probably dozens of threads here that dissect this issue, with all sorts of opinions expressed about the "good" and "bad". I love anytime dining, and will always choose it over traditional, when available.

It is simple: you show up at the dining room during the hours that it's open, and when you want to eat. You're seated, you're handed a menu, and served. If you happen to show up when there are lots of people in front of you waiting to be seated, you might have to wait a bit. You can either choose to stand in line, or go off, have a beverage, come back a little later, and the line should be clear.

If you're a party larger than 4 or 6, it might take longer -- just as it would in a land-based restaurant, as they have to do some re-arranging of tables to accommodate you. If you're patient, they'll do that and you'll be seated together.

The good - it's flexible. You don't have to rush back from excursions to get to the dining room at a set time. If you're busy on the ship with something..or just don't want to eat right at a set time, you're free to go anytime you want (when the dining room is open.) If you meet people on the cruise that you want to spend time with, you're free to all go to dinner together (not, "...oh..I'm in "late seating" and you're in early...we'll ahve to split up!)

The good: You won't have to put up with the "waiter shows" -- singing/dancing waiters, parades, all that sort of nonsense.

The bad: No, you won't necessarily get the same waiters each night. If you happen to be seated in the same section, you might, but not necessarily. No, they won't have noted your preferences, and be pouring your favorite beverage as you walk across the dining room to your seat. You might have to (gasp!) ask for what you want...just as you do in a land-based restaurant.

The bad: If you happen to like the singing waiters thing, or like pretending that the "waiters are my friends" and so "we'll share anecdotes about our family lives"... you'll miss this, with anytime dining. The waiters will be excellent (usually), to be sure...professional, efficient, get you what you want...but won't be "friends".

The bad: No, you won't necessarily get the same waiters each night. If you happen to be seated in the same section, you might, but not necessarily. No, they won't have noted your preferences, and be pouring your favorite beverage as you walk across the dining room to your seat. You might have to (gasp!) ask for what you want...just as you do in a land-based restaurant.

The bad: If you happen to like the singing waiters thing, or like pretending that the "waiters are my friends" and so "we'll share anecdotes about our family lives"... you'll miss this, with anytime dining. The waiters will be excellent (usually), to be sure...professional, efficient, get you what you want...but won't be "friends".

We tried YTD for the first time on the Fantasy in March. I selected it because of not wanting to share a table with strangers (awkward!)....well, after the cruise ended I realized that I missed the strangers, lol

I missed the things mentioned above by uppitycats. Since we had a different waiter everynight our service varied from good to average to below average. I missed the friendly "personal" service of assigned dining. I also missed the entertainment....the show were happening around you.

YTD is great for couples who want to spend quality time together and I will book it when cruising w/ hubby. Otherwise I would prefer assigned dining.

Since you are going on the Victory cruise, anytime dining is a good idea. That cruise is so port intensive that you are tired by the time you get back on the ship. This way you can go to dinner when you feel like it.

Thanks!

I just got back yesterday from a cruise on the Miracle, and it was my first time using the anytime dining on a Carnival ship. It was in one word, fantastic. We never had to wait for a table for four, and when we all didn't show up at the same time we still got a table for four, which we needed since I'm into a "tasting menu" if you will. Most days, we got the same table for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The first time we showed up for breakfast, they tried to sit us down at a table for multiple diners, which already had folks sitting there. I asked for a "personal" table instead, and they moved us without a problem and never tried to sit us with anyone else after that... I hope the woman that was sitting there with a child (I think) didn't take offense.

One suggestion I'd make is if you show up shortly before breakfast or lunch is slotted to end, order two of the items you may want more of, just in case.

I noticed someone mentioned the singing and dancing wait staff not performing in the your time section, and that wasn't true in our case. In fact, members of my "crew" got up and danced with the wait staff and depending on how the video clips turn out, I may post them on youtube. LOL

Is there any way that you can get the same waiters every night?

Yes, just ask to be seated in the same section. Everything seems to be computerized, and the hostess asks for your room number, looks on her computer screen and the wait staff seats you, etc. We didn't even ask and for the most part, not only were we seated in the same section, but we were seated at the same table. This happened during other meals as well.

Is there any way that you can get the same waiters every night?

Yes... well... maybe.

If you're pleased with your wait team you can speak to the Maitre d' after dinner and request the same team for the remainder of the cruise. If scheduling permits they will make every effort to have them serve you.

I have done Anytime Dining Twice (On the Dream and the Pride). Both times my first night waiters were great and the second night, not so much. On both occasions I requested the crew on the third night and were seated with no problem. After that the Hostess made sure we had the same group. Bianca on the Dream and Ida on the Pride were amazing! Just ask the hostess and they'll take care of you.

We also had no trouble getting the same wait staff each night for our table for 2 using Your Time Dining.

We didn't have to do anything special. We just told the person seating us the name of the waiter we wanted and she sat us in his section each time.

Yes... well... maybe.

If you're pleased with your wait team you can speak to the Maitre d' after dinner and request the same team for the remainder of the cruise. If scheduling permits they will make every effort to have them serve you.

This has not been our experience.....if we liked the wait team we just ask for them at the host desk when we showed up for dinner every evening........the maitre d' was never involved........

Another great thing about your time is if you have a horrible wait team you never have to go back to them.......and we have experienced a few.........

We never had to wait any extended amount of time (longest was maybe 5 minutes) but we did notice that we normally went to a later dinner and could have just had late dining. I did love the option of eating whenever we wanted though and really had no complaints.

We loved it. If one night we wanted to watch an early movie on the Seaside theater we would then goto dinner afterwards. If we had a busy night where we would want to see the Main Show and goto the Comedy Club we could. We would eat right in between. It allows you to be very flexible and have your dinner when you want to and work around your nightly plans.

I have heard everything from people who love it to people comparing it to a busy restaurant on a Friday night. I would think that each sailing would be different because of how many people actually take advantage of this dining option.

We love it. We've done it as a couple and with our 3 yr. old. My husband and I have never waited more than a few minutes for a table and we've requested a booth. On our cruise in May we were seated in 2 waiters areas but the waiters were husband and wife. The tips are properly divided because the dining room computer system keeps track of your dining area. We had the best service of any of our 20 plus cruises on this cruise. We like not having to make small talk and having a more intimate dining experience. On regular dining you can get great tablemates and people that you have absolutely nothing in common with. We will always do anytime dining from now on.

I have heard everything from people who love it to people comparing it to a busy restaurant on a Friday night. I would think that each sailing would be different because of how many people actually take advantage of this dining option.

I have done it on two sailings. Both "sold out" and the only time we waited was one time on the Pride and it was enough time to walk to the bar and order a drink. The Bartender didn't even have it done it when the little buzzer the give you went off.

we loved the flexibility, and even when given a pager one night didn't have a wait longer than 15 minutes.

the hostess knew all our names by the 2nd night (without presenting our S&S) i was impressed with her, not so much with the waiters.:confused:

we were asked the 2nd night if we wanted the same section, we elected for different; a slight improvement. Only on the last MDR meal did we receive what i felt was above-par service & only time the table was 'crumbed'. Yes, it's a small detail and many could care less, imo adds to the experience.

the waiters seemed brusque and very rushed, spotty (if any) drink service, orders incomplete, missing entrees & (gasp) the lava cake ranging from soupy to well-done:pstill tasted good though. Always amazed me in the past how a ship's galley can produce so many meals @ a surprisingly good level to detail.

when i discussed overall unsatisfactory experience with head waiter, he indicated that they were still 'speed bumps' in the anytime dining system and they were working hard to resolve...can't really ask for more i guess.

Another great thing about your time is if you have a horrible wait team you never have to go back to them.......and we have experienced a few.........

I never would have thought of this until our cruise we just got back from. Our team was awful they messed up every meal every night. It got to be a joke between me and my family what they would mess up each night. They were friendly just very poor at what they did. We watched all the good staffs waiting on the other tables. We did have the early seating because of our children. We were on the top level with the anytime dining group. We noticed at the 6 O'Clock seating there was always a long, long line for the anytime. They would fill up their side then there would be a longer wait as they now how to empty tables after all the courses and desserts. So I would wait until a later time when more tables are starting to cycle.

Thanks!

My wife and I did anytime dining (table for 2) on the Victory in March. Worked well for us, and as another poster mentioned, is particularly good for such a port-intensive cruise when you're never really sure just when you'll get back to the ship, or how tired you'll be when you do. Here's a couple of observations/tips specific to the Victory...

In March, the anytime dining was hosted on the second floor of the Atlantic dining room while standard early/late was on the main floor. Assume it was the same arrangement in the aft Pacific dining room as well. This was not a problem, except that the upper level is the boat deck, with no windows. Not a problem for us as we normally ate after dark, but I'm offering it up as a 'factoid' in case this is important to you.

The first night, we were seated at a table for two and found that they were rather small and close to other guests. Afterward, we asked to be seated by ourselves at a table for four and never had a problem having our request filled. As the tables for four overlook the main floor, we not only had extra room, but also the opportunity to watch the singing/dancing waiters. We may have lucked out in that this cruise may have not had many anytime dining foursomes with which to compete, but don't hesitate to ask.

On our second night, we had a waiter with whom we 'hit if off'. From then on, we requested his services at the time we showed up for dinner and never had a problem being seated in his area.

There was only one time that we had to wait for a table, and that was all of 10 minutes with a pager in the closest lounge. I wish we were so lucky with our local restaurants.

Anytime dining on the Victory certainly worked for us, and we'd definitely do it again.

Hope this helps...

If we have 4 people in our party..but it is 2 couples..can we eat together some nights..but other nights get just a table for 2? Or will we have to eat as a group of 4 all of the time?

Did that make sense the way I asked it? I have been up way to long.

Archived