Wine in the glasses question

Aldeya

We like to order wine by a glass in MDR to enjoy with our dinner. I was doing "wine" search on the board and someone on an old thread wrote this:

"If you ask them not to put your drinks in the glasses you can keep the drink will cost less."

Can someone clarify for me what does it mean? It's nice to save some bucks but are they putting wine in paper cups or somehing if you make this request?:D

We like to order wine by a glass in MDR to enjoy with our dinner. I was doing "wine" search on the board and someone on an old thread wrote this:

"If you ask them not to put your drinks in the glasses you can keep the drink will cost less."

Can someone clarify for me what does it mean? It's nice to save some bucks but are they putting wine in paper cups or somehing if you make this request?:D

Sounds like this is referring to the souvenir glass that the "drink of the day" comes in. If you order it from the bar and ask for a regular glass it's cheaper than ordering it in the souvenir glass.

Doesn't work for wine, though. ;)

It sounds like that poster was talking about the souvenier glasses they sell with mixed drinks. I think we paid $2.50 extra per drink back in April. FWIW, You might be better off ordering a bottle of wine the first night. They will store it for you and every night (no matter where you are dining) they will retrieve your bottle for you.

Wine is always served in wine glasses according to type of wine ie red, or white. You do not get to keep these glasses.

However if you order a cocktail such as Miami Vice it could be given to you in a glass with Norwegian stamped on it. It could be plasic (most often) or glass. These ones you get to keep. Usually the first drink on board is given in these and they cost. That drink runs around $8-$10. This is where people tell you that you can save money on a cruise. Now the drink of the day is $4.95 (+ the auto gratuity of 15-18%) plus they usually give it to you in a plasic cup that you can keep but it adds to the price making it $8.95. If you do not get the special glass it is only the $4.95 (+ tip).

On a related note, remember to be aware of what you are paying for when you order a cocktail. I have seen many people who did not realize they were paying for both the drink AND the souvenir glass, then they just leave the glass when they get up to leave. Sounds like an extra money maker for the cruise line when this happens!

Archived