Silversea Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong - November 2010

Alldee

I have been reading various reports about poor shore trips offered by Silversea on this cruise, and I wonder if anyone could guide me through the best experiences. We have booked the Mekong Delta and the extended day to Hanoi, as they sound to be interesting, but should be grateful for any advice about Ho Chi Min city, Shanghai and Taiwan. Okinawa is also on the itinerary - is it worth a visit?

We took this cruise two years ago. It was wonderful and I think you will have a great time. We used all private guides. In the cities, I'm not sure that it made much of a difference, but I know that in Halong Bay, those on the ship's tour did not see as much or have anywhere near the fabulous experience which we did.

Thanks Zimmy, do you remember which guides you used? Also, what was the weather like, please? I have heard so many conflicting stories about whether it is the end of the hurricane season, and have not a clue what sort of clothes to take. We are doing Singapore Hong Kong, and then Hong Kong back to Hong Kong. Which ship did you travel on?

Thanks Zimmy, do you remember which guides you used? Also, what was the weather like, please? I have heard so many conflicting stories about whether it is the end of the hurricane season, and have not a clue what sort of clothes to take. We are doing Singapore Hong Kong, and then Hong Kong back to Hong Kong. Which ship did you travel on?

We were on the Whisper. I believe that it was November of 2008, because the financial crash happened while we were away. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the guide agency because our travel agent made all the arrangements and we paid her rather than the agency. It was not one of the guides listed earlier on this thread, but I have heard of them and am under the impression that they are fine. We, like you, heard all kinds of horror stories regarding the weather. Not true, at least it didn't happen to us. The weather in Singapore was intolerably hot and humid, but I understand that this is an all year thing. When you walk out of the hotel your glasses steam up - I don't know how they stand it, but everyone seems happy. Saigon is also hot and humid, as is the Mekong Delta. Then it got better. As you go north, the weather becomes more pleasant. The north of Vietnam was lovely weather. The weather in Hong Kong was magnificent. We must have had little or no rain, because I certainly don't remember any. I wore linen most of the time, and it was a good choice. Sleveless shirts make sense, also. Do not count on wearing anything twice. It is definitely wear once and off to the laundry or cleaners. You also need a good insect repellant which needs to be worn during the daytime because of the mosquitos which carry dengue fever. We did not take any malaria pills because we were on the coast rather than in the interior of the country. If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.

Archived