Venice Transportation Help

magiceye

We will be staying on the grand canal near the Rialto bridge for two days pre-cruise. Can anyone tell me how to get from the hotel to the cruise port. I see that from Piazzale Roma one can take the Peoplemover to the port, but how do we get to Piazzale Roma? Your help is appreciated.

The easiest way is to hire a private water taxi (your hotel can arrange this); it's fairly expensive, but will go directly from your hotel to the cruise port, with no need for other transporation or walking.

Far less expensive, but also less convenient, would be to take the vaporetto (#1 line) to Piazzale Roma and switch there to the People Mover.

We will be staying on the grand canal near the Rialto bridge for two days pre-cruise. Can anyone tell me how to get from the hotel to the cruise port. I see that from Piazzale Roma one can take the Peoplemover to the port, but how do we get to Piazzale Roma? Your help is appreciated.

http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

you will enjoy Venice more if you buy or borrow a guide book and buy a map

My plan was to use the much cheaper forms of public transportation recently on our cruise (Barcelona to Venice). Planned to use the Aerobus in Barcelona from AP which would have dropped us relaively close to the hotel and the Alilaguna water shuttle in Venice.

Then, reality set in for me. After a long flight to Barcelona, somehow $30 for a cab from the AP directly to our hotel (and it was hot) seemed well worth it. We stayed in Venice a few extra days and I paid the $100 for a water taxi to the AP. Venice, with all its steps up and down and over bridges on the canals (and no ramps) and you are dragging luggage in the heat to get to a cheaper form of transportation, well, that kind of did it for me. I laugh now thinking I'd spent thousands of dollars for a cruise and yet the thought of spending the $130 to and from hotels and AP somehow bothered me but door to door delivery was well worth it in the end. Just my two cents worth.

Financgirl - I just booked transportation from Barcelona to our hotel for this very reason. We are a family travelling together and have 6 adults and 2 children. Can you provide the name of the company you used in Venice - we need to arrange for an early morning water taxi.

Thanks - Also how did you get from the ship to your hotel?

Financgirl - I just booked transportation from Barcelona to our hotel for this very reason. We are a family travelling together and have 6 adults and 2 children. Can you provide the name of the company you used in Venice - we need to arrange for an early morning water taxi.

Thanks - Also how did you get from the ship to your hotel?

We stayed 2 extra days in Venice. I didn't use a company. I was staying at a hotel in St Mark's Square that was available for ship luggage delivery if you purchased a Princess ship transfer which I never normally purchase. For $39 per person, we got off the ship, located our luggage in the terminal, walked a few feet to an area where they moved your luggage to bins marked to your specific hotel for delivery later that day. We boarded a water shuttle over to St Marks' Square about 9am and had breakfast and about 1pm, checked into our hotel and our luggage was already there.

The morning we left, I had the hotel call us a water taxi and the hotel porter came up and retrieved our luggage and moved it down to the back water taxi platform and we were on our way. Just know that none of this was cheap - the trip to the AP from hotel cost $100 euro and with the ship's transfers it was another $78 euro just for transportation in Venice. But all of this was door to door and no dragging luggage up and down steps or over bridges.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived