Acapulco excursion help needed!!

angiebabes

Has anyone done the excursion that involves letting baby turtles go in Acapulco? It says on P & O site:) its ' a once in a lifetime excursion'. If anyone has done this or had it listed on their excursion booklet i would be grateful if you could tell me how much it cost and was it worth it???

Angie

x

Angie

We will be in Acapulco for a day early next year on Arcadia - and are therefore also interested in any replies to your post.

Where do these baby turtles come from? Are they bred in captivity and then released into the wild?

We have beach(es) here where you can see the baby turtles hatching from their eggs (in the wild) and then making their way to the water. Have never seen it yet - but I think it would be a wonderful thing to see. The workings of Nature like this fascinate me.

Barry

Not sure but if you read below this is whats on the P & O excursion site for Acapulco:-

:)At the peaceful Casa del Mar, baby turtles are awaiting to be released. Marine turtles are an endangered species. It has been estimated that for every 1,000 born, only one will reach the adult stage.

Get ready and release your turtle into the ocean; liberate the rest of the nest and watch as they start their new life in the wild. You will be helping the conservation of the sea turtles. A true once in a lifetime experience!:)

Sounds great doesnt it??? Would be nice to here from anyone who has done this trip???

Angie

x

Not sure but if you read below this is whats on the P & O excursion site for Acapulco:-

:)At the peaceful Casa del Mar, baby turtles are awaiting to be released. Marine turtles are an endangered species. It has been estimated that for every 1,000 born, only one will reach the adult stage.

Get ready and release your turtle into the ocean; liberate the rest of the nest and watch as they start their new life in the wild. You will be helping the conservation of the sea turtles. A true once in a lifetime experience!:)

Sounds great doesnt it??? Would be nice to here from anyone who has done this trip???

Angie

x

Hi,

We did this excursion from Oceana in our Panama Canal transit in February 2010.

It cost around £65 each if I remember rightly and was from 9.15 to 12.15 (other trips were available during the day).

We left on time on a small coach (around 20 people) with a charming Mexican host and were taken to a local market to buy souvenirs, where we met up with another 4 or 5 coaches, after 30 mins or so we made our way to the next bay to Acapulco passing Sly Stones amazing property.

When we arrived at our location it was a high quality hotel, and we were given a soft drink and when all the coaches arrived around 100 people we were given a talk by the Turtle preservation trust.

It appears turtle eggs are a delicacy in Mexico particularly for Weddings and festival and the eggs are stolen for these events.

The trust patrols the beach each night and watches for turtles coming ashore each night, and as they lay their eggs, they pick them up and take them away to look after them.

If I remember rightly it takes around 28 days for them to hatch and then we the tourist are allowed to release them to the wild.

In our case around 1000 were released that day and they said they had raised the odds from one surviving hatching to around 10 (this excludes those stolen that never hatch).

The only way of knowing if it works is in around 7 years when they reach maturity and the females return to lay eggs. (Hopefully a lot more than now).

Hope I haven’t overdone it there is still plenty I haven’t told you, so not to spoil your day.

I thought it was one of our best excursions and I hope Taffy and Marcia (Our Turtles) are still in the Pacific Ocean growing stronger.

Sorry for length, hope it helped

Carl

Archived