Trying to find a cruise

hylasgirl

I have been searching the cruise sites to try and find a cruise that starts or ends in Rome... one that doesn't include much of Greece or Turkey. I am getting so bored with these itineraries. They are all the same... I wish they could mix it up a bit.

It seems the only major cruise lines that cruise out of Civitavecchia are HAL's Noordam... Celebrity's new ships, which I prefer but they all go to Greece and Turkey...

Anyone know of any others? It doesn't need to be round trip but I want something that starts or ends there.

I have been searching the cruise sites to try and find a cruise that starts or ends in Rome... one that doesn't include much of Greece or Turkey. I am getting so bored with these itineraries. They are all the same... I wish they could mix it up a bit.

It seems the only major cruise lines that cruise out of Civitavecchia are HAL's Noordam... Celebrity's new ships, which I prefer but they all go to Greece and Turkey...

Anyone know of any others? It doesn't need to be round trip but I want something that starts or ends there.

Seabourn Spirit often sails into/out of or even round trips from Rome. You should check them out, if they are in your price range (i'd suggest looking for deals on them since they are pricy).

Otherwise yeah, when I looked this year, I found a few; HAL Noordam, Princess (Ocean Princess). The others I found were usually out of Venice or Barcelona (I chose one out of Venice).

I love Rome. I would love to start or end there so I can spend a few days roaming once again in Rome, however, I needed to consider the fact that it is a very large world and I've seen little of it, so I didn't choose my instinct of rome as a start or end point...this time. :-)

For Spring 2011, it looks like RCCL have two ships going out of Civitavecchia (Mariner and Navigator). You might look at their schedules, it looks like they are mostly roundtrip to Civitavecchia.

Also in Spring 2011 Oceania Insignia has a couple of interesting cruises out of Civitavecchia; one does Egypt, Israel, and some other unusual ports -- I don't know if you've done that part of the Med yet. Another does the Western Med from Civitavecchia to Southern France, then Spain, Portugal, Northern France, and ends in London -- another interesting itinerary.

You did not give a time frame but we are on Celebrity Equinox on October, 2010 leaving and returning to Rome. The itinerary also includes Egypt, Israel, Corfu, Naples and Messina. Something to look into?

I don't know all of the itineraries/ships very well so all I can tell you is what we are on.

We're doing a 7 night round-trip out of Rome on Ocean Princess. It's a smaller ship and visits Sorrento, Barcelona, Nice, Portofino, and Livorno.

We are going in September 2010 and I'm not sure if they are continuing this route next year or not.

Sorry... I have been away from my computer for a couple of days.

Thanks so much for the replies. I have been talking over a few with my mom. This one will be a mother/daughter trip and I am trying to find a decent itinerary added to something leaving or returning to Rome.

My mom has little tolerance for heat, so I am thinking May or September. Last May we sailed it was actually SUPER hot in Rome, but... they did say it wasn't all that normal for it to be 97 the middle of May.

I did look into RCCL... The Mariner has the 7 day cruise which doesn't look too bad. But... I was really hoping to find something at least 10 days. I am SO disappointed that Solstice has moved up to Barcelona. So far it appears that HAL's Noordam has the best itinerary for the price and departure port.

Thanks again for all your replies and sorry it has taken me a few days to get back here.

My mom has little tolerance for heat, so I am thinking May or September.

In that case I'd wait until October, because in my experience, September is still pretty darn hot in Italy. Even in October one year I had a couple of weeks of days in the 80's.

I did a quick look, and it does seem like HAL is the only choice going from Rome around Italy or the Western Med. (We took RCCL and covered Italy and Croatia a couple of years ago.) Hope you can find something you and your mother will like.

- Florence and Pisa: discover the beauty of the Tuscany coast and these great cities of art.

- Spanish treasures of Barcelona.

- The Medina of Tunis and the city’s historic heart.

- Pompeii: offers valuable insights into its glorious past.

Mon 27/09 Civitavecchia

Tue 28/09 Livorno (Italy)

Wed 29/09 Monaco (Principaloty of Monaco) Thu 30/09 At sea

Fri 01/10 Barcelona (Spain)

Sat 02/10 Palma de Majorca (Spain)

Sun 03/10 At sea

Mon 04/10 Tunis (Tunisia)

Tue 05/10 Palermo (Italy)

Wed 06/10 Naples (Italy)

Thu 07/10 Civitavecchia/ Rome (Italy)

Compagnie du Ponant September 27-October 7

Yes, I think that HAL cruise looks to be the best itinerary. I have been to most of the stops more than once... but they are all great. I do not want to go back to the Greek Isles or Turkey so??

I actually cruised the mid part of September several times and found it quite nice... my husband and I were married on the Brilliance of the Seas in Barcelona. VERY good memories :)

Thanks again!

Yes, I think that HAL cruise looks to be the best itinerary. I have been to most of the stops more than once... but they are all great. I do not want to go back to the Greek Isles or Turkey so??

I actually cruised the mid part of September several times and found it quite nice... my husband and I were married on the Brilliance of the Seas in Barcelona. VERY good memories :)

Thanks again!

That must have been an incredible cruise and wedding!!

Archived