Train from Seward to Anch - security?

jennywbbaseball

We are taking the train from Seward to Anchorage, and I'm so excited about that after reading the great posts here about how beautiful it is. My question is this... is there security for the train similar to security at the airport? Can liquids be brought aboard?

If I'm getting this right, our luggage is set out the night before and we won't see it again until we get to the airport, which means we travel on the train with our toiletries (we are bag checkers, so we don't have to follow the on board liquid rules for prescription face wash, hair products, etc). Is there a problem with having this on the train?

So when we get to the airport and claim our luggage can I tuck my makeup kit in my luggage to be checked?

Does anyone have tips for the train trip?

Our flight leaves around 7:00pm and the train leaves at 6:30ish am, right??? Does anyone have tips for what to do with luggage so we can explore Anchorage a little before our flight? Will we be able to check in with Delta early?

Thanks for any help!!!

We are taking the train from Seward to Anchorage, and I'm so excited about that after reading the great posts here about how beautiful it is. My question is this... is there security for the train similar to security at the airport? We just "got on" a couple of years ago; there was no security. Can liquids be brought aboard? Yes.

If I'm getting this right, our luggage is set out the night before and we won't see it again until we get to the airport, which means we travel on the train with our toiletries (we are bag checkers, so we don't have to follow the on board liquid rules for prescription face wash, hair products, etc). Is there a problem with having this on the train? There was no problem on the train but I'd check how/what they do with the luggage. Perhaps they have the check-on tags and you will not see your luggage, but it will just proceed to the airline...................?

So when we get to the airport and claim our luggage can I tuck my makeup kit in my luggage to be checked?

Does anyone have tips for the train trip? Yes; check where the engine is and sit so you're headed forward if backward riding is a problem for you.

Our flight leaves around 7:00pm and the train leaves at 6:30ish am, right??? Does anyone have tips for what to do with luggage so we can explore Anchorage a little before our flight? Will we be able to check in with Delta early?

Thanks for any help!!!

This is a very beautiful ride. I like to be on the left side, headed north, just in case there are (gosh, the name just ran out of my brain) white whales in the water as you approach Anchorage...........oh, it's BELUGA:)

whales...................but, the scenery is lovely all the way on both sides.

There are several options for luggage. One is you will claim it at the airport when the train drops you off. With the other option you do not see your luggage until you arrive at your home airport. There is a fee for this, but many feel it is worth it. It also includes your boarding passes for your flight home.

If you choose the first option I mentioned, you will need to check with your airlines and/or Anchorage airport as to how soon you can drop off your luggage for a 7:00 p.m. flight. I know when I looked into it in 2008 it was 6 hours prior. However, things change, so double check this.

In 2008 the Anchorage airport did have some lockers, but I am not sure how big of a suitcase they will hold. My sisters chose the second option I mentioned, however, they still had a small carryon with them. They used the lockers at the airport to hold their small carry on luggage. Again, double check as things change.

They traveled with HAL and if you did not dally, HAL had a bus that dropped you off downtown. They missed it, so they took a cab. However, when they were done with their touring downtown, they noticed a HAL bus parked on a street. They went over and sure enough the driver drove them back to the airport.

I think that you are taking the ship's transfer, and not booking independently?

We enjoyed that very much, and DID have the good fortune to see a large pod of Beluga whales in Turnagain Arm. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/volendam.html. (If you do see whales or any other exciting stuff it does not really matter where you are seated as everybody is going to jump up and crowd the windows anyhow. Remember to be courteous to those behind you and share!)

There was no security check for the train. You will have no problem with liquids.

When we arrived in Anchorage we were given the choice of airport drop off, or going to a dayroom in an downtown hotel. We have done the dayroom before, and AIRC they have a baggage check, seats, restrooms and cold water available. We took advantage of a few hours to wander around Anchorage and found a great Alaskan chowder place for lunch. You should probably double check this with the excursion staff on board.

Thanks for all the tips! But keep 'em coming if someone else has some advice.

Merced Mike - great info - thanks! And I agree with your comment on the dressing for dinner post........ it's always better to overdress! My poor DH wears a tie every day, so I'll give him a break on this cruise and not expect him to bring along his tux. BUT... all men look a little like James Bond in a tux!

Y'all are helping this beach loving gal get excited about Alaska. Thanks!

Archived