Question about cropping in Picassa . . .

I just ran into a situation where I am trying to crop a photo using Picassa and the cropping doesn't seem to "stick". I had resized it using Fastone Resizer and saved the smaller (1Mb instead of 11 Mb) photo in a seperate directory. Then I opened the smaller photo in Picassa and cropped it.

When I emailed the modified photo to a friend, I checked the photo that was attached (by opening the attachment on the email after sending it - and yes, I made sure that I sent the reduced/modified photo from the correct directory) and it was smaller but NOT CROPPED. I have had this sort of thing happen before and I am getting frustrated.

As an additional question, is it possible to have Picassa "save" the modified photo as a different name thereby retaining the original photo and its properties? (The answer is probably in the Help file for Picassa ... but I'm a guy - I'll read it later, after I've figured it out :rolleyes: )

Thanks for any suggestions or comments!

I just ran into a situation where I am trying to crop a photo using Picassa and the cropping doesn't seem to "stick". I had resized it using Fastone Resizer and saved the smaller (1Mb instead of 11 Mb) photo in a seperate directory. Then I opened the smaller photo in Picassa and cropped it.

When I emailed the modified photo to a friend, I checked the photo that was attached (by opening the attachment on the email after sending it - and yes, I made sure that I sent the reduced/modified photo from the correct directory) and it was smaller but NOT CROPPED. I have had this sort of thing happen before and I am getting frustrated.

Did you save the cropped file?

As an additional question, is it possible to have Picassa "save" the modified photo as a different name thereby retaining the original photo and its properties? (The answer is probably in the Help file for Picassa ... but I'm a guy - I'll read it later, after I've figured it out :rolleyes: )

Are you one of my sons? :) To save the file with the same name - right click and choose save - thus overwriting the original (I think the "real" original is saved in a separate file).

To save with a new name you have to go to FILE in the main menu at the top and then give it a new name. Once you do that then click on "undo crop" to get back to the original so you're looking at that one next time you open the program. The new cropped one will show up as another pic in the library.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments!

Hope this helps.

Crop and then export (check "use original size"). After you send or post the exported copy, you can delete it as you wish.

BTW "Save changes" overwrites the original but not until it saves a copy in a normally hidden subfolder named Picasa originals. If you undo a saved file, it replaces the overwritten file with the original.

Dave

Just an add-on from my own Picasa usage. I never save changes. Mostly because saving changes doubles your storage requirement for an image (saved image plus original). When I crop and touch-up in Picasa to print or post. I select all of the target images and export them at the appropriate size to a folder (or set of folders), post them and then delete the folder(s). If I make significant changes to a particular image in PS Elements, I will save the image as a new file with an "a", "-1" or something added to the end of the file name.

Dave

Did you email the photo from within Picasa? If you edit the photo and then go to your email program to email the picture, the edits will not show. The edits can be seen in Picasa but if you look at the file using Windows Explorer or another photo viewer the edits will not show. You must export the file or save the changes in order to see the edits outside of Picasa.

Archived