Capt Larry's Orca Express (smaller boat)

goin2alaska

I called Capt Larry's and they are all booked on the Awesome Orca. We're booked on his smaller boat the Orca Express which is 32' and holds 14. She assured me that although it's not Capt Larry at the helm that he trained the Capt of this vessel and it is still a very good excursion. Has anyone been on the smaller boat? Just curious!

My coworker did this 2 years ago. It was her first trip to Alaska and she had a great time. Of course she didn't have anything to compare it to but she said she would book it again.

I have seen Orca Express and I would do it - anything to avoid the large 100-200 passenger boats the cruise lines use.

When we went last summer, the capt. of the smaller boat was in constant communication with Capt. Larry - the boat we were on - and they pretty much followed the same route. The boats themselves seemed quite similar, and both boats had a "naturalist" on them. Capt. Larry actually spoke to us very little - it was the naturalist who explained things and answered most of our questions, so I don't think you would miss much that way. And, pretty much all the boats would end up in the same place if any whales were spotted, so again it shouldn't make much difference to your experience.

Capt. Larry actually spoke to us very little - it was the naturalist who explained things and answered most of our questions, so I don't think you would miss much that way.

I have found Capt Larry pretty quiet also. If you ask him questions - he will do a very good job explaining things but he is quiet otherwise.

Archived