Double Murder... anyone else hear about this?

TEXAZJEWL

Such a tragedy, my heart goes out to the family. It's getting crazy everywhere, unfortunately. We even have gun incidents in Bermuda now :(

I'm supposed to be in St. Thomas next month - taking a tour with Godfrey. Should I reconsider? His tour, by the look of things, does go by the area where the young lady was killed....

Richmond, VA, which was at one time had the highest murder rate in the country, only had 39 murders in ALL of 2009 if that gives you any idea. City population is around 202,000 (not the metro area but the city itself.)

Miami had 77 murders all year in 2006 for 331,000 people (couldn't find more recent data)

41 in 6 months for 51,000 people is a whopping number. None of us would think twice about visiting Miami or Richmond but there are certainly areas in both places we wouldn't go.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/jul/05/homi05-ar-264365/

I was gonna write out the same thing. I am from Richmond and it was once called"the murder capital". 41 murders in 6 months for 51,000 people is unbelievable and it's only July :( I feel so bad for the girls family:(

There is a thread about this on cruise critic and also on the carnival board

it was Carnival Victory, was a "safari" bus/open air..."independent" tour...

the shooting was NOT at Coki but on the way to Coki, at a cemetary

caught in gang crossfire

on the way to Coki

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3985

Sad letter from the Captain confirming this posted also

Carnival has suspended tours to Coki (not sure what that will do since probably could happen anywhere)

This is a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the families. To those that say that it can happen anywhere, sadly that is true. However, to me this is a big deal. This was gang violence in the middle of a touristy area in the middle of the day. When a similar incident happened in a nearby city to me when a mother was shopping with her teenage daughter on boxing day several years ago and the girl was fatally wounded during a gang fight on a busy street, believe me, it was a big deal. Gang violence in the middle of the day in a highly populated area, you better hope that this is a big deal to the people of St. Thomas and the authorities and that they are not just saying things like... this stuff happens everywhere.

Very disconcerting! We are due there next Tuesday on the Oasis, and we have 2 daughters - 14 and 10. Our first trip there. We are scheduled on an excursion through Royal Caribbean to Magens Bay - for now....

Wow, what a tragedy. My heart goes out to the family. I can't even imagine.

I had considered Coki when I was researching the beaches for the best snorkeling place to go. I read a lot about the shady characters hanging around the island. Even though I've been on some shady islands (especially in Jamaica), I was still going to go there. I'm glad I eventually changed my mind to Sapphire instead. However, as everyone stated, it can happen anywhere...and it sound like especially on that island. :(

Our daughter got married on St Thomas and we had 2 wedding guests murdered the night before the ceremony. It's not smart to go outside of the tourist areas at night.

It was so sad. Young men in their 20s.

Oh my. I'm so sorry. :(

Wow. Some of the posts on the above link are pretty disconcerting. After reading the one about some suspects charged with murder being on "house arrest" I went to the Virgin Islands Police Department website which seems to confirm this is true. Not the suspects in this shooting. But nonetheless I find that alarming to have accused murderers on house arrest.

http://www.vipd.gov.vi/crime/houseArrests.aspx

I can't believe they put murderers on house arrest. Seriously! :mad: All of them seem to be on 24 hour house arrest EXCEPT 1!! He was only on house arrest from 6pm to 6am. Seriously???? No wonder they continue to have a high crime rate. Do they not have a jail there or what???

We cruised the southern Caribbean islands (Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Marteen) on our honeymoon 10 yrs ago...never thought these islands were so unsafe. I remember walking from downtown St. Thomas back to the pier on foot and never thought that it was unsafe to do so.

I'm researching for another cruise, was considering the Caribbean again, but I'm having second thoughts knowing what I know now.

We cruised the southern Caribbean islands (Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Marteen) on our honeymoon 10 yrs ago...never thought these islands were so unsafe. I remember walking from downtown St. Thomas back to the pier on foot and never thought that it was unsafe to do so.

I'm researching for another cruise, was considering the Caribbean again, but I'm having second thoughts knowing what I know now.

As others have stated in several threads, this crime happens everywhere around the world. Don't let it stop you from spending your vacation there and visiting those lovely islands. Just be more aware of your surroundings and the people there, along with the bad areas, and always go with groups or around others.

I'm still going to do the western cruise, probably next year. I'm not going to let it stop me from having fun. I will just be more cautious. This stuff can happen anywhere...even walking out your front door. The upscale nice neighborhoods in the rich areas have problems as well.

This was unfortunate and she was innocent. It just shows, there's nothing that could have prevented this...even with groups in broad daylight.

We were in St Thomas aboard the Victory just last week (07/05/2010). We took the same type of vehicle to Magens Bay Beach.

It appeared that the island had a bit rougher "vibe" than when we were there a couple of years ago.

So sad for this young lady's family. My prayers go out to them

As others have stated in several threads, this crime happens everywhere around the world. Don't let it stop you from spending your vacation there and visiting those lovely islands. Just be more aware of your surroundings and the people there, along with the bad areas, and always go with groups or around others.

I'm still going to do the western cruise, probably next year. I'm not going to let it stop me from having fun. I will just be more cautious. This stuff can happen anywhere...even walking out your front door. The upscale nice neighborhoods in the rich areas have problems as well.

This was unfortunate and she was innocent. It just shows, there's nothing that could have prevented this...even with groups in broad daylight.

It is too late for this family but there are many more families that will be visiting St. Thomas in the upcoming months and there are things that can prevent a repeat of a tragedy such as this. For starters putting people in jail instead of on house arrest. Criminals need to know that if they commit a crime they will be actively pursued, caught and prosecuted for their crimes. Starting when children are small they need proper mentors and youth programs and education to help them stay on the right track. Governments need to take action and hire police even if they need to get them from different Islands to help ensure that they are working for the right side of the law. Doing nothing, or at least not enough for the last 30 years is why this tragedy occured. Something could have and should have been done and now maybe it will be done. Let's hope.

It is too late for this family but there are many more families that will be visiting St. Thomas in the upcoming months and there are things that can prevent a repeat of a tragedy such as this. For starters putting people in jail instead of on house arrest. Criminals need to know that if they commit a crime they will be actively pursued, caught and prosecuted for their crimes. Starting when children are small they need proper mentors and youth programs and education to help them stay on the right track. Governments need to take action and hire police even if they need to get them from different Islands to help ensure that they are working for the right side of the law. Doing nothing, or at least not enough for the last 30 years is why this tragedy occured. Something could have and should have been done and now maybe it will be done. Let's hope.

Agreed 100%

This is so sad to hear...we have been to St Thomas numerous times over the last 10 years. We have never felt scared or threatened anywhere we went, with that said we always go to the same jeweler while there and he warned us that if we ever came to stay there we would have to be back at out hotel by 6 pm, as the crime gets very bad at night. When here on a cruise I think you just need to be very aware of your surroundings and take cabs to where you want to go. Stay in a group and don't wander away from the main roads. It is beautiful place to visit and I will be there again in September.

Wow. Some of the posts on the above link are pretty disconcerting. After reading the one about some suspects charged with murder being on "house arrest" I went to the Virgin Islands Police Department website which seems to confirm this is true. Not the suspects in this shooting. But nonetheless I find that alarming to have accused murderers on house arrest.

http://www.vipd.gov.vi/crime/houseArrests.aspx

This is perhaps the best proof of the seriousness of the problem on the island. Violent criminals held under house arrest. Are you kidding me? Why are any ships at all stopping at this port? Apparently, the financial gain is far more important than passenger safety.

From what I have read, it sounds like either the police are intimidated on in cahoots with the gangs. For instance, this was a gang funeral-- the deceased was shot in a busy parking lot of a Kmart in the afternoon at the busiest shopping time. Yet there were no police at/near this funeral. Whether they expected or anticipated a retaliation is anyone's guess.... there was one police in a car on patrol in the area.... (which I would expect anyway)...

When here on a cruise I think you just need to be very aware of your surroundings and take cabs to where you want to go. Stay in a group and don't wander away from the main roads.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what this family was doing, in broad daylight.

First of all, my thoughts and prayers to the family for such a tragic event. :( I could not imagine losing any of my kids to that kind of violence. Espically while on a birthday vacation/cruise.

Hmmmm.. We are going to be in St.Thomas in December and its going to be our first time there. We are scheduled to go on a tour with Godfreys. Sure hope everthing is "settled" by then. I am well aware of "being aware of youre surrounding" (hubby and I work in a max prison) but if its still going to be iffy, might rethink going to St.Johns instead if its safer there??!?!?!?!?!

All the articles I have read have not listed what tour the family was with. Anyone know?? :confused:

My family and I have taken 15 cruises, many of the to St. Thomas as it is (was) our favorite port to visit. I really love it there. But I will not go there again until they get crime under control. Several years ago I would not visit New York City because of the crime there, but they got wise and cleaned up the streets. Now I love NYC. St. Thomas must do the same. If I am on a ship that stops there, I WILL NOT GET OFF THE SHIP!! In the mean time, I will make every attemp not to board a ship that stops there!!

This is truly a beautiful island. Someone in power needs to get control of it before it becomes deserted!! This island depends on tourist $$. If the law doesn't get control, it is going to be a sad, sad place.

My family and I have taken 15 cruises, many of the to St. Thomas as it is (was) our favorite port to visit. I really love it there. But I will not go there again until they get crime under control. Several years ago I would not visit New York City because of the crime there, but they got wise and cleaned up the streets. Now I love NYC. St. Thomas must do the same. If I am on a ship that stops there, I WILL NOT GET OFF THE SHIP!! In the mean time, I will make every attemp not to board a ship that stops there!!

This is truly a beautiful island. Someone in power needs to get control of it before it becomes deserted!! This island depends on tourist $$. If the law doesn't get control, it is going to be a sad, sad place.

Can you tell me a Caribbean Island that doesn't have this kind of crime?

I didn't think so. Crime is "everywhere" in this world. Even in your own home town:rolleyes:

Archived