Aloha from the Pride of America

DAGVBSB

Hello all... Currently on the Pride of America in Maui. I know, you are asking what I am doing on line while in Hawaii. Unfortunately, I had to get on to make sure some important business that I completed late on Friday was processed through.... but I don't plan on being on here long!

Just a couple quick notes:

1.) For all those who have complained about the crew, I have yet to find a bad crew member. Most are willing to help and please and EVERYONE (including the security people) have been extremely friendly and outgoing.

I do wonder why several things we asked for have to be questioned why we want it done before it is done. But it does get done. (I asked for the honor bar to be removed from our fridge in the room and I had to answer several questions as to why I wanted it done! Finally said that I had never had a problem with it being done on any other NCL ship...that got it done.)

2.) Cabins are extremely small... the smallest I have ever been on any NCL ship... including the Pride of Aloha (now the Sky). More on that later.

Plenty to do while in port if you don't get off the ship and plenty to do at night although many events overalp. The ship does quiet down pretty quick in the evenings.

3.) Only one issue so far and we are going to see how it is responded to. We were told to call a number for my mothers food allergies and when she did she was asked: "do you really have food allergies or is it that you just don't like the seasonings." (She told the girl on the other end to look up "colitis" and let her know...which I found quite amusing.) We have however, found several waiters who have been great at helping with the issue. My parents do plan to talk to the F&B manager before the week is out about the phone call. (my mom hung up on the lady after she rudely asked that question and didn't tell me for a whole day so that I wouldn't blow up...she is handling it and I will let her...but it will be reported!) I still can't believe that a food service employee would be so cold hearted to even think an older lady would lie about her food allergies. That is probably the worst thing an NCL crew member has ever said.

Well off to lattitidues party......probably won't be back on until we return home on Monday.

What side of the ship is best to have a balcony cabin so that you can see the volcanoe from your balcony when you pass

I had read starboard but I've yet to cruise. But I've also read that it's best to be on deck as you can hear the narration.

Thanks for the update! Hope your issues get resolved...

What side of the ship is best to have a balcony cabin so that you can see the volcanoe from your balcony when you pass

I read in the Hawaii Port Of Call section of cruise critic that the ship does a spin at the Volcano so that all cabins get a good look. I think the starboard side might have a few more minutes of visibility as that is the side of the ship that would be facing the island as you cruise from Hilo to Kona along the south side of the island.

A similar thing is supposed to happen on Kaua'i as well when the ship cruises past the Napali Coast. It cruises up, does a 180 turn and cruises on to Oahu.

Thanks,

Pat

The starboard side for the volcano, but we've found that the volcano is "iffy" at best and only lasts 20 minutes, or so, so we just go up on deck to watch it. For the rest of the week, we feel that the port side has the best views.

I read in the Hawaii Port Of Call section of cruise critic that the ship does a spin at the Volcano so that all cabins get a good look. I think the starboard side might have a few more minutes of visibility as that is the side of the ship that would be facing the island as you cruise from Hilo to Kona along the south side of the island.

A similar thing is supposed to happen on Kaua'i as well when the ship cruises past the Napali Coast. It cruises up, does a 180 turn and cruises on to Oahu.

Thanks,

Pat

The ship very definitely DOES NOT do a spin passing the volcano. IF lava is flowing, depending on rate you can see it well before you get to it and well past it also. The view will be on the starboard (right) side of the ship. Here's how it looked for us on 5/25.

Lava1.jpg.97ae54eb160f25394e85573c57112996.jpg

Just a quick update since I had to double check some business on line today...

As I have always said, problems like the one I reported about my mother and her food should always be reported on here and to the higher ups.

A problem or an issue is not necessarily bad for a cruise line...they happen. It is how a situation is dealt with that is where the true merit of the company resides. The exectutive chef came out to dinner and met with my mother and her meals for the week are taken care of. We have also found some very nice waiters in Cadillac Diner and the cafe who have been great as well.

I still want to know who the lady on the phone was who called my mother a liar about her food allergies...but that is just one horrible employee in an otherwise fine, hard working crew.

Every crew member has been overly friendly and extremely willing to help.

Although I just got a call that a person in our group was questioned as to why he needed the front sea on a NCL Shore excursion tour bus. (he is legally handicapped and must have his leg out in the aisle or suffer blood clots.) They told him that did not qualify him as "handicapped" in their eyes.

I have never been on a ship where they question things like they do on this ship! What are they afraid of !

(oh and it was Prime Rib night in the Aloha Cafe last night.... wait till I tell the story of the fat cows who were RUNNING through the cafe to get to the Prime Rib and then loading up their plates with it!! Those fools were silly but disgusting!)

Talk to you all on Sunday or Monday...or when I recover.

(oh and it was Prime Rib night in the Aloha Cafe last night.... wait till I tell the story of the fat cows who were RUNNING through the cafe to get to the Prime Rib and then loading up their plates with it!! Those fools were silly but disgusting!)

We see this all the time, it's like it was their last meal and how about the folks that are picking from their plate before they even make it back to their table. And then they wonder why the bathroom toilet area is such a tight fit for them.

Archived