WARNING!!! This is a 'sour grapes" post. "Special Rates" Those professions left out.

A Sixth?

I think most people understand the meaning of "sour grapes", an expression which means "acting meanly after a disappointment". Or, to put it another way, "I don't want others to have what I cannot get".

You seem truly upset that there are groups of people who get a small price break in recognition of their status in our society while you cannot obtain the same break as a member of another group. While life isn't always fair, I also think that all of us who are able to cruise at all are very lucky indeed and the disappointments in such relatively small details should not even be an issue.

I warned in the OP that it was a "Sour Grapes" thread and by such sour grapes I simply meant it to mean envious behaviour for something one does not or cannot have. Who the heck wouldn't want to get a discount for a pastime they love?

No need to read more into it than that. Please.:cool:

That was my intended tone, though a few seem to want to politicise it. Certainly I don't appreciate those who have never met me edging towards dishing my character and values. :mad:

Okay in the spirit I intended, what other professions would we like to see get a reward for unselfish career choices that better the world? ... what about offering charity workers and those who donate time to help others like Peace Corps and Doctors without borders a discount now and then?

But you seem to be ignoring the fact that most do not retire as officers and most have to get another job after they retire.Nice try but you cannot hide the facts with your smoke screen

:cj

Jeez Captain... I appear to be about the only ONE citing facts here. The facts are that, naturally, the greatest absolute numbers in military service are in their late teens and 20's. By socio-economic demographics, these are not a big slice of the cruise population either in service or out.

The largest absolute numbers of military (20 somethings) are in the E-3 through E-6 pay ranks (about 75% of enlisted; $20-35K annual) with an equal number of higher pay E-7 through E-9 rates as intro/recruits at E-1 and E-2 making up the balance of enlisted.

Officers and warrant officers together make up about 20% of the total in the services with most of them being O-3 (Captain) or higher.

If you join the service at age 18-21 and stay in for 20-30 years that means - in America - you're expected to be part of the workforce even in your 40-50's (who sounds like the 'crybaby' now? :rolleyes:) but a 50-75% pension is likely better than your neighbors'... That's no 'smokescreen'.

So I'm glad you've got a discount. What's the beef?

I warned in the OP that it was a "Sour Grapes" thread and by such sour grapes I simply meant it to mean envious behaviour for something one does not or cannot have. Who the heck wouldn't want to get a discount for a pastime they love?

That was my intended tone, though a few seem to want to politicise it. Certainly I don't appreciate those who have never met me edging towards dishing my character and values. :mad:

Okay in the spirit I intended, what other professions would we like to see get a reward for unselfish career choices that better the world? ... what about offering charity workers and those who donate time to help others like Peace Corps and Doctors without borders a discount now and then?

You mentioned teachers in your first post, I do not see that as an unselfish career choice and in the need of a discount.

Jeez Captain... I appear to be about the only ONE citing facts here. The facts are that, naturally, the greatest absolute numbers in military service are in their late teens and 20's. By socio-economic demographics, these are not a big slice of the cruise population either in service or out.

The largest absolute numbers of military (20 somethings) are in the E-3 through E-6 pay ranks (about 75% of enlisted; $20-35K annual) with an equal number of higher pay E-7 through E-9 rates as intro/recruits at E-1 and E-2 making up the balance of enlisted.

Officers and warrant officers together make up about 20% of the total in the services with most of them being O-3 (Captain) or higher.

If you join the service at age 18-21 and stay in for 20-30 years that means - in America - you're expected to be part of the workforce even in your 40-50's (who sounds like the 'crybaby' now? :rolleyes:) but a 50-75% pension is likely better than your neighbors'... That's no 'smokescreen'.

So I'm glad you've got a discount. What's the beef?

You seem to be beefing,not me:D,and thanks for finally stating some of the facts.Soon you'll be like me and state all of the facts.Never said a 40 retiree should not work/It was you who embellished the facts by arguing a milatary retiree got a handsome pension where he could live comfortbally in retirement.Thank you for pointing out that your statement was not correct.

I believe that Disney goes offer passes to charity workers.It would be nice if the cruise lines would do the same

Don't be surprised.... There are a whole lot of people who choose dangerous and giving professions....that's all i meant this thread to be about. It's a "sour grapes thread" right? :rolleyes:

In my OP I said clearly "Now I appreciate the guys and girls in the military and fire and police very much and please don't question that, but what about teachers, nurses and care givers. Are they not deserving now and then too?" and i mean it. Don't question my words.

Any other professions that have been left out? I'm surprised that I have to ask you, because I'm sure you know dozens:rolleyes:

I continue to say there will always be those who say, "What about me. Why can't I have a discount too" ? I think that is sad.

We paid a fair price to travel on a premium cruise line and we are happy with that. We don't worry about what others may have gotten that we didn't. If you got a better price than us good for you. If not, better luck next time.

Just a couple comments.

First, the military, police, and firemen discounts aren't meant to be charity for those with limited income. They are simply appreciation of the nature of those jobs and the inherent sacrifice for others.

Second, in answer to the original poster's asking about teachers, nurses or other professions we think should merit a discount. My response is none of the above or any profession other than those already so honored.

Put us in the category of those who book at a price we feel is fair, and who don't raise sour grapes.

One of the worst things that can happen is discussing cruise price with other passengers. Inevitably, some will feel they got a bad deal and the other will gloat.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

..... in answer to the original poster's asking about teachers, nurses or other professions we think should merit a discount. My response is none of the above or any profession other than those already so honored.

Your opinion .....

One of the worst things that can happen is discussing cruise price with other passengers. Inevitably, some will feel they got a bad deal and the other will gloat.

I disagree. Here on the CC we discuss cruise bargains and deals all the time. I like hearing how much a cruise cost someone. Flights/ hotels / cruise / cabin credits / tour charges, interest a lot of us.

When someone got a better deal than I did I learn a bit from their advice and act on it next time. IMHO that's a major part of what this BB is all about isn't it? :confused:

No other profession should get it.

You mention Peace Corps or Doctors Without Borders. Those charities are great and the people doing them are wonderful to do what they do. But what about those who cannot, for one reason or another, leave their home to do good works? What about a person who cooks and delivers food to the sick and infirm? What about those working in soup kitchens? What about those who come to nursing homes to visit the elderly and make them feel less lonely? Those are all noble deeds and deserve a reward too. What about those who contribute money to worthy causes even though they do not have much money but still want to help? What about millions of others who do good deeds on a daily basis? Whose selflessness is more valuable?

Let's leave things as they are and not be envious of others' good fortune. It is not a nice emotion no matter which way you present it.

Your opinion .....

I disagree. Here on the CC we discuss cruise bargains and deals all the time. I like hearing how much a cruise cost someone. Flights/ hotels / cruise / cabin credits / tour charges, interest a lot of us.

When someone got a better deal than I did I learn a bit from their advice and act on it next time. IMHO that's a major part of what this BB is all about isn't it? :confused:

My read of WVUFANs post had to do with speaking of the economics on board, not while on this board. I happen to agree with him.

I don't think many readers and posters here understand the concept of 'sour grapes" which is the title in my OP.

I am taking nothing away from those who are offered discounts, just asking what others could be offered a break too....

Is that so hard to grasp?

BTW I really had no idea that military jobs could pay that well.....

Why open that door? Then why don't architects, engineers, government workers get discounts?? Honestly! The military puts their life on the line for our country. Is that so hard to grasp? No comparison.

Yes, the military has ranks. Depending on your rank which includes years of service, it pays very well. In my son's case, I pay for his cruise as a "Thank You" and in that case, "No", I don't ask for a discount.

most do not retire as officers and most have to get another job after they retire.Nice try but you cannot hide the facts...

And then...

Never said a 40 retiree should not work...

Huh...

The nation's 12,000 colonels and generals are retiring at 30 years with 90-120+k annual pension. The approx 150,000 captians, majors, and bird colonels get $50-70k+ annual pensions at 30yr. Cut those ## 1/3 for 20 year pensions. A military academy grad might start pulling that 30yr $50-70k pension or higher for life at age 38.

Senior enlisted get $40-50K annually after 30 years, $20-25k annually after 20 years.

Military benefits otherwise (health etc.) beat the private sector

Wufan and CaptainJake are both right though. Business gives military discounts because the military live hard and die hard. Service retirees do just fine by the numbers, but the ones that really 'deserve it' don't 'retire' - they don't come back in one piece or at all. Fortunately, they're a small minority. Since we can never make it up to the departed and disabled, extending discounts to service vets generally works fine alternatively. Nobody should have a problem with that; I don't.

To be accurate, the occupations cited are not true professions, they are only quasi-professions. I am happy for any of those in those occupations who receive discounts; and, I do not envy them for receiving same. On the other hand, I do not denigrate the cruise line for not offering said discounts. To involve oneself in the latter endeavor demonstrates the epitome of sour grapes.

Jack Diamond - Your post made me LOL because it appears that you took Economics around the same time I did. When I took Economics, during the middle sixties, there were only five occupations that were considered to be professions (Physician, Attorney, Dentist, CPA, College Professor). Everyone else in the work force had a trade, a quasi profession (aka semi or para professional), a blue collar job, a pink collar job, a white collar job, or was a business executive. However, the term professional has a very different meaning today than it did then and it includes a lot more occupations, and these other terms also have different meanings now than they did then.

Jack Diamond - Your post made me LOL because it appears that you took Economics around the same time I did. When I took Economics, during the middle sixties, there were only five occupations that were considered to be professions (Physician, Attorney, Dentist, CPA, College Professor). Everyone else in the work force had a trade, a quasi profession (aka semi or para professional), a blue collar job, a pink collar job, a white collar job, or was a business executive. However, the term professional has a very different meaning today than it did then and it includes a lot more occupations, and these other terms also have different meanings now than they did then.
Yep, for example let's remember to pity those poor, hard-working professional football players who need to work today on Labor Day and are not offered any of the occupational cruise discounts.icon12.gif

Archived