WARNING!!! This is a 'sour grapes" post. "Special Rates" Those professions left out.

A Sixth?

I am ducking already because I can hear the thunder on the horizon :o but here I go.

Every cruise line out there has "special rates" for Military, police and fire. For example, an online TA has pricing on the Solstice Aug 15th sailing, there's discounts for military and fire and police. The difference between those "special" rates and the ones the rest of us pay is $ 849.00 instead of $ 1,199.00 for a standard balcony. :eek: $350.00 less!

Now I appreciate the guys and girls in the military and fire and police very much and please don't question that, but what about teachers, nurses and care givers. Are they not deserving now and then too?

I did warn everyone that this is a "Sour Grapes" thread... but why are some of the professions always left out of 'special rates"?

I am ducking already because I can hear the thunder on the horizon :o but here I go.

Every cruise line out there has "special rates" for Military, police and fire. For example, an online TA has pricing on the Solstice Aug 15th sailing, there's discounts for military and fire and police. The difference between those "special" rates and the ones the rest of us pay is $ 849.00 instead of $ 1,199.00 for a standard balcony. :eek: $350.00 less!

Now I appreciate the guys and girls in the military and fire and police very much and please don't question that, but what about teachers, nurses and care givers. Are they not deserving now and then too?

I did warn everyone that this is a "Sour Grapes" thread... but why are some of the professions always left out of 'special rates"?

I can only think of two reasons. The cruise industry doesn't think anyone else is special, or not enough people in those professions that are offered the extra special discounts cruise, so the cruise industry is just trying to drum up business.

Either way, when you're the one not getting special attention, it seems like a slap in the face. That's why, if I am not treated as well as anybody else, then I will choose to take my business somewhere else. There are a lot of choices out there competing for my travel and vacation dollars, and I'm not afraid to take advantage of the good deals somewhere else, if the cruise industry doesn't value me enough.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Well, one theory is that military, fire and police put their lives on the line every day. Of course, teachers, nurses and care givers are critical to our society, they do not risk life every day.

So much risk and hardship for individuals and families and unfortunately so

little pay. Maybe they need/deserve a break :confused: Sometimes things are all

about someone else and not all about us/me. Think I'll focus on being happy for them. No flames here, just a way to look at it perhaps with less

me involved.

What about medical technologists and x-ray techs? :confused:

Not an actual question, just wondering why nurses are always elevated above all other health care personnel. ;)

Personally I have no problem seeing the military, police and fire get special rates.

I think that putting your life on the line deserves special privileges.

Well, one theory is that military, fire and police put their lives on the line every day. Of course, teachers, nurses and care givers are critical to our society, they do not risk life every day.

Well said. :)

"teachers, nurses and care givers" might only be considered traditional professionals if they have achieved PHD status.

speaking as a nurse I have to say that when I go to work, barring something really bizarre happening, my family does not have to worry that I might get killed on the job. While accidents happen all the time, I think other than the police ,fire, and military, most of us are not putting our lives on the line for others on a daily basis. I think the stress for both those actually doing the jobs and those waiting for them to come home has earned them special consideration. I for one am glad that these groups are given discounts. I feel nothing but gratitude to these people and marvel that they are able to do what they do everyday and stay sane!

Rather than flaming you, I'll take the risk with you and state that this is a legitimate question for discussion.

I had always assumed that military, fire, and police were given a break because they are the best prepared to help out in an emergency, and it's not a bad idea to have a higher proportion of those folks there, should the need arise. But this would only make sense if it were a fixed discount. At what point does Celebrity decide that there's likely to be a riot in the MDR over the dress code on a particular cruise?:rolleyes::D:eek: If they anticipate trouble in a foreign port, their anaylists would be better utilized by the CIA, if they can determine several months out that there's likely to be political unrest erupting the very day the ship is in port. So, no, the professional discounts are 1) a genuine courtesy offered, albeit occasionally, to those who qualify, and 2) a nice public relations gesture-- every time I check for a price drop and go to check residency, I note the mil/fire/police box and think, even for a second, about how generous it is for X to acknowledge these folks in the first place.

I suppose it's a question about where to draw the line. Teachers are deserving of special recognition. Doctors are deserving. So are nurses. So are EMTs. So are Red Cross workers. So are clergy. Once you start including these others, anyone else that's close to one of those professions says, "Hey, if they get a break, I deserve one, too."

It may also be a question of the ability to validate. Military, fire and police all need to carry valid ID (military card, badge or ID) at the time of boarding to prove they're legitimately entitled to the lower rate. It may be tougher to do that with other professions. What's a doctor supposed to do? Take his diploma? Maybe these other professions I mentioned do have IDs they carry that help identify them; I don't know.

The reason for lower rates for residents of certain states is that X considers them to be more likely, for whatever reason, to book a particular itinerary and just needs a little more incentive. What, then, is the reason for trying to attract more m/f/p professionals? Something about the demographics of that group (or those groups) that similarly make it more likely they'll come aboard (literally) than others, or is it a more-or-less random thing?

I can only think of two reasons. The cruise industry doesn't think anyone else is special, or not enough people in those professions that are offered the extra special discounts cruise, so the cruise industry is just trying to drum up business.

Either way, when you're the one not getting special attention, it seems like a slap in the face. That's why, if I am not treated as well as anybody else, then I will choose to take my business somewhere else. There are a lot of choices out there competing for my travel and vacation dollars, and I'm not afraid to take advantage of the good deals somewhere else, if the cruise industry doesn't value me enough.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Hard to take your business elsewhere when all the major lines do it.

FWIW to the lives on the line and low pay.... there are lots of jobs that are very dangerous with low pay.

Farming is a good example. Logging and fishing others. Death and injury rates amongst those professions are the highest of them all.

Like I said, this is a "sour grapes" post.... just wish "Medical" and education were included (not just teachers and nurses.... better? :o)

What about medical technologists and x-ray techs? :confused:

Not an actual question, just wondering why nurses are always elevated above all other health care personnel. ;)

Personally I have no problem seeing the military, police and fire get special rates.

I think that putting your life on the line deserves special privileges.

I think the difference is medical technologist and x-ray techs work in a secure environment; first responders do not.

It is a thank you and respect thing. The senior discount is the same type of thing. At some point, if we live long enough;), we will all get the senior discount!

As someone who has benefited multiple times from the aforementioned discounts, I'd like to chime in. As far as I can recall, no one I ever served with felt "entitled" to any type of special thanks or extra benefits beyond what we signed up for, but they were (and still are) always appreciated.

My job on the submarine required me to spend a lot more time on board preparing to deploy (and time on board after deployment) than many of my crewmates, but we had a saying for that which equally applies here: "You chose your rate".

(A Navy "Rate" refers to a specific job skill classification)

As the wife of a former Air Force pilot, I can tell you that we moved to 13 locations in his 21 years. Aside from the obvious strain that puts on families and children, it makes it nearly impossible for wives who work to find jobs on a consistent basis. It seemed that every time we turned around I was job hunting again. In addition, we didn't get the financial rewards of long-term home ownership because we were on the move so much.

So, aside from the danger aspect there are financial hardships for military families that are not readily apparent to others. It is nice to have that recognized by companies occasionally. I think it is much harder for military families right now with these endless overseas assignments. So, so tough.

Having said that, I understand why it would be irritating to not receive a discount open to others. I was a teacher and though I obviously feel teachers are really important to our communities, I think our military, firefighters and police deserve the breaks, not teachers...as others have said, putting your life out there draws a different line in the sand, IMHO.

Rather than flaming you, I'll take the risk with you and state that this is a legitimate question for discussion.

I had always assumed that military, fire, and police were given a break because they are the best prepared to help out in an emergency, and it's not a bad idea to have a higher proportion of those folks there, should the need arise. But this would only make sense if it were a fixed discount. At what point does Celebrity decide that there's likely to be a riot in the MDR over the dress code on a particular cruise?:rolleyes::D:eek: If they anticipate trouble in a foreign port, their anaylists would be better utilized by the CIA, if they can determine several months out that there's likely to be political unrest erupting the very day the ship is in port. So, no, the professional discounts are 1) a genuine courtesy offered, albeit occasionally, to those who qualify, and 2) a nice public relations gesture-- every time I check for a price drop and go to check residency, I note the mil/fire/police box and think, even for a second, about how generous it is for X to acknowledge these folks in the first place.

I suppose it's a question about where to draw the line. Teachers are deserving of special recognition. Doctors are deserving. So are nurses. So are EMTs. So are Red Cross workers. So are clergy. Once you start including these others, anyone else that's close to one of those professions says, "Hey, if they get a break, I deserve one, too."

It may also be a question of the ability to validate. Military, fire and police all need to carry valid ID (military card, badge or ID) at the time of boarding to prove they're legitimately entitled to the lower rate. It may be tougher to do that with other professions. What's a doctor supposed to do? Take his diploma? Maybe these other professions I mentioned do have IDs they carry that help identify them; I don't know.

The reason for lower rates for residents of certain states is that X considers them to be more likely, for whatever reason, to book a particular itinerary and just needs a little more incentive. What, then, is the reason for trying to attract more m/f/p professionals? Something about the demographics of that group (or those groups) that similarly make it more likely they'll come aboard (literally) than others, or is it a more-or-less random thing?

Good post.

Talking point:

Okay, using the police and fire guys/gals may come in handy if something 'cut-loose" wouldn't medical professionals be top of the list too?

Maybe a few educators could help teach self absorbed chair hoggs into better behaviour patterns benefiting all. :p

It is a thank you and respect thing. The senior discount is the same type of thing. At some point, if we live long enough;), we will all get the senior discount!

I don't think that's the purpose of the senior discount... I feel it's a recognition that most people on a fixed income simply can't spend as much money as people currently working, and usually have additional worries such as health expenses and having to stretch out their savings over an unpredictable length of time. So while it is respectful and considerate to acknowledge this, it's good business practice to set aside different prices for them when they wouldn't be able to book at normal prices. (I think it's fair and sound practice, and I am far from retirement.)

Similarly, many people feel that the reward programs are a "thank you" from the cruise line, but for them, it's all about keeping their customer base from eroding and getting bodies on the ships when those who have cruised many times with that line might otherwise develop a curiosity about new lines.

As the wife of a former Air Force pilot, I can tell you that we moved to 13 locations in his 21 years. Aside from the obvious strain that puts on families and children, it makes it nearly impossible for wives who work to find jobs on a consistent basis. It seemed that every time we turned around I was job hunting again. In addition, we didn't get the financial rewards of long-term home ownership because we were on the move so much.

Yes, I think this is a good reason, for business reasons alone, to give a break to military families. Interestingly, though, I don't think firemen and policemen face the same financial hardship because of their jobs, at least not in some places. (Of course they still put their lives on the line with their jobs, lest it sound like I'm making a "sour grapes" post.)

Party:

You give excellent reasons for the discounts and I would add one more. Before I do that as a matter of disclosure, I am a retired Police Officer however do not receive the discounts because I am retired. The fact that retired personnel are not covered may give a little more basis to your comment about in case something happened.

The issue of discounts really started publicly after 9/11. There was a greater appreciation in many ways for Police, Fire and Military after 9/11. I remember going to Vegas about 10 months after and getting a Police Discount at MGM even though I told them I was retired...Actually got a double discount because the wife is a retired Police Officer also.

I can't tell you how many have thanked my wife and I for our service since 9/11, that never happened before, they just complained about when they got a ticket....

I don't think that's the purpose of the senior discount... I feel it's a recognition that most people on a fixed income simply can't spend as much money as people currently working, and usually have additional worries such as health expenses and having to stretch out their savings over an unpredictable length of time. So while it is respectful and considerate to acknowledge this, it's good business practice to set aside different prices for them when they wouldn't be able to book at normal prices. (I think it's fair and sound practice, and I am far from retirement.)

Similarly, many people feel that the reward programs are a "thank you" from the cruise line, but for them, it's all about keeping their customer base from eroding and getting bodies on the ships when those who have cruised many times with that line might otherwise develop a curiosity about new lines.

:eek::eek: What's going on then? Is this the beginning of a socialist paradise? :p

FWIW to the lives on the line and low pay.... there are lots of jobs that are very dangerous with low pay.

Farming is a good example. Logging and fishing others. Death and injury rates amongst those professions are the highest of them all.

While other occupations my involve risk, it's the police, fire, and military who regularly put their lives on the lines to protect and serve others.

I don't live in the States anymore, but whenever I'm in the company of a serviceman or woman either here or when visiting the US, I make sure to thank them for their service. I especially go out of my way to do so whenever I see a uniformed passenger on a cruise. I think it's great that the cruise lines recognize their- and their families'- service with a discount.

BTW, I taught for many years in inner city schools in the US, and it would never occur to me that I should have been included in the service people's discount!

My guess is that cruise lines have carefully studied the demographics and have targeted groups that they believe will most likely purchase their product. Ever notice how many teachers seem to cruise? As a group they have both the time and means to travel and have long been a primary target of the travel industry. "Seniors" appear to fall into the same category. Goodwill could also be a contributory factor, thus military, fire and police discounts. I believe that the decision to offer discounts to some is purely business, has little to do with how we "value" certain vocations.

TO the OP -- do you get bent out of shape when currently serving men and women in uniform get bumped up to first class on airplanes, and get to go to the frequent flyers lounges for free, too? Many hotel chains offer military discounts at some or all of their properties, does that bother you, too? Just wondering....

TO the OP -- do you get bent out of shape when currently serving men and women in uniform get bumped up to first class on airplanes, and get to go to the frequent flyers lounges for free, too? Many hotel chains offer military discounts at some or all of their properties, does that bother you, too? Just wondering....

Not at all, please re-read my opening Post. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

But this thread is meant as a CC "Sour-Graper". Why not other groups of people contributing to the community good?

Archived