Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

And for the women she uses the heel lead going backwards a lot. You lead with your heel, toes slightly off the ground and then your toes brush the floor, roll onto the ball of your foot to arrive at your toes. This is very effective to feel the floor at all times, helps control both your balance and posture. You definetly should ask 'ol Lance to show you. I spend endless hours on my kitchen floor mastering this idea.

Yes, Jerry did get to do the waltz and it was quite beatuiful. His daughter was in the audience to watch. The last show I would watch would be Jerrys show but I have to say I have enjoyed watching him on DWTS a lot. I gave him a lot of credit, still it was time for him to go.

Thanks Mummsie and Smooth, I knew you would know. Judge Len Goodman was whipping up on the "Stars" about that. Jerry did ok, about like George Hamilton. At least it wasn't "Fighting With The Stars" that his show was known for.

We'll query Ole Lance about the heel lead. We've gotten a lot of steps, but little to no technical instruction. He certainly knows it, he just doesn't teach it unless you ask. Consider he is teaching Ballroom basic in a refinery town, and a few good couples who've been with him for years, but only dance socially. At some point, probably when he is gone, we'll get a teacher who will work on the more technical aspects.

These days, we are putting in about two hours a night with him on Tuesdays.

Well another week closer to our cruise on the Pacific Princess. I have a couple of photos taken at the last comp we were at. One of Gary and myself and one of my son Kieran and partner Laura.

http://www.trish-fielding-dancingimages.com/id121.html

http://www.trish-fielding-dancingimages.com/id116.html

Sorry I couldn't work out how to send one image so you have the whole lot. Kieran and Laura are in the middle - Laura has the multicoloured pink dress and Gary and I are top row in the middle between the 2 latin couples :D Mummsie

Well another week closer to our cruise on the Pacific Princess. I have a couple of photos taken at the last comp we were at. One of Gary and myself and one of my son Kieran and partner Laura.

http://www.trish-fielding-dancingimages.com/id121.html

http://www.trish-fielding-dancingimages.com/id116.html

Sorry I couldn't work out how to send one image so you have the whole lot. Kieran and Laura are in the middle - Laura has the multicoloured pink dress and Gary and I are top row in the middle between the 2 latin couples :D Mummsie

Loved the pictures Mummsie, you really have a ballroom world down-under!

What a really great thing that your children enjoy it as well. There's no chance of that happening here. It's funny, we've got a lot of formal wear, but have never done white tie. On the opposite end of the scale, we'll attend a 1940s Hanger Dance this weekend.

Ole Lance sweated us out in Samba last night, seeing people in that much pain seems to give him a lot of evil pleasure!

Hi GCurry, Yes I am very lucky both my kids are interested. Kieran's partner put their waltz routine up on youtube yesterday if you are interested in looking. The address is

I will ask her to put some of their new vogue up so you can get an idea what it looks like :D Mummsie

Mummsie: Thanks for posting those beautiful photos!! they are very impressive and you look great!!!

I missed DWTS again last night... I was in line for several hours to get the flu shot... I saw the end... I'm thinking the judges figure they have the "serious" contenders left and are leaving the final up to the TV Audience... most of the audience does not apprecriate ballroom technique anyway... it is really getting to me... why can't they play a latin tune for the latin dances...???? :confused:

I am really hoping maybe the sports networks may pick up some real competitions some time for their programming... that would really promote ballroom dancing.

I missed DWTS again last night... I was in line for several hours to get the flu shot... I saw the end... I'm thinking the judges figure they have the "serious" contenders left and are leaving the final up to the TV Audience... most of the audience does not apprecriate ballroom technique anyway... it is really getting to me... why can't they play a latin tune for the latin dances...????

Regrettably, it's about entertainment, or how to make dancing entertaining to millions of people who haven't a clue. "Stars" are part of that formula like it or not, and certainly the choreography extends to the results as well as the dances. Another unfortunate feature is trying to get the audience to relate to the music, so we get some soft rock number instead of a Latin traditional. I don't like it either.

That was surprising about the flu shot. My wife and I and now her daughter work at the University of Texas Medical Branch, about 13,000 employees, every Oct. we get free flu shots at several locations on campus with little to no wait. In Houston the Texas Medical Center set up drive through flu shots for $15, that worked very well. Sorry for the difficulty you had.

Last night (Sat.) four couples went to a Veteran's Memorial Hanger Dance in a large Helicopter Hanger in Pearland TX, 1940's dress and a small band. It was a swing dance theme and some people promoting "Balboa" dancing. It seemed to be a 1920s double or triple step swing dance. Thank you no, I don't need that much exercise, but it was interesting. Perhaps some of you do that?

Also interesting is how you feel after dancing all evening on a concrete floor.

I am really hoping maybe the sports networks may pick up some real competitions some time for their programming... that would really promote ballroom dancing.

If people watch figure skating, they could watch dancing IMHO.

I am not following all of your conversations here.... Guess this is a discussion over many threads, but I can absolutley talk about concrete floors!!

Often we compete in regional comps in civic centers... We have danced at the Georiga dome, San Jose civic center. ect... They lay a dance floor on top of concrete and by the end of the day we know it.... We are in good shape, but after standing on concrete all day it causes big time damage to my knees... After a day on concrete the next morning my knees buckle and hurt like hell... I limp for a good 4 hours before I am ok again. I use to think it was my age (yikes turned 51 yesterday) but now I think even my 20 yr old counterparts have to feel this pain....

Happy birthday for yesterday Smooth :D Now you are the same age as me for 6 weeks. :D I also hate dancing on cement floors - it kills your knees and also makes your feet hurt.

Well its our last competition of the year this coming Saturday. We have to hand back the big trophy we won last year. I am going to miss seeing it on the shelf next to the TV. :p The Australians in Melbourne are only 3 weeks away. Only my son going this year. We have been using all our holidays going on cruises :D Mummsie

YAHOO!!!! :D I still can't believe it. We won both our graded events on Saturdary evening and the best part we have finally elevated out of level 3 New Vogue. We are up with the big guys now :D What a great feeling. Got lots of video taken of different new vogue dances so as soon as I work out how to put it up on utube you will get to see it danced. Will probably bore you all to tears though.!!! Kieran and Laura didn't place at this comp but there were huge numbers of entries for their events and they got back to finals so I was really pleased. This is the comp everybody attends as its the last one before the Australian Championships in 3 weeks. Mummsie

• 2 weeks later...

Mummsie: Congrats on your latest successes!!! I'm anxious to see your video!!

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving... we went to Maine where we had mild weather .. the conversation centered on all the trips, cruises everyone has taken... but Dave and I are the only ones who enjoy dancing..

We have several holiday parties planned and just booked an overnight New Years celebration with three other couples... we all like to dance so it should be alot of fun.... now.... what to wear!!??!! :D

Thanksgiving was fantastic weather up in Tyler (East TX) the rose capitol, mid 70s. It hit 80 here on Galveston Island yesterday and expected again today. But, all that is going away tomorrow as a Pacific front will move through dropping us into the 50s with lows in the 30s hopefully no freeze.

We are on the countdown, as we cruise out of here on the Grand Princess a week from Saturday. Three cruise friends will stay with us prior to going.

On a dance note, we have a black tie Holiday Ball this Saturday. Also sadly, Ole Lance, dance instructor from Hell, is hospitalized. We don't know the details, but he has missed a couple of weeks. We hope for the best.

Congratulations on your success Mummsie, it sounds like you are over your problems and winning again.

I cant wait to see the video too...

Mummsie, My niece will be coming to your area next semester as part of the student exchange program. She is a high school Sr. I wonder if you would consider accepting an EMail from her to answer any questions she may have??

Hi Smooth. Would love to help your niece. My email is G.Martin@griffith.edu.au

Where is she going to be located?

Still trying to get my son motivated to put the videos up - he has been off work all week sick with the flu and its been really hot here so he hasn't been coping too well.

I am glad you all had a good thanksgiving :-) Mummsie

Thanks so much, Mummsie!!

I sent your EMail over to me niece..... Such a wonderful girl.... She too has the performance bug... Not dancing, but she has a wonderful voice and has taken lessons for years... Alas, she is considering economics as a major...go figure!!

By the way.... My niece, Casey, does not know me as "Smooth"... I suppose I never said, but my name is Janet!!

Sending you hugs for your help

Hey, We did enjoy alot of dancing on the Volendam. There were two good dance bands. One played big band type music including the classic latin numbers. Another played jazzy dance music also including latin numbers. They both played from around 6 to 11:15 each night.

There was a shortage of rock music for the rockers but hey we loved to get to dance.

No dance hosts on a ten day cruise so HAL is cutting back there. Lots of Europeans onboard and they were great dancers.

I'm glad Emmett won DWTS. How did everyone else feel about it? I did not get to see the last night because we were on the ship but I would love to hear what others thought.

Cheers!

Archived