Tips for Speciality Dining?

Jerry and Shelly

We went to the Normandy on the Summit and Ocen Liners on the Connie. We gladly tipped extra as these venues were the best specialty venues on the high seas (imho). Have yet to sail on the S class and have heard lots of exciteing positive comments about them. Hopefully a cruise on an S class is in our crui9sing future.....:):):)

Bob

The S-Class ships are truly amazing and the specialty restaurants are definitely well worth the surcharge. I highly encourage you to "test" them our for yourself. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Summit with family of 8. Dined in Normandie 5 nights. First night was a comp except for a $5.00 gratuity per person which they prepare a check for signature and charge to room. Alway left an additional $100 for wait staff and extra for Matrei'd which is customary in fine dining establishments. The service and food quality are suberb and definately warrant the additional. After the second night, they will prepare items not on menu, anything you desire and even bring out the cheese cart on request. We were offered tableside service ( caesar salad, chateaubriand, crepe suzette's, etc. etc. etc.) In my opinion the $5.00 is just not enough. They were very busy all evenings unlike years past.

...Anyone got a recent Millennium/Olympic menu (not the one on their website) ?...

Here is a link to the Ala Carte menu from our last cruise in March 2010. The photo before that one shows the wine pairing available nightly at a cost, including wine selected for each course, of $89 as opposed to the normal $35 cover charge. The third picture before that was the menu from a special wine Dinner offered one time during the cruise at $115/pp - I think they change the menu for the special wine dinner frequently.

We noticed that the surcharge for the speciality dining includes gratuities. We have booked Muranos for our upcoming cruise on the Solstice. Is it standard practice to leave an additional tip, or is the tip that is included in the surcharge the expected amount?

We usually leave an additional $50 on the bill. It's not unusual to leave a specialty restaurant with a $200--$300 tab.

Sorry Gonzo, I talked to my TAs today and know you are wrong. This is the same for Princess. You can say what you want but it does not make you right. On top of which room service is providing a service and if they weren't covered you can bet that the cruise line would be telling you what was expected. X either does that for everything else or forces the tip if they think it might not be given.

If you would like to produce the/your body of research that bears out your "facts" I'm here to read/listen. However, don't just bring them here; take them to celebrity and let them know that they are doing a disservice to room service and they need to make it absolutely clear that room service is not included in the standard tips.

Uh, anyone with a lick of common sense realizes tips for room service are not included.

So if Tuscan Grille is $30pp the bill will be just that, $30 which includes tip, right? What about Bistro on 5? Will the bill say $5 or will it be $5 plus $15?

Sorry, I'm new to this.:o

Lol the bill will be much higher than 30pp. Drinks, wine etc... usually get you into the $200+ range

Right. The $30 includes a service charge (which some call a tip or gratuity). In other words, the price of the meal is actually about $26, and the other $4 is a service charge (i.e., a "forced tip") -- although this is not mentioned in so many words. You will have a chance to add an actual tip, if you decide that one has been merited (above and beyond the 15% you have already paid).

At Bistro On Five, the fee is $5, including service charge (forced tip).

Now, before anybody comes down on me like a ton of bricks, I will pre-emptively defend myself by saying that I have almost always left a generous genuine tip -- i.e., always when deserved, but not when not deserved. [On Millie, for a meal priced at $60, for example, I left a $30 tip.] I insist, however, that OP ("Jerry and Shelly") should NOT be made to feel guilty about leaving $0.00 extra, because a "forced tip" is already included by X, probably because too many people were forgetting to leave anything at all.

Perhaps you could let us know where you obtained your information that the gratuity portion of the $30.00 [sic] service charge for the specialty restaurant is $4.00. (FYI, the service charge for the specialty restaurants on M-Class ships is now $35.00. I believe this is the same for Murano on Century and the Solstice class ships.)

The following is a reply by Jacques Van Staden on June 5, 2009, as to the disbursement of the service charge in the specialty restaurants:

(edited by me to remove an additional response that does not address the subject of the specialty restaurant surcharge)....

__________________________________________________ ______

post_old.gif June 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM

image.php?u=450019&dateline=1243376236Jacques Van Staden user_offline.gif

Vice President Food & Beverage - Celebrity & Azamara Cruise Lines

__________________________________________________ ______

specialty restaurant surcharge

The majority of the surcharge does go to the staff. It varies slightly by specialty restaurant, but again, the largest percentage goes toward gratuities for our staff, and the rest toward purchasing higher quality ingredients.

Culinary regards,

JVS

** I post this only in the service of accuracy, as I assume Jacques Van Staden would have accurate information on this topic. For ourselves, we always find the service in the specialty restaurants to be beyond excellent, and will tip extra accordingly.

On the Equinox, we ate in Murano and Tuscan Grill.

We did leave additional tip. There was however, two lines, if I remember correctly. I think one for the Service and perhaps one for Wine and Beverage? We would just leave our tip on the Service line, since it really was the waiter that we interacted with the most.

Had so many people in Murano that served us - the waiter, a few assistant waiters, people to take away our salad bowl, a bread person, a bread crumb scraper person, the sommelier, etc. Hard to know who to tip, so we just put it on Service.

Right. The $30 includes a service charge (which some call a tip or gratuity). In other words, the price of the meal is actually about $26, and the other $4 is a service charge (i.e., a "forced tip") -- although this is not mentioned in so many words. You will have a chance to add an actual tip, if you decide that one has been merited (above and beyond the 15% you have already paid).

At Bistro On Five, the fee is $5, including service charge (forced tip).

Now, before anybody comes down on me like a ton of bricks, I will pre-emptively defend myself by saying that I have almost always left a generous genuine tip -- i.e., always when deserved, but not when not deserved. [On Millie, for a meal priced at $60, for example, I left a $30 tip.] I insist, however, that OP ("Jerry and Shelly") should NOT be made to feel guilty about leaving $0.00 extra, because a "forced tip" is already included by X, probably because too many people were forgetting to leave anything at all.

Just so you know, Celebrity Suite Guests are able to enjoy Specialty Venues at no cost. It is requested however, that the guest convey $5.00 for the gratuity per person. Not sure where your $4.00 came from.

Just so you know, Celebrity Suite Guests are able to enjoy Specialty Venues at no cost. It is requested however, that the guest convey $5.00 for the gratuity per person. Not sure where your $4.00 came from.

Just for clarity for others, this perk is limited though to one complimentary visit on a 7 night cruise and 2 on longer cruises, it is not a visit every night There is another thread running on this and what the variations in perk are between C, M and S class ships

now I am completely confused...

I get it ... when dining in Blue ... additional tipping is OPTIONAL but I would be a jerk to not tip any additional for the fantastic service I know I am going to get (no sarcasm here as I really do believe the service will be worth the xtra $$$)

but ... if I prepay my tips that does or does not cover housekeeping/room attendent ??

is this basically the info I can take away here ??? ...sorry ... I really am confused

:(

Tipping here is very touchy subject.

Your prepaid tips will include your waiter ($3.65), assistant waiter($2.10), Dining Room Management($1.00), your Stateroom Services($4.00), and other service personal($1.25) (for a total of $12 per person per day).

What you give extra is your business. If you feel that your dining staff deserve more than what is charged, then give them more, if not, don't. Same as anywhere else.

Lol the bill will be much higher than 30pp. Drinks, wine etc... usually get you into the $200+ range

I hope that this was for a family, for the clarification of new cruisers.:confused:

I have dined in the speciality restaurants and have come out much less then that. We normally don't get wine or drinks and the price can be kept close to the service charge.

...We normally don't get wine or drinks and the price can be kept close to the service charge.

It's very easy - if you don't normally get wine or drinks then the price will be the service charge cost plus an extra gratuity IF you choose to give one. On the other hand, it is easy to add on another couple hundred dollars with a couple of bottles of nicer wine and an after dinner drink. It all depends on your budget, drinking habits and what you enjoy spending your money on.

I hope that this was for a family, for the clarification of new cruisers.:confused:

I have dined in the speciality restaurants and have come out much less then that. We normally don't get wine or drinks and the price can be kept close to the service charge.

Just my wife and I

Just for clarity for others, this perk is limited though to one complimentary visit on a 7 night cruise and 2 on longer cruises, it is not a visit every night There is another thread running on this and what the variations in perk are between C, M and S class ships

Yes. Accurate clarity you have made. Thank You. My comments were more toward the amount but I am glad that you noted there are limitations to the complimentary quantities. :)

now I am completely confused...

I get it ... when dining in Blue ... additional tipping is OPTIONAL but I would be a jerk to not tip any additional for the fantastic service I know I am going to get (no sarcasm here as I really do believe the service will be worth the xtra $$$)

but ... if I prepay my tips that does or does not cover housekeeping/room attendent ??

is this basically the info I can take away here ??? ...sorry ... I really am confused

:(

If you prepay all your tips they include the housekeeping staff. That is Cabin Steward, assistant and some mysterious Chief Housekeeper There is a line item that seems to be a catch bucket for staff we can't actually define for certain too that may include some service staff devoted to en cabin service and the amount per day is miniscule.

If your question is do prepaid tips include cabin service for say a continental breakfast in the morning, most of us offer a dollar or two or more for each delivery. We (I) really don't know if they are covered in the buckets above and if they are I can't say for how much. If not, then I have them covered and I feel good about the arrangement.

If you prepay all your tips they include the housekeeping staff. That is Cabin Steward, assistant and some mysterious Chief Housekeeper There is a line item that seems to be a catch bucket for staff we can't actually define for certain too that may include some service staff devoted to en cabin service and the amount per day is miniscule.

If your question is do prepaid tips include cabin service for say a continental breakfast in the morning, most of us offer a dollar or two or more for each delivery. We (I) really don't know if they are covered in the buckets above and if they are I can't say for how much. If not, then I have them covered and I feel good about the arrangement.

Thank you ...seeing clearer now ... I figured this was how it worked ... looking forward to january

Archived