How far forward it too far??

dizzy205

Has anyone had a very forward balcony cabin? We booked a forward cabin, and from the pictures that I have seen, we are aound 8 rooms in on deck 5. If anyone has, and would like to share their experience, it would be appreciated. I am worried that my hubby will have motion issues...

We are sailing out of NY.

Thanks Much.

HI,

We had M5 on the Elation. It was the second or mabe third from the front of the boat. I don't remember any unusual motion at all. It was a nice room. Very quiet. Not the traffic of other rooms that we have had. We would book in the front again.

Teena

On the Victory in 02 wwe had the very first balcony cabin forward. It was a handicapped room as my husband needed it. We loved it except at night we had to keep our curtains closed so as not to interfere with the navigation. Bridge was just above us.

Becky

We are booked for a VERY far forward cabin on the PRIDE in about 5 weeks. I have been concerned about this all along. We are only 3 cabins from the bridge. We also have an extended balcony and NOW I hear that our balcony will be virtually useless because of the winds up front......sigh........I should have done better research!!

We were in V3 (Verandah deck, 2nd in) on the Fascination, and I did notice a LITTLE more movement than on the last cruise where I was lower and centered a bit more. We did have rougher seas though, so it could have just been that. It wasn't noticable enough that I'd never book that cabin again. Take some motion sickness stuff just to be safe...but we were ok.

I was in cabin E-1 on the Sensation, and in cabin M-6 on the Holiday. I've had cabins all over the ships, and felt no more motion in those forward cabins than I did mid-ship. Really.

If you're concerned, have your husband take a non-drowsy Bonine before boarding and one every morning during the cruise. They work!:)

He has tried the bonine type drugs. He has even gotten a perscription from his Dr., he winds up sleeping or just wanting to lay down. Maybe the non-drowsy will work. Hopefully this being his 3rd cruise, he will have he sea legs.

In the past, I have always had middle of the ship cabins. I know I will be ok, I hope the same for him.

ciship--how bad did you hear the winds get??

I hear the winds are bad enough that the only time you can go out on your balcony is if the ship is completely still...like in port. These are for the cabins directly under the bridge (like mine). I'm really bummed.

All of you that have had a FAR forward cabin with balcony.....let us hear from you please on the wind situation.

We are booked for a VERY far forward cabin on the PRIDE in about 5 weeks. I have been concerned about this all along. We are only 3 cabins from the bridge. We also have an extended balcony and NOW I hear that our balcony will be virtually useless because of the winds up front......sigh........I should have done better research!!

Have you tried to change your cabin assignment? If the category is the same, there shouldn't be a price variance.

I look forward to hearing from you!!! We are in 5122 on the legend, thats like 3 or 4 cabins from that one...on the other side right? I just checked, and those ships are set up the same, from what the Carnival book says. I can't wait to hear all about it! Enjoy your cruise! Have a drink for me!

I get motion-sick very easily in cars and tried ginger tablets - not only do I NOT get motion sick, there are no side effects. I would recommend taking them with food, though. You can buy them at any pharmacy and I've also found them at Target and Wal-Mart. I typically take 2 every morning.

Have you tried to change your cabin assignment? If the category is the same, there shouldn't be a price variance.

There are only 4 cabin combo's of this type on the PRIDE. We have an Extended Balcony connected to an inside cabin. We booked this one so that our kids would be in the room next to us and we could still have our balcony (and privacy). So, basically it is two cabins for virtually the price of 1.

From what I've heard/read, the only cabins affected are the first and second balcony cabins under the bridge. Everyone else should be fine. I also read that the 6th deck cabin/combo is worse than the 5th deck and we are on deck 5.

Red raspberry leaf tea or capsules also work well. I use them for my clients with bad morning sickness.

Is this ok for kids too?

I took Bonine for the first couple of days on my last cruise and felt horrible!! Once I figured out it was the Bonine making me feel sick, I stopped taking it and slept for 8 hours and was FINE the rest of the trip. I get horribly sick in cars as well, but the ship didnt seem to affect me.

Just off the Destiny - had a balcony on the Upper deck - about 6 or 8 from the front - no more motion than any other cruise. Just enough to (gently) rock us to sleep at night. We were fine going out on the balcony and no privacy issues.

Unless you are traveling through the Gulf Stream (usually one night out of FL) or a storm with high winds..you shouldn't have a problem..take your meds if you need them and enjoy!

I have more of an issue with my "sea legs" now that I am home!

Hope you all have as much fun and enjoyment on your cruise as we did! :)

I finally found one of the articles where I read this. Sounds like it is only applicable to the Spirit class of Carnival ships. Here it is:

Cabins at the bow have double-length balconies, but the outcropping at the forward bulkhead, the bridge wing right above them and the louvered venting that angles up the forward end of the balcony itself create a wind-tunnel effect that makes the space almost impossible to enjoy while at sea. They are also adjoining rooms, so you get no sofa and lots of noise from the next cabin.

Ciship, you would have to ask someone at the health food/vitamin store if red rasp is safe for kids. I would bet yes, since we give it to women in all stages of their pregnancy (even when something minor like Tylenol is forbidden). Tea is usually better than capsules too. Many of my clients drink a quart of it a day during certain parts of their pregnancy- I doubt your kids would drink that much ;) . OTC seasickness meds-I just don't like being sleepy while on vacation .

There are only 4 cabin combo's of this type on the PRIDE. We have an Extended Balcony connected to an inside cabin. We booked this one so that our kids would be in the room next to us and we could still have our balcony (and privacy). So, basically it is two cabins for virtually the price of 1.

From what I've heard/read, the only cabins affected are the first and second balcony cabins under the bridge. Everyone else should be fine. I also read that the 6th deck cabin/combo is worse than the 5th deck and we are on deck 5.

Wait, can you explain this to me. I'm cruising with my parents in June and we're all sharing a cabin! How can you get a 2nd for the price of one?

Hi Cyn. I don't know about the configuration of that cabin, but just wanted to advise you that if you book a cabin instead of sharing one w/your parents, you'll have to pay the single supplement....which is 150% for a 1A category, and 200% for anything above that.:eek:

Wait, can you explain this to me. I'm cruising with my parents in June and we're all sharing a cabin! How can you get a 2nd for the price of one?

I was as surprised as you are. My TA is the one who told me about the combo cabins. I had never heard of them. I guess people don't want them because they are so far forward and on top of Camp Carnival. They are probably also cheaper because of not being able to use the balconies much. The balcony cabin doesnt have a couch in it either because of the connection to the inside room. I don't know. I'm just guessing. All I know is that I got an awesome price for the two of them. Now once I get there, I may not think the cabin is so awesome. I'll let you know the pros and cons after my cruise.

Had 8112 (3 back from bridge) and never felt like there was a motion issue. My Mom (83) had never sailed before, but did fine once she got her sea legs. DH and I have had mid ship and I don't feel as though it was any different. either you have sea legs or you don't...

Archived