Missed Ship

NYOB

Has anyone ever missed the ship in one of the ports of call? How was the problem addressed? Does the ship ever wait for people who are late?

If you miss the ship, because of your own stupidity, than your screwed. IF you ship sponsored tour bus breaks down, the ship will wait, because you booked through the ship. If anything happens, our of your control, but not related to the ship, you will hava a really bad day, and the ship will not wait. If you are running down the pier, as the ship is moving, people will wave at you, and possible will even laugh, and the ship, will not stop.

So the moral of the story is, wear a watch.

I've heard of many being left behind over the time changes. Seems they get to a port not aware of the time change as sometimes the ship stays on the same time and sometimes it will change with the time zones. So you are in a bar thinking you got another hour for another round of drinks as your ship pulls away. It happens more often then you would think. You can hire a private plane to take you to the next port. And I've heard of speed boats being hired to catch the ship leaving port.

If you are running down the pier, as the ship is moving, people will wave at you, and possible will even laugh, and the ship, will not stop.

Not to mention, people will also film you and upload it to youtube for the world to see:D

When I was in Sitka last year I got back from an excursion right before it was time to board. The line was very long. One tender came, and couldn't take everyone. There was going to be one more tender. The piano player thought he would have enough time to go to the bar and have a drink. The piano player and a girl who was there alone from Ireland met in line and went to the bar. The last tender came and they were no where to be found. People told the workers on the tender, but they left anyways.

Our ship left late that day and I found out that they did send another tender to retrieve the two passengers. I am sure he received special treatment for being a Carnival employee. He had told Carnival that he saw this girl leave, so he went to find her to make sure she made it back to the ship. How ridiculous.

yes, plenty of people have missed the ship & no they won't wait for you.:eek:the only time they will wait is if you are on a carnival purchased shore excursion that gets back late.

thus the importance of ship excursions ,for your own safety net, for first time cruisers

they sure will, just like this.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yrsXsJmbw:eek:

I really hope those two had passports and credit cards! There are often threads about what you need to get back on the ship. If you do miss, and do not have these, then you day will go from bad to worse...

You are told to be on the ship 30 minutes before sailing.

So if your ship is due to leave at 4pm-- it leaves at 4pm. You are to be back onboard 30 minutes before so they can pull the lines and be on the way.

For the people running up the pier as the ship is pulling out is quite sad on their parts.

I always see these posts saying that the ship won't wait. We were on the Conquest in Cozumel last fall, and they waited 45 minutes for a couple of stragglers. Yes, they finally did board. Another Carnival ship next to us was supposed to leave an hour before we did, and they were still in port waiting when we finally pulled out.

I always see these posts saying that the ship won't wait. We were on the Conquest in Cozumel last fall, and they waited 45 minutes for a couple of stragglers. Yes, they finally did board. Another Carnival ship next to us was supposed to leave an hour before we did, and they were still in port waiting when we finally pulled out.

Yes, I think the ship will wait for a little while, if possible, even if you're not on the ship excursion. On each of my last few cruises, we were late leaving port because of a few stragglers.

You can always tell which people didn't make it back to the ship on time, because about 15 minutes before the ship is scheduled to sail, someone pages the missing passengers over the PA system, and continues to do so in 5-10 minute increments until the passengers show up or the ship sets sail.

For those that miss the ship, they will find a Carnival rep at the pier with instructions on where to stay for the night (at the passengers' expense), and how to catch up to the ship at the next port or two (again, at the passengers' expense).

A friend of mine's daughter and son in law, were late getting back, the ship waited for them (about 40 minutes). They were asked to write apology letters to the Captain, which they did. It was on Princess.....

lol....

And if you refuse to write a letter do they make you stand in the corner? :D

I really hope those two had passports and credit cards! There are often threads about what you need to get back on the ship. If you do miss, and do not have these, then you day will go from bad to worse...

Do they tell you what you need when you get off the ship for excursions,as far as passports and things. i think for the us being first time cruisers we will book from the boat so we wont be running down the pier waving at the ship.

If you are running down the pier, as the ship is moving, people will wave at you, and possible will even laugh, and the ship, will not stop.

On another thread on this same subject, someone, [surprisingly, not me] suggested the ship supply water balloons to throw at the runners, to absolutely complete the humiliation.:eek::D

Some stories have been told about the ship sending someone to empty your safe and leave your valuables at the port so you are not stranded without money or ID?

I always wondered if there was any truth to these stories.

We always do snorkel trips and not much room for our passports.

I know people take copies and a credit card in a water proof case.

We do this, but you can't take much on a dive trip.

But always wondered what the ship did to help people who missed the boat.

No that is what the plank is for.

Dude, that is so "old school"!

With all the advancements in the cruise industry, I'm surprised Carnival hasn't come up with something more entertaining! :cool:

my roommate did on a singles cruise. it was his 1st cruise and he drank too much at the 1st port. carnival did their best imho. when i heard his name being called over the loudspeaker i went to the purser desk. they asked me everything they could and i had to say i didn't know anything about the guy, if he had a cellphone,wallet or his visa with him, his home contact number, etc...

luckily about 10 passengers missed the ship and 1 person had a ton of cash and they caught taxis and buses to the next port with one local acting as group guide. i think it was cozumel and belize. he did say arriving in belize and sitting in the police station with $2 in your pocket at midnight , the power is off,and you only have your drivers license is not pleasant because if the power doesn't come back on your paperwork won't be processed and you are now shoot out of luck. that 18 hour road trip cost my roomie $450 in 'fees'. since he didn't have a visa i guess his best option would have been to take buses all the way home if he had missed the next port.

they sure will, just like this.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yrsXsJmbw:eek:

Wow. Although we have booked excursions through Carnival, one of the excursions is the Hop-on/off bus which gives us plenty of time to explore on our own. We will still set our watches by ship time AND set the mobile phone alarms to alert us to return!

Thanks!

Archived