Rome question

mikeleahy

aarrgh - so confusing

i have cancelled the tour as in the back of my mind i was worried i was going to miss the ship and also miss the best part of the tour

so back to square 1 :-)

1. arrive in room and go to colosseum - get audio guide tour

2. visit san clemente while there

3. go to trevi fountain and laze about and have a long lunch with some wine

4. pantheon

back to cruise ship nice and relaxed

does this sound good ? im sorry but i have two more questions

a ) can i buy colesseum tickets on line without having to buy the combo ones?

b) from the trevi fountain area, how do i get to the pantheon?

thanks so much for this.

You can buy tickets on line, but they'll cost more. Some people do it anyway for convenience and the peace of mind they get from having it done. I've never bothered, but I'm pretty comfortable in Italy and don't stress too much about anything.

Your new plan works well. Keep in mind that San Clemente closes for several hours in the afternoon, so plan accordingly. The last entry to the excavations is at 12:10, but that won't give you much time down there. By the way, they have an excellent web site: http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/

There is a pedestrian path from Trevi to the Pantheon (which continues on to Piazza Navona) - you'll see brown signs directing you along the way. To see it on a google map, use Piazza di Trevi as your starting point, and Piazza della Rotonda as your end point, and be sure to choose the walking directions. You'll see that it's pretty much a straight line, and less than a half mile away.

If you decide to head back to Civitavecchia from the Pantheon, the easiest way back is to walk to Largo Argentina (about three blocks directly south from the Pantheon). Here you board the #8 tram (the front of the tram will say Casaletto). You can't get on the wrong one, there's only one tram that uses this station, which is the beginning or end of the line, depending on which direction you're going. At any rate, you take this tram for nine stops, to the Roma Trastevere train station. Here's the list of stops:

ARGENTINA (where you get on)

ARENULA/MIN. G.GIUSTIZIA

BELLI

TRASTEVERE/MASTAI

TRASTEVERE/MIN. P.ISTRUZIONE

TRASTEVERE/BERNARD

DA FELTRE

IPPOLITO NIEVO

TRASTEVERE/PASCARELLA

STAZ.NE TRASTEVERE

First of all let me say that I think you are making the right decision! There is SO much to see in Rome, why would you want to spend a large part of your only day underground!! The catacombs are interesting but certainly not one of the great highlights of our 4 trips to Rome, if that gives you any reassurance.

You can buy the Colosseum ticket at the Palatine Hill entrance which also will allow you time to wander around the Forum--the Rick Steves' download suggestion is great. It is an amazing place and I think in the long run you will be much happier and much less stressed about times.

Have fun!

That's why I suggested going to the Palatine ticket booth on your way to the Colosseum, there's never been a line there in the ten years I've been going to Rome, including a busy day last July. (see post #23 for the information on this)

You should be able to hit the Colosseum first and still have plenty of time for San Clemente, I was just warning you not to let it go too late. The Colosseum is a good hour to ninety minutes for most people, but it will be very, very hot in there, so it's best to do it as early in the morning as possible.

San Clemente, on the other hand, will be quite cool, especially two levels below ground.

Here's a map for the route that euro cruiser is suggesting.

You would get off the metro at A (Circo Massimo), buy your tickets at B (Palatine) go to the entrance of the Colosseum ©, and from there to San Clemente (D). Great views along the whole route!

The ticket to the Colosseum includes Palatine Hill. I don't believe that you can buy tickets to only the Colosseum. The Forum is free. I agree about buying your ticket either at the Palatine Hill area (you'll have to walk past the Colosseum first after getting off the Metro and then double back to the Colosseum) or buying online ahead of time. The line even at 9 am was quite lengthy. We had Roma passes so we walked all the way up to the front, which is what you would do if you had already purchased tickets ahead of time.

Trevi to the Pantheon is a very easy walk and there are signs pointing you in the right way. Some of the streets in Rome can be confusing as they are sometimes not linear, but as long as you know what general direction to head in, seems like you can always find what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. I miss the days when I could wander in and out of the Forum at will (between 2000 and sometime in 2008, I think).

The combination ticket covers all three, including the Forum.

Ah, you are correct. I have a slightly dated 2007 Rick Steve's guidebook that stated it was free. But the onl way that we saw to get into the Forum, at least the way most people getting off the Metro would go, was through Palatine Hill - which did require you to have a ticket. The "Via Sacra" is now an "exit only". You ned to wander through Palatine Hill to get to the Forum.

I really like your new itinerary a lot, you will love the San Clemente church. I have to mention the Capuchin Crypt, which I think is very interesting and just a little weird, because you will be fairly close to it when you are at the Metro Barberini, just in case you wander that way!

http://www.cappucciniviaveneto.it/cappuccini_ing.html

Have a great time!

Thanks for the graphic help Susan, one of these days I've got to figure out how to save and post google maps.

To save a map, click on "Link" in the blue bar, top right side of the map, and copy the address in the top box (under "Paste Link in Email or IM).

This thread (post #2) gives details about posting hyperlinks.

There's a test forum to try it out on.

:)

I really like your new itinerary a lot, you will love the San Clemente church. I have to mention the Capuchin Crypt, which I think is very interesting and just a little weird, because you will be fairly close to it when you are at the Metro Barberini, just in case you wander that way!

http://www.cappucciniviaveneto.it/cappuccini_ing.html

Have a great time!

I agree!!! It is only a few steps from the Barberini stop and definitely unlike anything else I have seen.

mikeleahy: have you considered hiring a tour guide? We did a whole day in Rome that included a visit to one of the catacombs and we saw a lot in one day. He was able to get tickets beforehand so we didn't wait in any lines. He can even get you at the port and take you back. If you need a good guide, I can suggest one. (disclaimer: i am NOT the tour guide nor do I have any financial stake in his business; had a great experience and am offering to share!)

this post is getting out of hand with all the ideas :-)

id love to see the crypt but wont have time at all if its closed from 12 -3. ship due in at 8, will make the 9am train, will be at colesseum area by 10.30.should we go to san clemente first cos if we do colesseum first then we will be rushed in san clemente if the last entry underground is at 12.15.

but if we do san clemente first then we will be in colosseum around 12, will it be unbearably hot in there and crowded at that time?

i also presume if we hit colosseum at 11, we should b out at 12, then make the last trip undergroun in san clemente?

im going to get the tickets on line, thanks for the info on the palatine hill but for a few euro extra ill have the tickets in my hand and want to keep the walking to an acceptable standard (my lady friend will be complaining :-)

is there a tour of san clemente? or is it just walk around yourself?

There's no tour. Just print out some of the information given in the link in post #27 above. (Open the link, go to "Tour" and then click on each level.)

It's not huge, but there's a lot to see at each level.

ship due in at 8, will make the 9am train, will be at colesseum area by 10.30.should we go to san clemente first cos if we do colesseum first then we will be rushed in san clemente if the last entry underground is at 12.15.

but if we do san clemente first then we will be in colosseum around 12, will it be unbearably hot in there and crowded at that time?

i also presume if we hit colosseum at 11, we should b out at 12, then make the last trip undergroun in san clemente?

If they close the excavations at San Clemente at 12:30 and require that people leave at that time, I don't think I would want to arrive any later than about 11:50. It's going to take a few minutes to get your tickets and head down stairs, and that leaves a half hour to explore. Anything less is going to be too rushed to make it worthwhile.

If it's a hot day, I don't think it will be much different temperature wise at the colosseum from 11-12 or 12-1 ... I would just wait and see what time you get there at ... if you arrive in good time (10:30) going to the Colosseum first is probably your best choice, and if you are closer to 11 you should probably head to San Clemente first.

Wear your most comfortable shoes that day (lots of cobblestones), and bring hats and sunscreen so you don't get fried ... esp. if it's as hot and sunny then as it is right now. :)

Here's a map for the route that euro cruiser is suggesting.

You would get off the metro at A (Circo Massimo), buy your tickets at B (Palatine) go to the entrance of the Colosseum ©, and from there to San Clemente (D). Great views along the whole route!

Excellent map here, I didn't realize google maps gave walking routes thanks for showing me this. Have you had an opportunity to see if they are good enough to use?

Hi: Can you point out the entrance to the colosseum after we secure our tickets at Palatine Hill. I now know we pass the line on the left side.

Thanks

Dave

You won't be able to miss the entrance.

From the Palatine Hill ticket booth, walk north along Via Gregorio and around the Arch of Constantine (as if you could have walked under the arch).

The entrance to the Colosseum is on the western end of the oval, directly in front of you.

If you create a google map using these coordinates, the green arrow will be on the entrance: 41.890378,12.4913

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=41.890378,12.4913&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.885543,56.337891&ie=UTF8&ll=41.89003,12.490683&spn=0.001885,0.003439&t=h&z=18

aarrgh - so confusing

i have cancelled the tour as in the back of my mind i was worried i was going to miss the ship and also miss the best part of the tour

so back to square 1 :-)

1. arrive in room and go to colosseum - get audio guide tour

2. visit san clemente while there

3. go to trevi fountain and laze about and have a long lunch with some wine

4. pantheon

back to cruise ship nice and relaxed

does this sound good ? im sorry but i have two more questions

a ) can i buy colesseum tickets on line without having to buy the combo ones?

b) from the trevi fountain area, how do i get to the pantheon?

thanks so much for this.

I zeroxed a map of Rome from a guide book. My husband and I used that and walked all over the main part or Rome seeing most of what we wanted to see. Many times we just headed in the direction of the site and found it. I LOVE ROME!! It is the most amazing city, I hope to visit it many more times before I die!! Have a wonderful time in this amazing city!!:)

You won't be able to miss the entrance.

From the Palatine Hill ticket booth, walk north along Via Gregorio and around the Arch of Constantine (as if you could have walked under the arch).

The entrance to the Colosseum is on the western end of the oval, directly in front of you.

If you create a google map using these coordinates, the green arrow will be on the entrance: 41.890378,12.4913

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=41.890378,12.4913&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.885543,56.337891&ie=UTF8&ll=41.89003,12.490683&spn=0.001885,0.003439&t=h&z=18

Thanks all of you have made our visit to Rome much easier. We are visiting the Colosseum,Palatine hill and forum to Piazza Venezia and on to Piazza Novana. Using a taxi to St Pietro station for our return to the ship.

Dave

Archived