Where does the resposibility lie?

Karysa

I book mine through the cruise line most often and I have not had that experience myself. Sites such as this can provide a wealth of information and I gather much of mine this way but if someone such as a travel agent had some information that would help me enjoy my vacation more and alert me to potential dangers I would be very grateful.

You can always ask a TA or their customer service department if you have any questions or concerns. Sometimes they have to do the research and find things out also and sometimes they already know the answer and will explain it to you in the best way possible. So if you booked your cruise and then found out there was something going on in a port you could call or email them and get the scoop. If there was a high security alert I'm sure they would contact all their guests but other then that and asking questions yourself and doing some research it's the guests responsibility.

I've been DC, Philly, New Orleans (pre-Katrina) I never had any issues. Although one time in DC my DH got us lost and we ended up in the "scenic route" in DC. But no one even bothered us. I grew up in NYC and still take subways late at night without any issue yet. But you just got to have common sense and be aware of your surroundings anywhere you go. There are certain parts of my town that I don't go at night. I'm a city girl, the rural country scares me.:D

I am traveling to Hawaii (I know, safe area) in September and have been reading everything I can about the "good" vs. "bad" parts of town. Just my opinion.

I lived in Hawaii for 10 years and I can tell you its like being in a foreign country. there were pockets of where they grow the green stuff, so you were told do not roam around the mountains by yourself, people dissapear. I find it hard to believe things suddenly are totally safe. I did find Hawaii different than the mainland in many ways.

Dont take any place for granted as being safe.

And yes, Iv been to Coki beach and had a great time.

Today one of the biggest problems facing society is that very few people are willing to assume responsibility for themselves or their actions. It is easier to try to place the burden of responsibility on someone else rather than face their own shortcomings. Besides it might allow someone to sue...probably todays most used phrase next to not me. It is my responsibility to know about my surroundings and potential problems whether in the US or abroad...no one elses.

I went to a talk recently and an Ethicist was giving a presentation and he said that Informed Consent and To Do No Harm was not enough and we should ask ourselves the question What Ought I Do? So that is why I asked the question? If the Cruise line or Travel Agent has information that they would most certainly take into consideration for themselves and their family members should they not pass that information on to us. It is an interesting subject to me, there are many different answers depending on who you ask because we may not all have the same belief system.

You are always responsible for yourself. This responsibility extends to gathering the information needed to keep yourself safe. If you abdicate this responsibility, you do so at your own risk. But this does not mean that the girl, her family, or the driver caused her death. I highly doubt that the driver would have taken the fare had he known that there was a gang funeral happening there at that time. It would be responsible to ask a driver if the place you are visiting is safe and if there are any particular precautions you should take. But going through life asking if there is a gang funeral happening in a location when you plan to visit is a pretty ridiculous thing to do. This was unfortunate, and random. You can never fully protect yourself from the negligence of others, though you can do your best to reduce it. There is no place that is 100% safe - even if you lock yourself inside a safe room for your entire life you would still die, it would just be highly unlikely that what killed you was random violent crime. No guarantees that the sheltered life would be long either - a stroke, hemorrhage, or other event could strike without warning.

In the end, the person responsible for this unfortunate girl's death is the one who pulled the trigger. He acted negligently, and he should be punished appropriately for his crimes.

Unless you're mentally incompetent, I think any adult should be responsible for whatever they do on a vacation....and in life. This includes walking down dark alleys by mistake, riding on a banana boat and getting tossed off, getting bruised when falling off of a horse, drinking yourself stupid and doing God knows what (did it when I was younger and more stupid than now), etc.

If one feels one "deserves" to be warned about every peril in the world, personally, I think you should stay home under a blanket in the fetal position :).

Unfortunately, things happen. It's called life. Use common sense and plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Maybe nobody has been there. I know I haven't been to either.

I live in NYC and I have been to Detroit. Yes no one comes to NY its too crowded.

I even like Cleveland and Buffalo...I despise Detroit- they roll at the sidewalks at 4 pm....

Archived