Suggestion on Hotels in Rome for 2011

pbo258

Anyone have any suggestions for a hotel in Rome for a few nights in May of 2011?

Go to www.hotelinroma.com. This website is a booker for hundreds of hotels in Rome. You can browse by area of the city and level of hotel. If you find one you like, you can either book through them or go to the hotel's own web site. I have found that if you go to the hotel's own web site and book directly with the hotel, you can often get substantial savings over the rate listed on hotelinroma.com. I found a 4 star hotel 6 blocks form the Vatican for 159 euros per night, wheras the published price was nearly twice that. Good luck!

It also helps to do a little planning as to what you want to see in Rome. If you primarily want to do the Vatican, then a Vatican location makes sense. But it's less convenient for the rest of the historic area.

The area around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona is very central, and from there you can walk most anywhere (assuming you're physically able), except perhaps the Vatican......although even then you can get to St Peters from Piazza Navona in about 30 minutes on foot.

I like venere.com for hotels and locations, and no money upfront (unlike some of the other booking sites). Then I use tripadvisor.com for reviews in addition to the venere reviews.

And another good website is http://europeforvisitors.com/rome/

Europe for Visitors has almost anywhere you want to go, it's a really useful website.

A trip to your local library to check out travel books (Fodor, Frommer, Rick Steves, etc) to help you know what it is you want to do in the different cities.

Then take a look at viator.com for tours of that area (just to see what is available) and make your decisions from that.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip!

Archived