Rain forest question

Lil Eng

First time on Princess and will be stopping in Puerto Rico, I've heard that some people love the rain forest others think it is a waste of time. Would like an opinion from this board as I trust all of you frequent cruisers. Also, we'll be in St. Thomas on a Sunday, are the stores open? I appreciate everyone's feedback, thank you in advance.

First time on Princess and will be stopping in Puerto Rico, I've heard that some people love the rain forest others think it is a waste of time. Would like an opinion from this board as I trust all of you frequent cruisers. Also, we'll be in St. Thomas on a Sunday, are the stores open? I appreciate everyone's feedback, thank you in advance.

We have been to El Yunque many times. Its a nice mile or 2 hike to the falls. Beautiful scenary. What can I say you are in the middle of a rain forest. Its worth a shot at least once.

Depends on your timing and what else you have seen in San Juan. The rain forest is very nice, but I would suggest walking or taking the HOHO bus around the old city if you haven't been there before. We love San Juan as a embarkation/disembarkation port, so that we can spend extra days there.

We did it as a post-cruise tour which dropped us off at the airport afterwards. It was a nice way to pass the time before our late flight home, and to secure transportation to the airport, however I don't think it was something we'd seek out to do if there were other options.

This is off the thread but, Donna, I wanted to let you know i joined book crossing - great idea! I'll be joining the book discussion group on 7/29 Princes cruise. Maybe we'll meet. Janice

This is off the thread but, Donna, I wanted to let you know i joined book crossing - great idea! I'll be joining the book discussion group on 7/29 Princes cruise. Maybe we'll meet. Janice

I'm so glad you joined bookcrossing!!! It's my second favorite hobby after cruising.

I forgot all about the book discussion group...I'll check that out now.

(It looks like we aren't on the same cruise...your countdown clock and roll call postings are for 7/20; we are on the cruise after that one)

Where on Long Island are you? We're in North Massapequa.

If you enjoy nature and hiking, then do it. If you're so-so about it, choose another excursion. If you have any heart, knee or hip problems, skip it. The trail goes down into a gorge, and of course. you've got to be able to hike out of the gorge. We saw very little animal life - it's primarily vegetation that you'll see.

Frankly, I've been to more spectacular places like the Emerald Pool and Trafalgar Falls in Dominica. There are many other things to see and do in Puerto Rico, so if you're uncertain, choose another excursion.

We loved our tour to El Yunque. Beautiful scenery and we did the short hike and it was lovely. For us it was definitely necessary to have rain ponchos (go figure in the rain forest) as several folks who were not prepared stayed behind with the group on the bus while we trekked through the forest.

I'm really glad I did it. It was our dis-embarkation tour since we had a lot of time before our flight and this was a great way to spend our last hours in PR. I don't know that I would do it again, but we all felt it was worthwhile.

One person once posted that they hated the tour, as all they saw were trees and it rained.

For everyone else, a visit to the El Yunque rain forest is usually a nice experience.

:p Funny...

We went to the El Yunque on a 9-day Caribbean Princess voyage. We had a nice time. The bus trip out took awhile and it was sorta crowded the day we were there, but it was beautiful. Yes, it rained, but we were prepared for that. All in all, it was worthwhile.

Archived