RCI & 'Rip off Britain'

Yes it is a rip-off - despite what the RCL cheerleaders think. I'm on Voyager out of Barcelona next week - up until less than 2 weeks ago there were loads of empty cabins, it's now sold out, sold off cheaply I suspect. It seems Adventure is selling badly, presumably because it's not sailing from Barcelona which many US travellers like to tick off in their places to visit box (and why wouldn't they). I expect all the cabins will be sold off cheaply to Spanish families for the rest of the season and they may even have to rethink Adventure sailings from Spain.

Jolimont has argued about this before, I have pointed out the unfairness of pricing to US customers (as has Peteukmcr). All that happens is that we get a number of others telling us to stop moaning, this is what supply and demand is like, choose another cruise line etc etc.

I can accept the business thinking behind this if they are trying to attract a new market of cruisers from Spain and therefore give them extremely tempting rates but if the only way they can tempt them is to make the rates so low I don't believe they'll carry on cruising (cue for a film ;)) once they start to charge the 'normal' rates. This is exactly what happened on the Mariner out of LA which we'd booked and has now been cancelled. Apparently they were only filling the ship time after time by really dropping the rates, so they pulled it out altogether. Also, if their business plan says give low residency rates, how come sailings on the Indy from the UK are the highest of any cruise I've ever priced up.

Bottom line is, yes they are ripping off UK customers every way they can :mad:

In the olden days, people in the USA complained because the people in San Juan, PR could book the Adventure so much cheaper than the people in the continental USA. Does RCI hold a gun to your head forcing you to book a cruise with them in the UK? I always thought you had stringent gun control?:confused: If they offer a price and you deem it worthwhile you book it. If they offer a price and you think it is too high (rip-off) don't book it. Is this concept too difficult for you to comprehend? It is obviously not a secret that prices are not the same every where on the planet, so arm your self with knowledge and make your best personal decision.

Calling a transaction that you are under zero compulsion to make a "rip-off" is just pathetic. You have no right to a cruise.

We are screwed because everyone believes that they have an absolute right to things that are in no way natural rights.:(

jc

Does RCI hold a gun to your head forcing you to book a cruise with them in the UK? I always thought you had stringent gun control?:confused: ............

Calling a transaction that you are under zero compulsion to make a "rip-off" is just pathetic. You have no right to a cruise.

We are screwed because everyone believes that they have an absolute right to things that are in no way natural rights.:(

jc

Do you always give such obnoxious responses :eek:

Not quite the same, but let´s go grocery shopping. We are going to use one of the big chains that are operating nationwide.

Buying the same products, are you paying the same price across the country?

I know over here there are regional price differences, I´d be interested to know how it´s in your country.

That's a long litany of people trying to justify the unjustifiable. RCI defenders sometimes sound like they're defending their religion and get very defensive, like how dare you find anything whatsoever wrong with my beloved cruise line! Or they say all cruise lines are the same, or Carnival is worse, or they're not braking the law.

The truth is RCI is screwing people over with their pricing and they are completely transparent about it. There is a big difference between what a business can do and what it should do. You can get the highest price possible, but you shouldn't be hard-nosed about it when the customers find out.

We're not talking $50 here, the OP just pointed out 50% difference in price and I got screwed over $1000.

What's worse is when an I called and pointed out the glaring large difference in price the two people I talked to didn't budge an inch. It's for new bookings only, it's for local residents, it's not tues special, 4th of July special, whatever. The truth is they think they can get away with it.

And I think they cannot get away with it because they are bad at it. You know how at Nordstrom's they always stand by their products? Well at RCI they never do and it's legal, so get lost! That's how you build a reputation. People do not forget having been taken advantage of and sooner or later it'll happen to you too.

How do I make sure it doesn't happen to me again? Never ever book an RCI cruise more than 2 or 3 weeks ahead and now look to buy from Spain if that's where I'm sailing from which is not a problem for me since I spend lots of time in Spain. Or don't sail RCI again.

Consumers vote with their pocketbook/money. If you feel the price is too high no matter what the product is -- don't buy it. If sales aren't at the level that RCCL' expects them to be, they will have to lower the prices to fill up the sailing.

As long as there are people willing to pay the going rate from RCCL, prices will continue to go up and up.

MARAPRINCE

Forgive my ignorant question:

Why can't someone who lives in the UK book their cruise from a site in Spain or the US or Italy?

As for the price differences - that's EXTREME!

As a resident of FL I get last minute cruise discounts because the cruise lines know I can simply drive to their ports in 3 hours or less. Those discounts are usually 10-15% not 50%!

Also can I book a cruise on that Spanish web site and get that great price?

I have a long time friend who has lived in Fuengirola near Malaga for many years.

He and his good lady are also cruisers. He does tend to look after the pennies and always books a guaranteed, inside stateroom. His view is that they have a fabulous view from their apartment balcony in Fuengirola ( very true ) and they only use the room to sleep in.

He has just booked two RCI cruises sailing from Malaga later this year and this is an extract from an e-mail he has just sent me.

02 Oct. Adventure-o-t-Seas, ex. Malaga, 1week. We booked online with RCI, Spain, and paid £700 for the 2 of us, including taxes and pre-paid tips. I checked on the RCI, UK, site and the same cruise, NOT including flights, but like for like, would have cost £1,259!!! - Crazy, isn't it!!!

08 Nov. Adventure-o-t-Seas, ex. Malaga, 5 days. Again booked online with RCI, Spain, total cost incl. taxes and tips, £350 for 2. Checked with RCI, UK, and same cruise, no flights, £635!!! -Unbelievable!!!

How on earth can this be justified? :mad:

Jim.

Just courious can you get a price in £ in Spain or did you convert from €?

Not quite the same, but let´s go grocery shopping. We are going to use one of the big chains that are operating nationwide.

Buying the same products, are you paying the same price across the country?

I know over here there are regional price differences, I´d be interested to know how it´s in your country.

Yes it is

:cj

Just courious can you get a price in £ in Spain or did you convert from €?

I didn't but my friend in Spain did, the text in italics was copied from his e-mail to me.;)

Modest price differentials are one thing, nearly 50% is OTT, IMHO of course.

I didn't but my friend in Spain did, the text in italics was copied from his e-mail to me.;)

Modest price differentials are one thing, nearly 50% is OTT, IMHO of course.

but don't the Brits get some protections,as happened during the eruption,that other countries do not?

In the olden days, people in the USA complained because the people in San Juan, PR could book the Adventure so much cheaper than the people in the continental USA. Does RCI hold a gun to your head forcing you to book a cruise with them in the UK? I always thought you had stringent gun control?:confused: If they offer a price and you deem it worthwhile you book it. If they offer a price and you think it is too high (rip-off) don't book it. Is this concept too difficult for you to comprehend? It is obviously not a secret that prices are not the same every where on the planet, so arm your self with knowledge and make your best personal decision.

jc

I have to say that I found the tone of your response is very poor indeed on what is usually a constructive forum, a saying in Northern England goes, "wind your neck in son" and I think its very apt here.

The original poster has clearly stated what he (and I for that matter) perceive to be an unjustifiable pricing strategy.

He has every right to cruise or not, complain about the price and come on here and tell us all about it.

End of story.

but don't the Brits get some protections,as happened during the eruption,that other countries do not?

Not necessarily. If we book through a travel agent or travel company which is a member of ABTA and IATA then we are afforded protection; mostly this covers things like the company going into liquidation.

During the Volcanic ash eruption people who chose to take different modes of transport home didn't always get their travel expenses etc. covered - this was down to each person's travel insurance policy. My brother's travel insurance refused to pay for he and his family to travel home by train and ferry because they said that the eruption was an "act of God".

Despite the fact that we pay more for RCI cruises than the US folks, I don't believe that the ABTA/IATA protection would have meant that RCI were obliged to keep Brits on board ship for an extra week during the ash disruption; that would have been down to the goodwill (and stateroom availability) of RCI. However if RCI went into liquidation then our protection would mean that we would be reimbursed for any cancelled cruises.

It would have to be some pretty heavy duty 'protection' to justify a £559 price differential.;)

I have to say that I found the tone of your response is very poor indeed on what is usually a constructive forum, a saying in Northern England goes, "wind your neck in son" and I think its very apt here.

The original poster has clearly stated what he (and I for that matter) perceive to be an unjustifiable pricing strategy.

He has every right to cruise or not, complain about the price and come on here and tell us all about it.

End of story.

See, I agree he has the right to complain (freedom of speech is a natural right). Getting the same price as someone in another country is not a natural right.

My problem is calling a voluntary transaction a rip-off. How can it be a rip-off if both parties agree. Now if you want to say it is unjustifiably higher, ok. I might even agree with you. Hence my bit about knowledge is power and all that jazz. In other words shop around.

If you or the OP doesn't like the prices of RCI from your UK office, don't buy a cruise. Simple....

Remember we don't have to agree with what is or isn't an outrage. That is another natural right to our point of view....:D Of course, so many people are so ready to be outraged over just about anything that it sort of has lost any real significance....:rolleyes:

jc

Only those under European law, which is the same of all of the EU, (including Spain), and a few less than some EU countries where local laws provide even greater protection than the EU laws (mostly where the cruise line also provides flights). Historically the cost of these protections is minimal and does not warrant the great differential seen on some cruises, if it did then the same differential would be seen uniformly on similar cruises, which it is not.

The practice that RCL appear to be using is discriminatory pricing, effectively charging each country that amount that they feel they can and gain for the level of sales they want. For me this ,keads to disceiminatry purcashing, buying only when I think that the price is fair.

As for being able to make the purchase from another country, this is made almost impossible by RCL, even across EU boarders. It is possible to purcase from RCL in the US, but this CANNOT be done direclty, it has to be through an accomdating TA, I have not tried this across EU boarders after getting set back very severely by an attempt a year ago, when I just hit brick walls.

See, I agree he has the right to complain (freedom of speech is a natural right). Getting the same price as someone in another country is not a natural right.

My problem is calling a voluntary transaction a rip-off. How can it be a rip-off if both parties agree. Now if you want to say it is unjustifiably higher, ok. I might even agree with you. Hence my bit about knowledge is power and all that jazz. In other words shop around.

If you or the OP doesn't like the prices of RCI from your UK office, don't buy a cruise. Simple....

Remember we don't have to agree with what is or isn't an outrage. That is another natural right to our point of view....:D Of course, so many people are so ready to be outraged over just about anything that it sort of has lost any real significance....:rolleyes:

jc

Not even people in the same country will get the same price (residency rates);)

Only those under European law, which is the same of all of the EU, (including Spain), and a few less than some EU countries where local laws provide even greater protection than the EU laws (mostly where the cruise line also provides flights). Historically the cost of these protections is minimal and does not warrant the great differential seen on some cruises, if it did then the same differential would be seen uniformly on similar cruises, which it is not.

The practice that RCL appear to be using is discriminatory pricing, effectively charging each country that amount that they feel they can and gain for the level of sales they want.

Discriminatory pricing??? :rolleyes: Come on:eek: Who are they discriminating?

For what are they discriminating???

That´s ridiculous.

So if they give senior rates are they discriminating me as well, as I´m under 55? :rolleyes:

That´s ridiculous.

So if they give senior rates are they discriminating me as well, as I´m under 55? :rolleyes:

LOL, it is a economic term used to mean that different customers are charged different rates, it is not a positive or a negative term, it is an accepted term for the pratice, so no need for a high horse here. :rolleyes:

To see what I mean just put the term discriminatory pricing into google :)

It is seen within country boarders and across international boarders, it can be used for positive or negative effect.

That´s ridiculous.

Yes.

As per wikipedia page quote from UN explaination: "Discriminatory behaviors take many forms, but they all involve some form of exclusion or rejection."

So if your age is under 55 then you are excluded from a deal offered to those 55 and over. Same for discounts if you are employed in certain jobs, etc. It is simply marketing. It is not that a cruise line prefers to sell their services to a 55 year old (discount) fireman (or woman!) (discount) from Florida (discount) because they like them better. They just want to fill their ship without having to discount ALL their fares to everyone. And they weigh that benefit vs. possibly annoying others.

Besides, they can offer to a small group a discount big enough to sell a lot of cabins but that same total discount spread over all the cabins would not have nearly the same effect to fill the ship to the brim.

A small discount here or there between this state and that is one thing but ƒ599 is a big increase against the reduced fare. I'd be unhappy about that amount if I was seriously interested in that cruise. Otherwise for me it is just something to remember when I do get a promo piece in the mail from that same cruise line.

I refuse to fly on a certain airline becasue of this same issue. Ironically by paying the higher fare I'd be subsidizing the discriminatory pricing benefit that others receive flying from another gateway. In that case the cost was twice as much and I chose to walk with my money.

Often we are discriminated against or get a benefit becasue of it. Some of it is legal, some is not. Many times we do not even know it has happened. However because even legal discrimination it is by definition exclusionary, folks will be offended or upset. That is something I can certainly understand.

Archived