Vonage app for iPhone

So I am trying to figure a cheap way to call the U.S. to talk to our daughter who is staying behind. I have looked at the AT&T international plan, but the calls are still $1.69+ per minute. I saw the Vonage app, and thought I could buy the 60 minutes of wifi for $35 on the ship, and then use Vonage to call home. Anyone tried this? I figure I am missing something, but $35 for wifi, and $24.99 for Vonage would still be cheaper than paying for international calls right?

So I am trying to figure a cheap way to call the U.S. to talk to our daughter who is staying behind. I have looked at the AT&T international plan, but the calls are still $1.69+ per minute. I saw the Vonage app, and thought I could buy the 60 minutes of wifi for $35 on the ship, and the use Vonage to call home. Anyone tried this? I figure I am missing something, but $35 for wifi, and $24.99 for Vonage would still be cheaper than paying for international calls right?

I don't know if it would work. They disable Skype because of bandwidth issues, so I don't know if they'd do the same with Vonage.

Given the amount of bandwidth one can get by using the ship's WiFi and the incredible latency, it's highly unlikely that a VoIP application would work successfully or satisfactorily.

When we sailed on the Liberty of the Seas three years ago, the Internet service was very sluggish. Perhaps it's improved since then, but I wouldn't expect it to perform well enough to provide the ~30-50 Kbps stream necessary for Vonage.

Archived