Guide or no guide?

tyfh

My wife and I will be boarding the Pride in Shanghai on 7/29. We are arriving on 7/28 at the Pudong International Airport. We are hoping to take the magnetic train into Shanghai. We are staying at The Radisson New World in the city. (88 Nanjing Road) ... would someone be so kind as to tell me how best this will be done ... getting to the train at the airport ... and getting from the train to the Radisson. Also ... on 7/29, getting from the Radisson to the pier.

I have been looking at the guide services that are offered ... anywhere from $77.00 t0 $150.00 per person to have someone meet and escourt you to your hotel. Anyone think this is a good idea? THANKS! Phil.

Shanghai is a very English friendly city. I travel there on business and all transportation signs are in English. I usually take a cab from the airport to the hotel when I arrive because frankly I don't feel that well after 16 hours on a plane. The cabs are very, very inexpensive in Shanghai. Then you can take the maglev train on the way back to the airport? Always just carry the name of your hotel with you written in Chinese. Also, you can obtain a card from the concierge at the hotels with all the main places around town written in both English and Chinese. I have found this helpful to point to places I want to go.

The only problem I have ever had in Shanghai was getting back from dinner at one of my co-workers homes way out on the outskirts of Shanghai and once when I was at the Gardens in the Puxi and no one wanted to take me back through the tunnel during rush hour with meter. So, I took the people mover under the river back to Pudong.

I don't think a guide is worth it to just go from the airport to your hotel. Save it for a great night on the town, a side trip or shopping. Some great shopping in Shanghai. If you can't find the Maglev train station, then just reroute to take a cab.

Be aware that your hotel is on the Puxi side and the Maglev train will deposit you on the Pudong side. It is quite a long taxi ride. Unless you're dead set on riding the train I'd just take a taxi straight from the airport.

Be aware that your hotel is on the Puxi side and the Maglev train will deposit you on the Pudong side. It is quite a long taxi ride. Unless you're dead set on riding the train I'd just take a taxi straight from the airport.

I feel like if we are there we need to ride the train ... so you would suggest that we do so on one of the 2 days we are there? Like, can you take the train out to the airport and then back for one fare?

My wife and I will be boarding the Pride in Shanghai on 7/29. We are arriving on 7/28 at the Pudong International Airport. We are hoping to take the magnetic train into Shanghai. We are staying at The Radisson New World in the city. (88 Nanjing Road) ... would someone be so kind as to tell me how best this will be done ... getting to the train at the airport ... and getting from the train to the Radisson. Also ... on 7/29, getting from the Radisson to the pier.

I have been looking at the guide services that are offered ... anywhere from $77.00 t0 $150.00 per person to have someone meet and escourt you to your hotel. Anyone think this is a good idea? THANKS! Phil.

We just did this in reverse order. The Maglev station is between the two terminals in Pudong. If you can manage your own luggage, I would recommend it--not just because it is fun, but it saves a lot of time in traffic. 40 yaun ($6) pp with your airline ticket. We arranged a van from Radisson to Maglev, but since you are going the other direction, a taxi might be easier. It's 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

We just did this in reverse order. The Maglev station is between the two terminals in Pudong. If you can manage your own luggage, I would recommend it--not just because it is fun, but it saves a lot of time in traffic. 40 yaun ($6) pp with your airline ticket. We arranged a van from Radisson to Maglev, but since you are going the other direction, a taxi might be easier. It's 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

... to take a cab from the airport to The Radisson and then to try and do "a train trip" just to ride the train on either the first or the second day we are in Shanghai. I feel like we have to experience the Expo ... just so that I can say that we went ... It will be my 4th World's Fair!

Did you stay in Osaka or Kyoto ... and where?

If you are adept at handling your luggage take the train. It goes fast but I have to tell you I felt no real difference from any high speed train. Still, if you want to cross it off your list by all means do so.

... to take a cab from the airport to The Radisson and then to try and do "a train trip" just to ride the train on either the first or the second day we are in Shanghai. I feel like we have to experience the Expo ... just so that I can say that we went ... It will be my 4th World's Fair!

Did you stay in Osaka or Kyoto ... and where?

It's all in the review that is now posted.

If you really want to ride the train, do it when it makes sense and save time gettting from the airport. You will have too many other things you want to do to take time to go the the Maglev station and ride the train later. This was our third high speed train on the trip, but at 250 mph, it was the best (and quickest).

I agree. I had been wanting to go to another World's Fair since the 1964 World's Fair in NYC. Since this is the biggest in the history of the World's Fair, I was thrilled to do even a part of it. We'd like to go back before it closes.

ANA Crowne Plaza Osaka. We liked it.

Archived