Who will be the first to posts this surprise...

Mr. Luckytoo

I wonder how many cruises it will take before someone posts an amusing story like this:

I was in my cabin, using the toilet when...

A. in walked the cabin steward

B. in walked my spouse

C. in walked the kids

D. in walked my mother-in-law

E. in walked the butler with some flowers :eek:

I'm betting we'll read a story like this within the next 30 days.

I wonder how many cruises it will take before someone posts an amusing story like this:

I was in my cabin, using the toilet when...

A. in walked the cabin steward

B. in walked my spouse

C. in walked the kids

D. in walked my mother-in-law

E. in walked the butler with some flowers :eek:

I'm betting we'll read a story like this within the next 30 days.

I'm sure I'll be able to report B and C, and if I report A I'll also report an extra $20 tip to help with his therapy bill.

Before I leave for my cruise on the Epic I am going to make up an 8x10 sign:

BATHROOM

IN

USE!

Please come back at a later time!

and use a CC magnet to stick it to my door! That I hope would deter cabin steward and family from coming in but I'm afraid would invite some to knock on their way by!

Before I leave for my cruise on the Epic I am going to make up an 8x10 sign:

BATHROOM

IN

USE!

Please come back at a later time!

and use a CC magnet to stick it to my door! That I hope would deter cabin steward and family from coming in but I'm afraid would invite some to knock on their way by!

well, wouldn't that be a little too much info? How about just "Privacy Please" or similar? :)

well, wouldn't that be a little too much info? How about just "Privacy Please" or similar? :)

They should put a sign outside of everyone's door that you could change from "Welcome" to "Do Not Disturb" to "Make Up Room" to "Turn Down Room" or something like that....

They should also install a deadbolt. That way you could lock the door and prevent people from just opening it and walking right in.

I also think there should be a way to choose traveling companions who aren't going to stand outside the shower/toilet compartments and watch while you are inside using them...I mean, isn't that just a little creepy?

Too bad nobody thought of any of these ideas before.... :rolleyes:

Dumb question, I take it the doors dont have a chain or something like doors in hotel rooms have? So that even if you unlock the door with a key it only opens a few inches?

Edit: Just read post above me :) Great minds think alike

What WOULD be useful is an interior way to control the DND sign outside....so that if you're in a towel about to step into the shower, you don't have to open the door to the hallway to change the sign....I wonder if there's a way to retrofit..... OR an electric switch near the door like the nicer hotels have, changes to a small red light in the corridor.

What WOULD be useful is an interior way to control the DND sign outside....so that if you're in a towel about to step into the shower, you don't have to open the door to the hallway to change the sign....I wonder if there's a way to retrofit..... OR an electric switch near the door like the nicer hotels have, changes to a small red light in the corridor.

You can only change the sign from the outside?

What's to stop some kid from going down the hallway changing all the signs to "Please make up room" or something that indicates its ok for the steward to enter?

You can only change the sign from the outside?

What's to stop some kid from going down the hallway changing all the signs to "Please make up room" or something that indicates its ok for the steward to enter?

Nothing, just like every other ship. Rare but it does happen as well as your breakfast room service request being taken or changed.

I would just lock the door. I'm sure family members would figure out that your taking care of private matters.

OK, I'll be the first. There is a lock on the inside of the cabin door, but it doesn't prevent your family from using their card and entering. So there were a few times when I was toweling off and getting out of the shower or someone was changing in that area or yes, even using the bathroom when someone tried to enter the room and had to be halted to wait outside while we finished dressing etc. There were 4 of us in a small cabin, so it was very busy.

A dead bolt would have been nice.

OK, I'll be the first. There is a lock on the inside of the cabin door, but it doesn't prevent your family from using their card and entering. So there were a few times when I was toweling off and getting out of the shower or someone was changing in that area or yes, even using the bathroom when someone tried to enter the room and had to be halted to wait outside while we finished dressing etc. There were 4 of us in a small cabin, so it was very busy.

How about a simple rubber doorstop. Would that work?

Mine will go something like this: "The outside wheel displayed "please make up stateroom." I patiently sat on the loo although I did not need it. Flip camera ready, I heard a click click. My steward entered. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I screamed. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! he screamed back. I fell off the loo laughing so hard. I felt bad for scaring him. He got an extra tip at the end of the week. I caught every moment. Check it out here...

coka

Mine will go something like this: "The outside wheel displayed "please make up stateroom." I patiently sat on the loo although I did not need it. Flip camera ready, I heard a click click. My steward entered. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I screamed. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! he screamed back. I fell off the loo laughing so hard. I felt bad for scaring him. He got an extra tip at the end of the week. I caught every moment. Check it out here...

coka

Coka i just love your posts. You make me laugh out loud :D

Really? I cruised so many times & never knew the key card could open both locks. Sort of wondering then, what's the purpose of the extra lock? If the door's shut, doesn't it automatically lock?

Really? I cruised so many times & never knew the key card could open both locks. Sort of wondering then, what's the purpose of the extra lock? If the door's shut, doesn't it automatically lock?

Does the extra lock prevent the Room Steward from using his/her key to enter? Or does the extra lock just give passengers a false sense of security? Note: this isn't a slam against NCL, because I was able to use my room key on a HAL cruise a few years ago to enter the cabin after my roommate had used the second lock. We were both surprised because we both assumed that the second lock prevented room key access.

I like the idea that there is a dial that can be used rather than the usual card hanging on the door, since on a couple of cruises my do not disturb card seemed to grow legs and vanished. However, I can easily see some kids or older passengers with one or ten too many adult beverages :p changing the dial as a practical joke. Kind of like adding stuff to someone's breakfast card hanging on the door.

I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve for both passengers and Room Stewards as they get used to the new layout. Perhaps Room Stewards shouldn't be so quick to just knock and enter and maybe slowly open the door so that if a passenger isn't dressed/ready for company has a chance to coverup/go behind the curtain or let the Steward know that now isn't a good time. And passengers who aren't used to using the extra lock (assuming it will keep a Steward out) and changing the dial will realize that might be a good practice...unless of course their Room Steward is cute ;) :D

There is such a simple fix I cannot believe they have not done this yet.

Just make the curtains curve by the bathroom and another curve by the toilet. Tres simple. (french for very simple)

Not an expensive fix either. Just remove the single track in there and bend it. Would work like a charm.

By the way for all the prudish folks, you may want to avoid the top deck. It is the real "Freestyle" area :)

Archived