Kenai Fjords Boat tour(seward)/Captain Larrys/Junea

mandrews2u

Has anyone done both of these tours? We already booked Kenai Fjords all day tour with Major Marine, and I had been going to book Captain Larrys in Junea, but is it repetitive, does anyone know if it's kinda repetative to do both, Would my money be better spend on something else in Junea? I may do the Glacier landing in Juneau or Skagway, not sure yet. Help!!!

It MIGHT be a bit repetitive, but that depends entirely on how lucky you are in Kenai Fjords. The Kenai trip is on a route ... rather than a whale watch that aims at tracking down the whales. The route is designed to give you a small boat experience at a glacier (great viewing, plus the proximity increases your odds of seeing otters and seals than glacier viewing from a cruise ship), and then to take you to locations to see sea lions and puffins and other birds. Along the way, they will divert to see whales as they learn of them, but they still have a schedule to see other required wildlife. While in Alaska, I was hearing pretty good statistics on sightings from residents and tourists. We were incredibly lucky in KF and came across 4-5 humpbacks (1 breached) over the trip and a superpod of orcas (15+) with lots of action and 1 breach. But, I think BQ says that her track record on whales has been 50% in KF? Capt. Larry is virtually a sure thing as is his commentary from what I hear. So, how much do you have your heart set on whales and do you like to gamble?

We ended up not doing whalewatching in Juneau despite really wanting to. The problem was that there were just too many great options in Juneau and we have been whalewatching before and continue to go whalewatching now ... figured we would do something more uniquely alaskan in Juneau. We went to KF less for the whales and more for the glacier and puffins and just got insanely lucky as a result. This was the right sacrifice for us and then we benefited from the gamble so we were happy all around.

The above info is pretty good. We have done both tours on two separate trips. They are different. We saw several whales and Orcas on our first trip to Seward with Kenai Fjords Tours in late May. This last Sept, we saw no whales at all on the 6hr trip. We had pretty rough seas, saw the glacier, sea otters, puffins flying but not on cliffs, eagles, other marine birds, sea lions or harbor seals. They serve a nice lunch and are very well run crew with knowledgable capt.

With Cap Larry, we have seen humpbacks both times but no orcas in June and Sep. We had rain with Cap Larry on the last trip and it was very wet and grey, with pictures looking the same way. But we saw whales fairly close to boat, also porpoising sea lions, eagles. On our Sep trip we also went whalewatching in ISP and it was our best viewing yet, with great weather, tons of whales and behaviors.

We did both last summer and found them to be very different experiences, even if we saw a few of the same animals on both. But Capt. Larry's emphasis is realy the whales, and we saw a much greater variety of wildlife on the Kenai Fjords Tour. Also, the scenery is very different. If you can afford both, I would do them - can't really say one was better or a substitutel

The Kenai Fjords Tour was spectacular. We saw whales, porpoises, puffins, and even a bear on the shore. It was quite an adventure, constantly looking at something.

The whale watching trip was focused on finding whale and following them. Distinctly different. If I had to make a choice, I would take the Kenai Fjords trip and do a helicopter in Juneau. Of course, we couldn't decide so we saved our money and did it all.

I would check Major Marine's route. As I remember, their boats are bigger and go half the distance of the Kenai Fjords boats so you don't go as far and thus might not see as much.

Definately distinctly different. You get a much more close up glacier view compared to your ship too on the Kenai fjords boat trips. This is one tour I ALWAYS highly recommend to anyone in Seward- it's just a don't miss. As mentioned- Juneau is 100% humpback viewing. Close up and extended, orcas only come in on average every 5-10 days. If those are your priorities then look at orca watches out of Victoria BC or Friday Harbor Wa. Of my MANY Kenai Fjords boat trips- my whale sighings have run about 50%.

Thanks everyone, we are not deffinately sete seeing whales so I guess we will take our chances that we MIGHT see one or two on the full day tour with Major Marine, and take the money we would have spent on the Juneau whale watching and instead of just doing the Glacier Heli tour do the more costly combo of Glacier and dogsledding.We do not really have enough time in Skagway to do everything we want so is the Glacier landing/dogsledding out of Juneau just as good? I guess they et cancelled more which is why we hadn't booked it yet and was thinking of Skagway for Glacier landing instead.

If of interest- a good use of time is the combo booked helicopter tours with Coastal and Orca Enterprises. Your touring plans sound great. Do what is your interest. With 2 helicopter tours- probability is at least one will run, so you have certainly hedged your bets. :) No guarantees on Alaska weather- so go with what scheduling fits your desires best. :)

• 3 months later...

I need to make a decision on which company to do the Kenai Fjords boat trip with and make reservations in the next day or two. We would like to go on May 19th, be picked up at the train depot and have them keep our luggage while we are on the tour. BQ, which tour company would you suggest? Thanks!

I need to make a decision on which company to do the Kenai Fjords boat trip with and make reservations in the next day or two. We would like to go on May 19th, be picked up at the train depot and have them keep our luggage while we are on the tour. BQ, which tour company would you suggest? Thanks!

BQ will say Kenai Fjords Tours....I say Major Marine. Both go to same places,see similiar things.I prefer Major Marine because of the reserved seating,all u can eat prime rib/salmon, kid's program and it's the ONLY one that has an actual park ranger in uniform on board.

Archived