Balconies on Indy - plexiglass or railings?

Morning all,

I thought I'd asked all my stupid questions prior to my cruise on Freedom, but it seems not. :o Just wondering whether the balconies on Indy (we have a D1 on deck 9) have glass/plexiglass or railings?

Not that I'm going to change my booking but if it's railings I have visions of my DD's favourite book taking a dive! :eek: :D

Thanks!

Haven´t been on IoS, but the Freedom class ships are pretty much the same in this aspect, so it should be glass.

As you asked this question I thought about it and have to say I´ve never seen a balcony with just railings. It´s beein either solid steel, combination of solid steel with glass on top, or glass.

ETA: That´s for side balconies, I´m not sure if I have seen aft. balconies having railings.

Haven´t been on IoS, but the Freedom class ships are pretty much the same in this aspect, so it should be glass.

As you asked this question I thought about it and have to say I´ve never seen a balcony with just railings. It´s beein either solid steel, combination of solid steel with glass on top, or glass.

ETA: That´s for side balconies, I´m not sure if I have seen aft. balconies having railings.

Thanks madforcruising! I don't know why, but I'm sure way back when (so over a year ago, at least!) someone posted a picture of Freedom, docked alongside another ship which *may* have been Indy - Freedom had the plexiglass balconies and I'm sure the other RCI ship had railings.

That said, this could have been a dream/hallucination/something dredged up by the amount of painkillers and other meds I take - hence my question! :D

Thanks madforcruising! I don't know why, but I'm sure way back when (so over a year ago, at least!) someone posted a picture of Freedom, docked alongside another ship which *may* have been Indy - Freedom had the plexiglass balconies and I'm sure the other RCI ship had railings.

That said, this could have been a dream/hallucination/something dredged up by the amount of painkillers and other meds I take - hence my question! :D

Hi Spanner

We are off on the IOS in less than a month, Deck 7 balcony. I think they are see through, some sort of glass construction but I will check it out & let you know!:)

Hi Spanner

We are off on the IOS in less than a month, Deck 7 balcony. I think they are see through, some sort of glass construction but I will check it out & let you know!:)

That would be great! Thank you! :)

All side balconies on Freedom class ships are plexiglass balconies, the AFT balconies (only the ones at the VERY back of the ship) have the metal railings. And no, its not a stupid question ;). I take pictures of the balconies just to assure the parents on the family boards how high the railings are.

This is the balcony on the side of the ship....so this is what your balcony would look like. This was a GS, so a D1 would be a little smaller, but you get the point ;)

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

This is the balcony on the back (AFT) of the ship

080.jpg

084.jpg

• 1 month later...
That would be great! Thank you! :)

Hi Spanner as promised a view of a D1 balcony, yes plexi glass & a decent size. They had 2 small chairs & a small table, the steward brought us up a another chair & there was room for more really. Have a great trip.

PICT2300.jpg.3eb06eda7859c0039998469c32de8cdb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This has really set my mind at ease as I'm travelling with a 2 year-old next month and had visions of her climbing up/squeezing between railings. Now I only have to worry about her getting up on a chair :eek:.

On some of the pics I've seen it looks as though theres a sliding door between the balconies. I'm staying in a room next to my parents and wondered if it is possible to open the door between the balconies? Does anyone know? The rooms are only next to eachother, not interconnecting.

Thanks in anticipation :)

This has really set my mind at ease as I'm travelling with a 2 year-old next month and had visions of her climbing up/squeezing between railings. Now I only have to worry about her getting up on a chair :eek:.

On some of the pics I've seen it looks as though theres a sliding door between the balconies. I'm staying in a room next to my parents and wondered if it is possible to open the door between the balconies? Does anyone know? The rooms are only next to eachother, not interconnecting.

Yes your steward will open the divider for you

Yes your steward will open the divider for you

That is not a guaranteed, sure thing. Some Captains allow the balcony dividers to be opened, and some do not.

You will have to wait until you get on board and ask your steward and get your answer then.

Archived