car rental Anchorage & drop off at Whittier - not what I thought!!

santamaria

I thought I was all set with this - but... Since we only have 4 nights pre-cruise I was going to get mini van in Anchorage and drive to Talkeetna for 2 nights (we are going before Denali tours start (so sorry, but no choice), then long day drive and 2 nights Seward, return car in Whittier. When I reserved auto, Avis told me $44.95 drop off. I thought too good to be true, and it was. Checked email confirm. today, and drop off is really $500.00!! They just change the daily rate. based on 5 nights Anchorage-Anchorage $413.12, but Anchorage-Whittier $950.18!! So I cancelled car for now. If we can do 5 nights, would drive to Talkeetna 2 nights, return car in Anchorage and stay one night, get train to Seward for 2 nights. If this sounds reasonable so far, can you suggest how we would get from Seward to Whittier for cruise. Any private van service? I know this all sounds very jumbled, and that's just how I feel now. Thanks again.

santamaria-

I would check again because that doesn't sound right. We rented a one-way last summer and it was about $500 for four days. A little higher than normal, but for the convenience was worth it to us. I just checked Avis website and found the same prices that I found last year. Try again and maybe it was a mistake.

They are renting a VAN. So definately will be steep. With your short time, I would definately consider the Seward- Whittier taxi option listed. A much better use of time.

Did you need a van because of the number of people??? If not look at a car rental? Forget about bringing boatloads of luggage, don't overpack. It will be $59pp one way Anchorage- Seward via rail, so factor out the price difference.

They are renting a VAN. So definately will be steep. With your short time, I would definately consider the Seward- Whittier taxi option listed. A much better use of time.

Did you need a van because of the number of people??? If not look at a car rental? Forget about bringing boatloads of luggage, don't overpack. It will be $59pp one way Anchorage- Seward via rail, so factor out the price difference.

Hi-

I'm new to this message board thing...hope I'm doing this right. Will be cruising Vancouver to Seward May 20 on Celebrity Summit, then flying to Seattle from Anchorage the day we get off the boat. You seem to know about the Seward-Anchorage trip...do you know the best way to do this? We thought about the train, but don't know when, if we get off the boat at 8am, we would get to Anchorage in order to make our flight (which we haven't booked yet b/c we don't know how long the trip to Anchorage from Seward is). Would be better off renting a car in Seward? Do you know how long the drive is?

Thank you in advance for any advice...

Sherin

Hi-

I'm new to this message board thing...hope I'm doing this right. Will be cruising Vancouver to Seward May 20 on Celebrity Summit, then flying to Seattle from Anchorage the day we get off the boat. You seem to know about the Seward-Anchorage trip...do you know the best way to do this? We thought about the train, but don't know when, if we get off the boat at 8am, we would get to Anchorage in order to make our flight (which we haven't booked yet b/c we don't know how long the trip to Anchorage from Seward is). Would be better off renting a car in Seward? Do you know how long the drive is?

Thank you in advance for any advice...

Sherin

Frankly you would be "better off" staying several days. You are missing an excellent opportunity for outstanding touring. A one way rental will run $200/day, and your best option if you have to get back to Anchorage- allow 3 hours. There is only one train of the Alaska RR leaving at 6pm. The cruiseline also will most likely have a morning ship contracted train- 4 hours, and plenty of buses making the run- my last choice. Anchorage airport really requires a 2 hour window, very congested and slow moving lines. :)

I have a similar dilemma, but we are going SB on 5/21 on Coral Princess.

Budget Queen suggested the taxi from Seward to Whittier, and I have checked on it. The cost for a van is $200 + tunnel fee of $12, and it will hold 7 people. So if you have a large group, you will be OK at a reasonable price pp. Renee at pjs taxi did say that you could share with other groups -- and I think that we will sgn up for the transfer on 5/21 with them and hope others also want to join us and help with the cost. Let me know if any of you want to go.

• 1 month later...

GloriaF-

My wife and I will be cruising with you on the Coral Southbound 5/21. We also plan to go to Seward as well. We arrive in Anchorage on 5/18 and plan to head to Seward on the morning of the 19th. Our current plans have us renting a car from Avis and returning to Anchorage on the 20th because we have to catch the train to Whittier on the 21st at 10 AM. We would be open to sharing a van with you directly to Whitter if that is still a possibility.

We are in the same boat as the original poster. We are renting a car for for one week in Anchorage and wanted to drop in Whittier for our May 14, Island Princess cruise. The charge for the one week rental, thru AVIS, without the drop in Whittier was less than $290 inc taxes for a full size car. With the drop the price was over $700. Since there are four of us we are renting a minivan for the drive to Whittier. Additional cost for the six hour rental is almost as much as the full weeks rental, but it still beats standing around waiting for Princess busses.

We are in the same boat as the original poster. We are renting a car for for one week in Anchorage and wanted to drop in Whittier for our May 14, Island Princess cruise. The charge for the one week rental, thru AVIS, without the drop in Whittier was less than $290 inc taxes for a full size car. With the drop the price was over $700. Since there are four of us we are renting a minivan for the drive to Whittier. Additional cost for the six hour rental is almost as much as the full weeks rental, but it still beats standing around waiting for Princess busses.

Why don't you also see what the cost difference is for just a one day Avis one way car? Then get a cheap round trip Anchorage car for the rest of your touring, with priceline you may get significant savings. Also look at Thrifty, Dollar, Payless, Alamo all at Anchorage airport. I do this all the time with a Seward rental. I rent a one way for only as long as I need it, then use a cheap round trip Anchorage for the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have ideas how to get from ANC to Whittier without paying the $55 Princess transfer price?? My girlfriend & I will be onthe Sun Princes 5/23 out of Vancouver. Our husbands will be joining us in Whittier for the next 7 days. I need suggestions..Help Maryellen dw64@aol.com Thanks

in addition to train there is a company called magic bus which offers one bus service a day (also picking up at girdwood) for around $40 - you will have to search for details. I myself have hired a car from avis with a drop off fee of $100 which I didnt consider too bad. There is also another company based in whittier which does one way rates but only for americans - I found it via the whittier town site.

We rented a AVIS car for the one way..we pick it up on 5-29, we will drive it to Whittier on 5-30, drop off is 178.00 TOTAL

75 a day and a drop off of 100.00, I am looking right at te confirmation, with the 4 of us, that is less then the Princess transfer of 55 a person, and we get to have the car from the 29th, plan to pick it up at about 4pm....till we drop off the next day

907 472 2277 AVIs

907 243 2377 Airport Avis

We do have a confirmationnumber also.

Archived