What beach in Cozumel?

ShanB42

It's a $10 taxi ride each way and a $10 fee/pp to get in (I think) but it includes banana chairs and preset frond umbrellas. There are also changing areas, showers, lockers ($1-$2), a few shopping kiosks, swim-with-the dolphins (extra $), walrus show (extra $), restaurants, drink vendors, mask/fin rental, beautiful snorkeling areas and a swim-to platform. We've been twice and had very enjoyable days there. The trick was to get there around 10am - it gets more crowded after that.

I went to Mr Sancho's a couple of years back. I would definitely recommend it. It had a very nice sandy beach, a freshwater pool, bathrooms, a restaurant, and a bar. You could also rent floats, waverunners, etc... It's not very far from the cruise terminal, but far enough that it's not crowded.

It's a $10 taxi ride each way and a $10 fee/pp to get in (I think) but it includes banana chairs and preset frond umbrellas. There are also changing areas, showers, lockers ($1-$2), a few shopping kiosks, swim-with-the dolphins (extra $), walrus show (extra $), restaurants, drink vendors, mask/fin rental, beautiful snorkeling areas and a swim-to platform. We've been twice and had very enjoyable days there. The trick was to get there around 10am - it gets more crowded after that.

It's now $12 entry fee for adults....but well worth it. I've been twice, and the snorkeling is great. I have my own gear, but there are several dive shops, and rental is cheap.

I didn't find Chankanaab crowded either time I was there, as there are SO many palapas and lounge chairs.

You can watch the dolphins perform from a wooden walkway, without paying the fee to participate. The sealion and bird show, I didn't go to, but hear it was entertaining.

There's also a beautiful botanical garden with replicated Mayan ruins. The lagoon is very pretty, and the snorkeling area beach is huge. Plenty of palapas and loungers at either area.

The al fresco restaurant is very nice, with strolling mariachis, and the food is very reasonable and plentiful. Waiters will serve drinks on the beach, and they aren't pushy at all.

I love Chank!

We were in Cozomel last week and didn't find Chakanaub up to the great reviews. The snorkeling looked great, but the beach wasn't. Very rocky, so not good for regular swimmers. The banana chairs were full of standing water with green sludge at the bottom. After sitting down, we were immediately bombarded by flys. Needless to say, we didn't last long. The grounds were beautiful to walk through, just not a great beach IMHO. Entry was $12 / adult

We went to Paradise beach after leaving, and found clean, comfortable chairs right on the water with an Umbrella and table between each 2 chairs. Great, personable wait staff who were happy to bring us beer, drinks and snacks all day long. Snorkeling wasn't great, but we did see a barracuda and some fish by the pier. Had 2 margauritas, 4 beers, nachos and buffalo wings - bill was under $40.00. No charge to enter the beach unless you wanted to use the water toys, then it was $5.00.

On our last trip to Cozumel, DW and I tried Passion Island. It is a remote strip of land separated from Isla Cozumel and is just north of the island. It must be booked through the cruise lines and only cruise folks are invited. It may seem a little pricey but all of the food and drink is included. We had a great time and would do it again.

Dave

My family and I enjoyed Mr. Sancho's beach. No entrance fee, lockers and restrooms available, good food, and a great beach. They also have water trampolines and you can rent jet skis, wave runners, etc. We would definitely return.

We tried this beach on one trip - this hotel is very close to one of the piers. As you walk through the hotel, you pay $5 each (2 years ago) for use of the facilities. They have a nice beach out back with a large hot (well, warm) tub, pool, beach chairs and a snorkeling area. You can rent mask/fins for $5/pp but have the correct change - the guy working there claimed to have no change. The interesting part of their beach is that there's a sunken airplane (sunk for a James Bond movie) about 30 yards out and about 40 feet down. You can't really get to it snorkelling, but I'm sure you could reach it with scuba equipment. I think that's what we're going to do this trip.

We were in Cozomel last week and didn't find Chakanaub up to the great reviews. The snorkeling looked great, but the beach wasn't. Very rocky, so not good for regular swimmers. The banana chairs were full of standing water with green sludge at the bottom. After sitting down, we were immediately bombarded by flys. Needless to say, we didn't last long. The grounds were beautiful to walk through, just not a great beach IMHO. Entry was $12 / adult

Ewww. Sorry to hear that about Chankanaab. Must've been a really off day when nobody tended to their cleanup chores! Both times I've been have been just about perfect in every way.....as with a lot of other posters. But ... glad you enjoyed PB.:)

Archived