tender ports

ActiveTraveler

While reading about the Italian cruise ports (including Sicily), I noticed some are called tender ports. Does this mean no ships, regardless of their size, can dock at the pier, or is it a place where small ships dock and big ships tender because of their size? I know Sorrento, Naples, Taormina, and at least one other Italian port tender.

While reading about the Italian cruise ports (including Sicily), I noticed some are called tender ports. Does this mean no ships, regardless of their size, can dock at the pier, or is it a place where small ships dock and big ships tender because of their size? I know Sorrento, Naples, Taormina, and at least one other Italian port tender.

It just depends, some ports require a tender because no ships can dock and some may have limited spacing so they may tender. Sometimes you'll see big ships docked and small ships tendering at the same port. I've docked in Naples a few times and I know Taormina itself can't accommodated any ships, unless they mean Messina port which i'm not quite sure of since I only go to Taormina on land trips (my photo is from there :) ). Hope that helps.

i've docked in naples in very large ships and there were others docked there too. some of the best ports in the med are tender ports so you would limit yourself if you take that off as a requirement, even if you have some sort of walking issues they can usually accommodate you. tenders are able to get much closer to places. a lot of ports you dock at require transportation to the good spots. I would rather tender to sorrento than dock in naples unless you just want to go to pompeii.

You docked in Naples? How big was your ship?

Cruise Critic should be more specific about Naples. Just calling it a tender port caused me to scratch the city off my list of possible cruise stops.

i really recommend getting a book i think fodors or frommers mediterranean cruises and ports--you can read a lot about all of the ports and then when you form what places you are leaning towards you can find out more particulars on cruise critic.

I really recommend getting a book. I think Fodor's or Frommer's mediterranean cruises and ports - you can read a lot about all of the ports and then when you form what places you are leaning towards you can find out more particulars on Cruise Critic.

Ironically, Arthur Frommer hates cruising. Good thing he is not the author of the cruise-related books with his name.

Actually, I don't need a book right now because he has a website. :)

I am putting off book purchases because I want them to be published in 2012. A book's copyright date is very important to me because most vacation spots change every year and every time I read an old travel book, I get outdated information.

Naples is a massive dock -I can't imagine anyone has to tender here. Very handy for picking up local ferries.

It is indeed a massive dock but it is also a hugely popular one and even big ships may have to tender. When were there on Emerald Princess (not exactly a small ship!) September 2008, we were initially informed we would have to tender, then it was updated over the tannoy that the ship would be able to dock, but would have to move out to anchor in the bay mid-morning. So that's what happened, we all walked off the ship in the morning and had to tender back to it in the afternoon.

Cruise Critic should be more specific about Naples. Just calling it a tender port caused me to scratch the city off my list of possible cruise stops.

I'm not understanding something.... You'd cross Naples (or Santorini or Villefranche etc.) off your list because it's a tender port? You plan on dragging your luggage all over Italy on trains etc. but won't get on a little boat? BTW, we've always docked in Naples.

We docked in Naples last year on the Ruby Princess ... a large ship. Maybe you were thinking Sorrento where everything (including the little Pacific Princess that we were on last week) tenders.

I am putting off book purchases because I want them to be published in 2012. A book's copyright date is very important to me because most vacation spots change every year and every time I read an old travel book, I get outdated information.

Yeah, because the Colosseum location might change over the next year or so ... or the port of Naples will go from a huge, multifaceted industrial, cruise and commuter port to a small tender one in the meantime ... :rolleyes:

The nature of the publishing industry (the time between fact gathering and the book on shelf) makes a book an unreliable source for information about opening and closing hours, prices, etc., i.e., things that can easily be changed. On the other hand, books - even those several years old - are excellent sources for information on history, background, architecture, locations, the things that don't change.

We docked in Naples last year on the Ruby Princess ... a large ship. Maybe you were thinking Sorrento where everything (including the little Pacific Princess that we were on last week) tenders.

See my post above about tendering at Naples with Emerald Princess.

Like others here, though, I am slightly baffled by this thread. I can see disabled passengers might prefer to have as few tender ports as possible (though I've seen crew get passengers in wheelchairs on and off tenders quite slickly), but in theory at any rate any ship might be unable to dock at a given port on a particular day. I am surprised that anyone would discard a whole itinerary because they might have to tender at one port.

Like others here, though, I am slightly baffled by this thread.

If you have been following Andrea's rants, you will note that she wants EVERYTHING to be perfect for a cruise she is not taking until 2013. In the meantime, she is asking a million questions (which generally is a good thing) but, if she doesn't like the answers, she tends to say that the cruise line or cruise critic is "tricking" her or isn't clear etc.

Where did Cruise Critic call Naples a tender port?

Reading a guidebook now will avoid much of your confusion .. if you don't want to purchase books, try the library.

Sorrento is a tender port and not Naples :)

But as I said in my first post in this thread, we did have to tender at Naples on Emerald Princess. And as I said in my second post, you have to be prepared for the possibility that for some reason a ship might have to tender at any port.

But as I said in my first post in this thread, we did have to tender at Naples on Emerald Princess. And as I said in my second post, you have to be prepared for the possibility that for some reason a ship might have to tender at any port.

And, as others have said, "tendering" is no big deal. It's a little crowded when you're first cleared to go ashore, but if you're going out with a ship's excursion, you all leave together in an orderly manner. If you're going out on your own, just wait 30 minutes, with an extra cup of coffee, and then head down to the tenders after the tours are gone. You'll walk right on. And, unless you wait until the "last tender of the day" getting back to the ship is really easy and not crowded.

Cruise Critic doesn't makethe call on whether a port is dock or tender. This is up to the cruise line and how many ships may be in port. We docked in Naples on the Ruby last year.

Even if a cruiseline lists a port as docked, circumstances can change during the cruise...bad weather, overcrowded port, the captain can decide to tender instead (it happened to us) so, if you're going to cross off ports due to tendering, you need to understand that any port can become a tender port. BTW, docking can cause delays....on one port our gangway didn't fit the dock, hour & a half delay... stuff happens when you travel, you just have to go with it:)

Archived