Need help with email

Deac1966

I use AOL for my email. How do I read my mail off line in order to save valuable minutes of airtime? Can this be done with AOL? If so, can someone walk me through it. Many thanks in advance.

Traveling next Sunday on the Veendam.

Gary

I use AOL for my email. How do I read my mail off line in order to save valuable minutes of airtime? Can this be done with AOL? If so, can someone walk me through it. Many thanks in advance.

Gary

It can be done if you have a mail handler such as Windows Live Mail installed. I had a little trouble at first where I could download for reading but not send. It turns out I had to set the outgoing SMTP port number to 465 instead of the default 25.

If you have (or can install) WLM and need further advice, emailme. Or ask the Internet Manager or one of the instructors for the Digital Workshop classes once you get on board.

Gary

Hi Gary,

What you would like to do is quite possible.

You need to hunt around the headers on your aol screen after you have signed in. You will eventually find a question under AUTO AOL asking something like "Get unread email and put in incoming email tray". Make sure this option is checked. Then when you're on the net on the ship, click on AUTO AOL and all of your incoming email will be downloaded in a few minutes. You can then sign off and read your incoming tray at your leasure.

Scott & Karen

Can you be more specific about this please? Where?

Hi Gary,

Sorry to have taken so long to answer but I was tied up with other things.

I checked with AOL and it ends up the answer to your question depends on whether you are using a Mac or a PC and also which version of the AOL software you have installed.

I have a Mac and for me, the latest "AOL desktop version 1.5" will not of itself permit you to do what you want. The older version of the AOL software (which I use) will do it easily under the heading of AUTO AOL. The later software does not contain this feature. They have improved it out.

I think in the PC world there is probably a similar situation.

The best way to find out is to contact AOL either at http://help.aol.com or by phone at 800-827-6364. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Scott

Many thanks,

My netbook/notebook does not have AOL software installed - I used Internet Explorer to reach AOL. On the IE screen I can not find the Auto Mail area but will call AOL this AM and seek their help.

Many thanks,

My netbook/notebook does not have AOL software installed - I used Internet Explorer to reach AOL. On the IE screen I can not find the Auto Mail area but will call AOL this AM and seek their help.

Using any non-AOL browser, the only way I know to do it is with a handler like Windows Live Mail. If you install that I can send you the settings you'll need.

If you don't want to do that, you can at least save some connect time by using any general text editor to write emails off-line and copy/paste them when you connect.

I'm not sure that this will work with aol, but I use a gmail account, with "offline" and "fetch" settings on my netbook to bring in email from several accounts (home, office, side business) all into gmail, where I can then read and reply to all messages offline, then go online to send them. I can usually do each step (receive and send) using about 3 minutes of ship's expensive internet. Since I've never used aol, I'm not sure you can do this with gmail, but it's worth setting up a gmail account and seeing if you can make it work.

Archived