Independence OTS kicks off multiple families!!

Dear friends:

Have you ever noticed how Cruise Critic represents probably 5% of the reality of life on a cruise ship?

Isn't it interesting how everyone on Cruise Critic gives the proper tips, how everyone on Cruise Critic respects the dress code, how everyone on Cruise Critic does not smoke where it is prohibited, how everyone on Cruise Critic drinks responsibly, how everyone on Cruise Critic is not loud and disrespectful in the eyes of other guests, how everyone on Cruise Critic wears proper attire and footwear to the gym, how nobody on Cruise Critic would dare to reserve a sunbed and not occupy it, how nobody on Cruise Critic would dare place a bottle of alcohol in his or her suitcase, and how everybody on Cruise Critic controls their children.

Well, unfortunately, life on a Freedom or Voyager class cruise ship (3,000 plus passengers and 2,000 crew) is going to produce its own city and not everybody is going to act like that.

While I am all for RCCL disembarking a passenger who presents a health hazard to the ship (urinating) or breaks the law (attempted boarding with drugs) I also believe a fine line must be drawn when it comes to offloading a passenger for "disciplinary" reasons.

For example, on cruises that homeport from Barcelona in the summer, and where 70% of the passengers are Spaniards, I wonder if RCCL takes into consideration the fact that here in Spain, and whether or not one agrees with this position, since it is not my intent to pass judgement, it is perfectly acceptable for teenagers to stay out with their friends all night (that is, returning home at 8 or 9 in the morning on a weekend) as long as their parents are aware of their whereabouts and activities. (In fact, many of you travelers who have visited Madrid may have noticed that the discos don't open until 3 a.m. and don't get crowded until 5 a.m.), or that here in Spain an 18-year-old is a true adult (i.e. can drink and go to war, not just go to war as in the United States). Therefore, are you going to now tell an 18-year-old that he or she cannot be in the hall alone after 1 a.m. on a cruise where the local population is the majority?

I am interested in hearing how people on our side of the pond may feel about all of this.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I think you are incorrect Gunther....plenty of posters on this board smuggle alcohol..save lounges...wear whatever they feel like into the MDR..and let their kids roam the ships at all hours. There are plenty of posts on this board to prove those observations. So CC membership doesn't automatically mean "correct".:)

Med cruises are different and we have never had any kind of disturbances from kids roaming the ships at all hours as we have had on Caribbean cruises.

And despite where a cruise originates from RCI has the final word about any kind of curfews they may feel appropriate.

So, yes, Spaniards may be asked to be in their cabins at certain hours if RCI deems that curfew is necessary.

Dear friends:

Have you ever noticed how Cruise Critic represents probably 5% of the reality of life on a cruise ship?

Isn't it interesting how everyone on Cruise Critic gives the proper tips, how everyone on Cruise Critic respects the dress code, how everyone on Cruise Critic does not smoke where it is prohibited, how everyone on Cruise Critic drinks responsibly, how everyone on Cruise Critic is not loud and disrespectful in the eyes of other guests, how everyone on Cruise Critic wears proper attire and footwear to the gym, how nobody on Cruise Critic would dare to reserve a sunbed and not occupy it, how nobody on Cruise Critic would dare place a bottle of alcohol in his or her suitcase, and how everybody on Cruise Critic controls their children.

Well, unfortunately, life on a Freedom or Voyager class cruise ship (3,000 plus passengers and 2,000 crew) is going to produce its own city and not everybody is going to act like that.

While I am all for RCCL disembarking a passenger who presents a health hazard to the ship (urinating) or breaks the law (attempted boarding with drugs) I also believe a fine line must be drawn when it comes to offloading a passenger for "disciplinary" reasons.

For example, on cruises that homeport from Barcelona in the summer, and where 70% of the passengers are Spaniards, I wonder if RCCL takes into consideration the fact that here in Spain, and whether or not one agrees with this position, since it is not my intent to pass judgement, it is perfectly acceptable for teenagers to stay out with their friends all night (that is, returning home at 8 or 9 in the morning on a weekend) as long as their parents are aware of their whereabouts and activities. (In fact, many of you travelers who have visited Madrid may have noticed that the discos don't open until 3 a.m. and don't get crowded until 5 a.m.), or that here in Spain an 18-year-old is a true adult (i.e. can drink and go to war, not just go to war as in the United States). Therefore, are you going to now tell an 18-year-old that he or she cannot be in the hall alone after 1 a.m. on a cruise where the local population is the majority?

I am interested in hearing how people on our side of the pond may feel about all of this.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Appalled? :eek: :D Seriously, I do know there are cultural differences. However, I am thinking that 18 would be above the "teen" curfew rules on RCI in any case just as an 18 year old is not allowed in the teen center or teen activities. I would want RCI to tell a 17 year old or younger that they cannot be in the hall alone after 1AM where ever they are sailing...... :)

Dear friends:

I've never been on a Caribbean cruise with RCCL -- only the European cruises and the Enchantment once from South America.

I am curious as to how the Caribbean cruises are different in this respect from the European cruises -- especially because interestingly enough, the origin of this post is a cruise from England.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Therefore, are you going to now tell an 18-year-old that he or she cannot be in the hall alone after 1 a.m. on a cruise where the local population is the majority?

No, because the 1 am curfew applies to under-18. If parents of under-18s want them to be able to stay up all night they shouldn't book a cruise with a 1 am curfew. Over 18s have the same privileges as adults - well, unless they're sailing from the US in which case they can't drink. This is why my 18 year old will be sailing with us in the Med (where I can sign a waiver) but not from the US;)

Incidentally we had the misfortune to overlap for a couple of days in our hotel in Mexico this year with several hundred students from Barcelona and they did, indeed, party all night and return in the early morning - creating much noise, chanting, rudeness to staff and guests alike. This sort of behaviour isn't acceptable - whether it's from a 19 year old or a 40 year old and should not be explained away as part of the 'culture' of the country - it's just sheer bad manners and lack of consideration.

Dear friends:

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

GUEST CONDUCT POLICY

Throughout its history, Royal Caribbean International has provided its guests with a wide variety of cruise experiences that lead to exceptional vacations. Whether it’s our professional and friendly crew, our unmatched fleet of ships, our almost endless variety of activities, our extensive list of beautiful and exotic destinations and excursions, our exciting entertainment, or our wide variety of delicious food, you will find many reasons why your Royal Caribbean cruise vacation will be one of the best you have ever experienced.

You may also find that one of the most amazing parts of your cruise experience will be the many rich and varied cultures represented among our guests. This diversity offers a chance to learn about different parts of the world and to make new friends. But just as a new friend can enhance your vacation experience, some guests may behave in ways you find unusual or undesirable. Since our guests do come from different and diverse backgrounds, it is important that everyone have a common understanding of the behavioral standards in place on Royal Caribbean International ships.

This Guest Conduct Policy is intended to help ensure that all guests are able to participate in a safe and enjoyable cruise experience and sets forth standards of conduct for guests to follow throughout their Royal Caribbean cruise vacation, including transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at ports-of-call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. This policy is not intended to be all inclusive, and it is likely there will be conduct issues that it does not specifically address. In that event, as in all others, guests are expected to follow the direction of the ship’s Captain who will take appropriate action to ensure the safety, security and well-being of our guests. In addition to this policy, guests are expected to comply with applicable laws of the various countries that their cruise visits. Updates to the Guest Conduct Policy may be made between publications of this directory. Any updates to this Guest Conduct Policy are available for review on the Royal Caribbean International internet site.

Safety and Security

Safety and security are everyone’s responsibility. Should anyone become aware of unsafe or possibly illegal behavior during their cruise, they should immediately report this to the ship’s Security Staff or other ship management. This may be done through ship’s telephone or by seeking the assistance of a crew member.

Guest Conduct

Guest and Crew Interaction

Our crew members are friendly, outgoing and helpful, and they will do their very best to make your vacation as enjoyable as possible. Please do not misinterpret their friendliness. Crew members are prohibited from engaging in physical relationships with guests. Crew members are not permitted to socialize with guests beyond their professional duties, and are not permitted to be in guest staterooms, except for the performance of their shipboard duties. Guests are expected to respect these policies and are similarly prohibited from engaging in physical relationships with crew members. Guests are not permitted in any restricted or crew area of the ship, including crew staterooms and corridors.

Verbally Abusive or Offensive Language

Verbally abusive or offensive language directed toward anyone, to include guests, crew members, governmental officials, or others is not permitted.

Inappropriate or Abusive Behavior

Inappropriate or abusive behavior including uninvited physical contact, solicitation, harassment, vandalism, theft, violence, use of fake/false identification, underage drinking (see alcohol section below), providing alcohol to those under the allowed age (see alcohol section below), possession of illegal substances/items or any other illegal or offensive conduct is not permitted.

Unsafe Behavior

Sitting, standing, laying or climbing on, over or across any exterior or interior railings or other protective barriers, or tampering with ship’s equipment, facilities or systems designed for guest safety is not permitted. Guests may not enter or access any area that is restricted and for the use of crew members. Any other unsafe behavior, including failure to follow security instructions, is not permitted.

Discourteous or Disruptive Behavior

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except on selected itineraries, and then it will only be allowed in designated areas. (Contact Guest Services for Dress Code details.) Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s medical staff.

Smoking

For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, our ships are designated as non-smoking; however, we recognize that some of our guests smoke. Therefore, to provide an onboard environment that also satisfies smokers, we have designated certain public and private areas of the ship as “smoking areas.” Smoking in public areas is only permitted in designated smoking sections which vary by ship. Generally, smoking is permitted outdoors on only one side of the ship; and smoking is permitted on all private ocean front balconies, including Loft Suite balconies on Oasis Class. To assist in locating areas where smoking is permitted, you will find visible signage posted within all smoking areas and ashtrays that are provided for your use.

The location of all smoking venues can also be found in the daily Cruise Compass; or you may contact Guest Services once onboard. For your safety, smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom or on interior private balconies on Oasis Class that overlook The Boardwalk or Central Park. Smoking is not permitted in any dining venue, food outlet, theater, hallway or corridor; nor in Central Park, The Boardwalk or The Jogging Track on Oasis Class ships; nor in the H2O Zone on Oasis and Freedom Class ships. A $250 cleaning fee will be applied to the SeaPass account if smoking has occurred inside staterooms or on private interior balconies overlooking The Boardwalk or Central Park onboard Oasis Class ships. Royal Caribbean International kindly asks all guests to please observe the non-smoking areas and to refrain from smoking pipes or cigars in any of the public areas. These requests are made to provide a comfortable shipboard environment for everyone. Guests who violate this smoking policy may be subject to further action pursuant to the “Consequences Section” of this Guest Conduct Policy. Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted within the Cigar lounge. (If no Cigar lounge exists on a particular ship, there will be a designated area for pipe and cigar smoking). A guest must be at least 18 years of age to purchase, possess or use tobacco products onboard. Cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco must always be properly disposed of and never thrown overboard.

Curfews

Ship’s management reserves the right to enact curfews on an individual, group, or ship-wide basis, if in the sole judgment of the ship’s Captain, such steps become necessary to ensure guest or crew safety.

Disembarking from a Ship

Parents or guardians must not permit any guest in their care under age 18 from leaving a ship in any port without responsible adult supervision.

Parental and Guardian Responsibility

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A young adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19 or 20. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in the company of their minor(s) and young adult(s).

Alcohol

Royal Caribbean guests are expected to be responsible for their actions at all times, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. Consuming alcohol to excess impairs one’s judgment and reduces one’s ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations. Guests who choose to consume alcohol must do so responsibly. The ship’s staff may refuse to serve alcoholic beverages to any guest who does not consume alcohol responsibly. Ship’s personnel may request verification of a guest’s age to verify they are of age to consume alcohol pursuant to this policy. Any guest that violates this alcohol policy, will be considered for disciplinary action pursuant to the “Consequences Section” of this Guest Conduct Policy, and may lose their privileges to use the disco or other areas or facilities of the ship.

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic nor non-alcoholic beverages onboard and Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) at any time. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from onboard shops or in ports-of-call (which must be presented to security upon re-boarding), will be secured by ship’s personnel and delivered to the guest’s stateroom just prior to the conclusion of the cruise. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Royal Caribbean International ships is 21. In certain circumstances, where local laws permit or require, Royal Caribbean International may modify this policy to permit the minimum drinking age on a ship to be less than age 21, but never less than age 18. Pursuant to such a modification, Royal Caribbean may also require parent/guardian request/authorization.

A decision to modify policy and permit guests below the age of 21 to consume alcohol onboard during a sailing will be made by Royal Caribbean at the corporate level (and not by an individual ship). Such a decision will be communicated to the ship prior to guest embarkation. Guests may contact the Guest Services Desk or refer to the Cruise Compass for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

In certain situations, Royal Caribbean International may permit a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her 18 to 20 year old young adult son or daughter, (or other young adult under their legal supervision) to sign a waiver allowing the young adult to consume alcoholic beverages on board. In such situations, the authorizing parent or guardian and the young adult must agree to be responsible for ensuring the young adult will consume alcohol responsibly and otherwise comply with the Guest Conduct Policy, including among other things, not providing alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age.

On cruises embarking in a country where the legal drinking age is lower than 21 and where a young adult (age 18, 19 or 20) is not traveling with a parent or legal guardian, they will generally not be permitted to consume alcohol. There may be exceptions made to this restriction in areas of the world where local laws require and Royal Caribbean International concurs. Details on such exceptions can be obtained from the Guest Services Desk.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time, while onboard or at our private destinations. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Royal Caribbean International cruise.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding, or while on board; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

Drugs or Other Illegal Substances

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Royal Caribbean cruise vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions or at our private destinations. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken, which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Royal Caribbean ports of call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are permitted onboard. They will be taken by ship’s Security and appropriate action taken. Items such as dive knives must be reported to ship’s personnel at embarkation. They may be permitted onboard, but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore.

Health and Environment

Hand Washing

Guests are strongly encouraged to wash their hands with soap and hot water after using the restroom and before eating or handling food. Medical experts say this is one of the best ways to prevent illnesses from starting or spreading.

Illnesses and Isolation of Guests

Royal Caribbean International follows practices and maintains policies that seek to prevent illnesses from affecting our guests. One of the best ways to prevent the spread of contagious illnesses like gastrointestinal viruses, colds and flu is to wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and hot water after using the restroom and again before eating anything. In the event you experience symptoms that indicate a gastrointestinal illness, such as diarrhea or vomiting, or know of someone experiencing these symptoms, you must advise the medical staff immediately. In addition, some gastrointestinal illnesses remain contagious up to 72 hours or more after symptoms subside; therefore, if you or someone you know experienced such an illness just prior to your cruise, you must immediately notify the ship’s medical staff. This will permit the crew to take steps to reduce the chance that your

illness will spread to others on the ship. Failure to immediately report a contagious illness to the ship’s medical staff, or to accurately describe its onset, greatly increases the likelihood the illness will spread to others and is a violation of this Guest Conduct Policy. In the event of a contagious illness, the ship’s crew will take steps to curtail its spread to other guests, including if necessary, steps set forth in the Consequences Section below.

Royal Caribbean International’s Save the Waves Program and Trash/Waste Disposal

Royal Caribbean maintains a Save the Waves Program that focuses on three key principles: Reducing the creation or generation of waste materials; recycling as much as possible; and ensuring proper disposal of remaining waste. Trash should be properly disposed of in containers provided throughout the ship or in wastebaskets provided in each stateroom. Trash or other foreign objects should never be flushed down a toilet and guests are not permitted to discard any item overboard.

Age Policies

Facility & Age Requirement

Solarium * - Age 16 and over.*

Adventure Ocean & Teen Facilities Ages 3 through 17, with age-specific sections.

Theater Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or

adult guardian.

Pools** Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the

pools or whirlpools. Therefore, guests in diapers,

pull-ups or swimmers may not use the pools or

whirlpools, even if accompanied by a parent or

adult guardian. **

Whirlpools ** Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or

adult guardian. **

Ports-of-Call Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.

Bingo / Horse Racing Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.

Fitness Center (Gym)*** Age 16 and over. See below for exceptions for ages 13 to 15.

Day Spa Age 18 and over.

Ages 13 through 17 may only be present while participating in scheduled treatments.

Adult Night Club / Disco Age 18 and over. (See alcohol policy.)

Casino**** Age 18 and over (Except Alaska***)

Ice Skating Rink

(Voyager/Freedom/Oasis family of ships) Adults and Children of all ages

* During inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool (if covered) to be used by persons under age 16 provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

** United States Public Health Department (USPHD) Policy prohibits persons who are not toilet trained and those who use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools. On Freedom and Oasis class ships, the USPHD has approved the Baby Splash Zone for use by children in diapers, pull-ups or swimmers.

*** Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted to utilize the Fitness Center during certain times of the day; provided the young guest is accompanied and supervised at all times by their parent or guardian and provided a waiver of liability has been signed by the parent or guardian who is present in the fitness

center. See the Cruise Compass or contact Guest Services for the specific Fitness Center age restrictions on your cruise vacation.

**** For all Alaska itineraries, guests must be 21 years of age or older to gamble in the casino.

Dear friends:

I just phoned RCCL Madrid office. Their policy for cruises homeporting (i.e. roundtrip) Spain for people purchasing their cruise through RCCL Spain is to eliminate that vague category of people age 18, 19 and 20 and treat everybody 18 and above as a full-fledged adult because otherwise they would be in violation of Spanish laws. I say "vague" only from the standpoint of Spanish law because Spanish law does not distinguish this type of "young adult" as U.S. law appears to do.

Therefore, they just confirmed that if you purchase a cruise from RCCL Spain and that cruise starts and ends in Spain, an 18 year old does not need to be accompanied by an "adult" in order to board, and an 18 year old can drink without any of those waiver forms.

I now wonder how the actual ship controls who comes from where, or whether on roundtrip Spain cruises they just let everyone 18 and above drink no questions asked or waivers required.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Was on the Ocean Village last year never saw a problem and I thought we were going on something more upmarket this year :eek:

Now concerned' date=' but if security are there then kick them off straight away, just 12 days before depart :D[/quote']

I have sailed Ocean Village and saw no problems

I have sailed RCI several times and have seen no problems

You will live RCI but I guarantee you will always have a soft sport for Ocean Village when she dissapears in November/December.

If you need any advice or want to draw comparrisons between OV and RCI just ask.

Mike

Therefore, they just confirmed that if you purchase a cruise from RCCL Spain and that cruise starts and ends in Spain, an 18 year old does not need to be accompanied by an "adult" in order to board, and an 18 year old can drink without any of those waiver forms.

:eek: that is not good news if we witness the kind of behaviour we had in our hotel in Mexico as I mentioned in my post above. I have no problem with 18+ having a drink - it's the same in the UK - but I do have a problem with selfish young people who have no consideration for others. At least with parents onboard there may be an opportunity to appeal to an adult to instil a bit of order. I'm just hoping that cruising doesn't appeal to that age group, particularly since my next 2 cruises are out of Spain.

The bottom line is: it doesn't matter how old someone is, or what country they're from, or from where they embarked, etc. If a person cannot observe common courtesy and control themselves on a ship, on a plane, anywhere in public, they deserve whatever consequences result of that behavior.

If RCI doesn't tolerate drunken screaming in the hallways and urinating over the ship's rail, then good say I and I'll continue to cruise with them. The IoS captain absolutely did the right thing and I applaud his efforts to keep the ship safe, comfortable and enjoyable for the thousands of people that DO know how to behave properly.

Dear friends:

I just phoned RCCL Madrid office. Their policy for cruises homeporting (i.e. roundtrip) Spain for people purchasing their cruise through RCCL Spain is to eliminate that vague category of people age 18, 19 and 20 and treat everybody 18 and above as a full-fledged adult because otherwise they would be in violation of Spanish laws. I say "vague" only from the standpoint of Spanish law because Spanish law does not distinguish this type of "young adult" as U.S. law appears to do.

I now wonder how the actual ship controls who comes from where, or whether on roundtrip Spain cruises they just let everyone 18 and above drink no questions asked or waivers required.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks Gunther, that's interesting. I'm wondering what RCI do when Indy sails from Southampton then - do they abide by UK law and allow 18 year olds to drink? I hope not - I much prefer the US age restrictions!

Thanks Gunther, that's interesting. I'm wondering what RCI do when Indy sails from Southampton then - do they abide by UK law and allow 18 year olds to drink? I hope not - I much prefer the US age restrictions!

This is the alcohol policy stated on the RCI website:

ALCOHOL POLICY

con_bulletgray_ico.gifThe minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifHowever, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages. Please note: Waivers will be provided to parents upon check-in.

I'll be sailing from Spain on Sunday and will ask the question whilst I'm onboard and report back here if anyone is interested

We were on the Mariner of the Seas in March, shortly before 5 AM we were woken up by the Staff Captain, he said there was an "unfortunate incident" that a 16 year old was missing, Dillon was missing his mother was crying, and the WHOLE ship was now awake. The staff captain pleaded for Dillon to pick up a phone and call the operator. About 5 minutes later the staff captain announced that Dillon was found and safe.

My issue was, why didn't the parent notice he was missing at 1:15 am easier to take than 5am. A couple of days later Dillon's mom was shouting into a radio for Dillon to come to the room,why did the mother let this kid out of her sight !

Sorry, parents should be accountable for their children, I support the Captain of the IOS asking the families to leave.

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher . You have no idea how many calls we get at 11pm -Midnight from hysterical mothers saying there 10 yr old hasn't come home from school yet ........8 or 9 hours you are wondering where the kid is ????????? and like you said its the crying, screaming begging someone has to find them NOW routine.

Some people just make you wonder

There is also a well stated rule that no unattended children may sit in the first three rows during a performance; and yet, this rule was broken with young teens being disruptive with loud "smart aleck" remarks and laughing during very inappropriate times (like a beautiful rendition of Danny Boy...I'm not talking during a comedian here). Two different adults confronted them on two different nights; which helped to settle them down; and finally they left when they realized 'the jig was up' as it were.

Mitch

Funny you mention that. On our last cruise on the Voyager there was always 1-2 members of the cruise director staff standing at the stage before the performance making sure that all kids in the front rows had parental supervision.

I am glad to see RCCL cracking down on this.

Dear friends:

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

This is what everyone has been telling you. 18 is considered an adult on all RCI cruises - with the exception of alcohol consumption. 18 year olds have never had a curfew. It is all spelled out very clearly on the RCI website - as was also provided in a previous post. :)

This is what everyone has been telling you. 18 is considered an adult on all RCI cruises - with the exception of alcohol consumption. 18 year olds have never had a curfew. It is all spelled out very clearly on the RCI website - as was also provided in a previous post. :)

What Gunther (and/or Uta) is saying is a bit different, though. From the US, you cannot book a cruise unless there is an adult 21 or over in the party. If I remember correctly, they make some exceptions for married couples who are not under 21. But just any old 18 year old would not be allowed to book a cruise by himself.

Thanks for clarifying Paul ... I also thought 21 was the "magical age" to book. I'm not sure I'd want to be on a ship where a bunch of 18 year olds were there without any supervision. I was 18 once :eek:

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher . You have no idea how many calls we get at 11pm -Midnight from hysterical mothers saying there 10 yr old hasn't come home from school yet ........8 or 9 hours you are wondering where the kid is ????????? and like you said its the crying, screaming begging someone has to find them NOW routine.

Some people just make you wonder

I'm an elementary school principal. I've had our school district police call me at home in the evening to return to school because a parent has called and said their child never made it home. Really? School gets out at 3:15, you live a block away, and you're just now noticing your child hasn't shown up? What were you doing for the last 4 hours? Certainly not worrying about your 7 year old!

I'm an elementary school principal. I've had our school district police call me at home in the evening to return to school because a parent has called and said their child never made it home. Really? School gets out at 3:15, you live a block away, and you're just now noticing your child hasn't shown up? What were you doing for the last 4 hours? Certainly not worrying about your 7 year old!

And then God forbid something happens to the child and everyone from the school, to the mayor, to the Queen of England is resoncible and named in the law suit. :(

Just got off the Independence of the Seas July 3rd 14 niter. All in all, the Indy lived up to her Freedom Class "Oh Wow" reputation; we had a wonderful time.

The Captain, CD and staff did have to deal with bands of roving teenagers unattended by any parents DESPITE warnings that there be no unattended children after 1am, and daily printed and even verbal reminders from the Captain himself that parents must assure children are not running on the decks, the staircases; and generally being disruptive.

I give the staff credit for meaning business. I have it on excellent authority that one family was told to leave on the third day in Gibraltor, and two families, despite the fact there was only one sea day left before returning to Southampton were forced to disembark in Vigo, Spain.

I've read a review already posted about this sailing, and apparently Gloria, the reviewer felt this was such a problem it diminished her enjoyment greatly. It was not as much an issue with us; but we DID notice unattended teens causing a bit of a raucus now and then.

I look for even greater consequences from RCI in the future for this behavior. The bottom line? Parents; if you take your under age children on a cruise...it is YOUR repsonsibility to control them, or your vacation could come to a premature, unpleasant and very expensive end.

Mitch

I was on the same cruise as Mitch and think these are fair points being raised .I wouldn't say the amount of roving teenagers diminished my enjoyment of the holiday but i was surprised at the amounts of them left to their own device well into the night

Its fair to say there was gangs of them who had taken over certain rooms on the ship after a certain time of night , playing with the lifts etc , i could see how that could be intimidating to some ( Would point out i never saw them do anything bad or what could be classed as unpleasant ) , .One night around 1130 i left the prom to take drinks up to floor 8 and ended up sharing a lift with 3 face painted kids , no older than 7/8 ,as someone who had 4 kids on the ship , 2 of similar age -i find that staggering

We were told 3 families had been told to leave including 1 were a kid had thrown a glass at a bar tender

Roddy

Can't get through a thread without someone blasting those who smuggle liquor. That is not what this is all about. Some are so self rightous. Boo!

Someone has had a sense of humour by-pass................ and it is not the person who posted about smuggling liquor.

We have had 13 cruises in the caribbean and have never run into any problems like the previous posters have. I guess we have been extremely lucky. I have seen young children out late at night and worried about them and wondered why their parents just let them roam around. Just because you are on a boat doesn't mean there isn't child molesters or unstable people on board. We took our daughter on many cruises and she was always with us. Even when she was 18 and 21 she was always somewhere close by. If people don't want to watch their children, why have them in the first place or wait until they are grown to cruise if you can't control them. If people want to stay out late in the halls, I don't care, just be quiet....respect those around you.

Archived