Return flight time

dcasian

10 AM is really pushing it. Although the ship will probably be docked before 7 AM it still has to clear customs and then you have to get off the ship and get to the airport. I would check into the later flight and see if there is an option to get it at a better price.

Wish I had better news and have a great next cruise.

Is 10am flight from FLL too early? The next avail one is not until late in the afternoon and almost double the price.

When Princess is booking flights out of Fort Lauderdale for our cruise this fall, this is what they print on the My Princess site:

You must depart no earlier than 10:20 AM on October 24, 2010 for disembarkation.

This means they do not feel you should book a flight before 10:20.AM I am having the same problem as you. The cheaper flights are only offered early in the morning.

Is 10am flight from FLL too early? The next avail one is not until late in the afternoon and almost double the price.
That's really pushing it and everything would have to go right in order to make it and have some breathing room. It also depends on what time of the year, how many cruise ships are in port at the same time, what "land" events are taking place in the Ft. Lauderdale area at the time, etc.

Let's say your ship arrives at 7am. It takes about 30 minutes to dock the ship, tie up, deploy the gangways, etc. The Port Authorities board the ship and clear it, not always quickly. You can use self-disembarkation and be among the first to disembark the ship but you'll have to carry all of your luggage, carry-ons, etc. across the gangway and down the escalator, and still have one hand free for the handrail. They monitor this closely. The alternative is to wait for the elevator along with about 50 other people. You go through Immigration and then Customs, and finally, out of the building.

You and a lot of other people will be vying for the available cabs. Sometimes you can get one right away, sometimes it takes a lot longer. I've seen people literally fighting for a cab (what a great way to end a cruise.) The airport is only 15 minutes away with traffic.

Curbside check-in can take as long as 30 minutes although it's usually faster. Then, it's through Security which can take 15 - 45 minutes, depending on the crowds. Even though you've checked in, you should be at the gate when it's ready to board. I've seen them giving seats to stand-by passengers if they don't show up before 15 minutes to flight time.

Some people will say, no problem, I do it all the time. But in my experience, you have to be pretty lucky to do so. I've barely made an 11:20am flight when the ship wasn't cleared until after 9am.

There's a reason why the earlier flight is so much cheaper. Think about it. And, if you decide to chance it, make sure you've got "Plan B" in place and can take the anxiety if there are any delays along the way. I've seen people frantic to disembark the ship, crying and wailing, with a delay but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I think 1000 is perfectly fine. But... as Pam said, have a plan B and make sure you can take the anxiety.

I did a 0855 flight on a Saturday in March when there were 5 other ships in port, and we didn't end up docking at the normal place but down some waterway with manatee signs across from the ship.

I am DL Diamond, so I get same day standby free, same day confirmed change free, and had a print out of other options if plan A failed.

If you're mobile, and don't have too much stuff, 1000 is very doable. Very very doable.

A 10:00AM flight is really pushing it since the airlines require you to check in at least 30 minutes to an hour before that.

Most cruise lines do not recommend flights before noon on the day of debarkation.

Everything that Pam said is so true - especially if you are traveling around any of the holiday times. Remember - yours is not the only ship discharging passengers on any given day. Throw a holiday in there and you really have total chaos.

Is it possible for you to stay over a night and then take the earliest possible flight our the next morning? That way, you can be at the airport ahead of all of the cruise passengers. That's what we do and it works out great. Plus - we have another wonderful day of vacation.

Personally, having to make a 10:00 flight would really stress me out. If your cruise is on a Saturday or Sunday, the airport is a zoo! For sure, I would utilize the baggage program so that you did not have to check bags at airport. The lines at the airport( SWA) were at least an hour long and there were people really sweating it! Not too sure about other airlines.

We were on NCL pearl this past May.We were off the ship and at the airport by 7:30 and through security by 7:40 and could have easily caught a 9 o'clock flight.We were lucky,everything worked out perfect,that might not happen all the time.Just make sure you are on the first group off,by going that early you will not have to wait for a taxi,or to go through security at the airport.The airport was empty till around 9,then it started to fill up.

We were off the ship and at the airport by 7:30 and through security by 7:40 and could have easily caught a 9 o'clock flight.We were lucky,everything worked out perfect,that might not happen all the time.Just make sure you are on the first group off,by going that early you will not have to wait for a taxi,or to go through security at the airport.The airport was empty till around 9,then it started to fill up.

This has been our experience twice in the last year as we made a 1005 with about an hour to spare. Snags do happen; but they are fairly uncommon or you would see posters on here saying they missed their flights.

The main thing is to be prepared and have a back-up plan.

Mike:)

When you say have a back up plan do you mean that they have later flights?

I mean know ahead of time what you would do if you missed your flight.

Is there a later flight? Know your carrier's schedule. Can I just spend a night here and fly home tomorrow?

Don't wait until you are faced with a bad situation and have to make a rash decision.

I mean know ahead of time what you would do if you missed your flight.

Is there a later flight? Know your carrier's schedule. Can I just spend a night here and fly home tomorrow?

Don't wait until you are faced with a bad situation and have to make a rash decision.

We booked an 11:20 flight. There are other flights that day. I thought that was what you meant but wanted to make sure. Thank you!

Thank you for all your suggestions. We booked the later flight to avoid rush. No point of rushing after a nice vacation just to save a few bucks. Well, actually close to a hundred each but i think we can cut down a few drinks on board!

Thank you for all your suggestions. We booked the later flight to avoid rush. No point of rushing after a nice vacation just to save a few bucks. Well, actually close to a hundred each but i think we can cut down a few drinks on board!

I think you made a wise decision. Now - you can relax and enjoy your entire trip!

Smooth Sailing Always! :)

My wife and I made a 1030 flight out of FLL with ease. We weren't even planning on it, but got to the airport early enough we got on standby. However, I would not schedule such an early flight intentionally.

Honestly, I like the option of staying the night and leaving early the next morning.

Archived