Dining Room Disasters: What's the worst dish you've had on Carnival?

What was the diet coconut cake like? I was about to order it one night, but my waiter discouraged it.

The frosting on it was ok....

Ya know, I really wish they would call it something other than "diet dessert". Maybe "light" or something...but DIET just makes me sad. :o

What was the diet coconut cake like? I was about to order it one night, but my waiter discouraged it.

It is basically sponge cake layered with coconut flavored frosting. The same with the lemon and orange cakes and respective flavors. I have a feeling though that the frosting is not that "low cal", it tastes just to good to me.:D These desserts are made with splenda and I guess that is where the calories are cut. Dont know why they havent changed their pumpkin pie recipe though. Fine to make it with splenda, just make the texture closer to the real thing.:)

Tried the flat iron steak, I thought maybe because we left out of a port that a hurricane hit the week before was the reason why they couldnt get the "nicer" steaks. I had it like 2 nights, and both were terrible. I order my meat medium rare, because I like it tender. But I got two pieces of leather both nights. You could have made a gun holster with the leather they served.

Everything else has been wonderful. (didnt like the duck that much) I Do love the chocolate melting cake.

Most of the food I have ordered in the MDR has been excellent. I can only recall 2 things that were waaaaaaayyyyy bad.

The worst was the beef stroganoff. Glendale Cruisers has it right it was a greasy blob of meat and gravy. It was truly bad!

The other was a chilled apple soup that I ordered at lunch. I can't remember the exact name of it, but I was expecting something along the lines of the strawberry bisque. What I got tasted more like thick, salty chicken broth. Very nasty!

Thats how duck is supposed to be cooked. Stick to KFC for your avian needs...

As I said, I know that is how Duck is "supposed" to be served and that is totally disgusting.

Beef, yes

Pork, ok

Poultry, no way Jose.

And yes, I have eaten at fine dining establishments in case anyone is going to get snarky. Duck is just not for me.

Andy.

:D

As I said, I know that is how Duck is "supposed" to be served and that is totally disgusting.

Beef, yes

Pork, ok

Poultry, no way Jose.

And yes, I have eaten at fine dining establishments in case anyone is going to get snarky. Duck is just not for me.

Andy.

:D

Nothing wrong with KFC, its delicous and well done (temp). I'll let Daffy know he's safe from you...

Hey stingraycruiser..you know the first time I ever snorkeled in my life...Dec 25, 1979..I opened my eyes and saw a stingray amble by safely ahead of me..Kamaole III beach Maui!!

Can not wait to do one of those stingray excursions.

Love escargot..thanks to your thread I will try Carnival's next time.

I thought coconut "diet" cake was good...light and nice.

I did like the chocolate melting cake but it was so very rich..I could not eat that every night..sjn.

Hey stingraycruiser..you know the first time I ever snorkeled in my life...Dec 25, 1979..I opened my eyes and saw a stingray amble by safely ahead of me..Kamaole III beach Maui!!

Can not wait to do one of those stingray excursions.

Love escargot..thanks to your thread I will try Carnival's next time.

I thought coconut "diet" cake was good...light and nice.

I did like the chocolate melting cake but it was so very rich..I could not eat that every night..sjn.

Thanks for answering just about all my questions! Yes, I do have this obsession with stingrays. Stingray City was a blast. I'm an avid snorkeller as well. :)

While reading this thread it brought back memories of each cruise where the waiter would discourage certain dishes. The diet pumpkin pie is a big one and rightfully so. Beyond nasty! That had me thinking that if the waiters/waitresses know which dishes tend to have less desireable feedback then why doesn't Carnival take note and either adjust the recipes or find alternatives? I'm not talking about a few hit or misses but the items that consistently get left uneaten or sent back. That diet pumpkin pie is a perfect example since I have yet to ever hear that anyone has been able to eat it let along enjoys it. It seems like such a waste to not take the feedback from the servers and put it to use.

DH and I have been talking alot about the food in the dining room lately. The Dream food options on the Lido at lunch really spoiled us. While we never went hungry in the dining room for dinner it wasn't anything to get excited about. The new Pasta Station was more exciting and would have made an excellent place to have dinner if it were open longer hours. I wish they'd offer a pasta with a choice of sauces each night as part of the classics. Even if it were just one type of pasta that got rotated on different nights and the sauce choices remained the same.

While reading this thread it brought back memories of each cruise where the waiter would discourage certain dishes. The diet pumpkin pie is a big one and rightfully so. Beyond nasty! That had me thinking that if the waiters/waitresses know which dishes tend to have less desireable feedback then why doesn't Carnival take note and either adjust the recipes or find alternatives? I'm not talking about a few hit or misses but the items that consistently get left uneaten or sent back. That diet pumpkin pie is a perfect example since I have yet to ever hear that anyone has been able to eat it let along enjoys it. It seems like such a waste to not take the feedback from the servers and put it to use.

DH and I have been talking alot about the food in the dining room lately. The Dream food options on the Lido at lunch really spoiled us. While we never went hungry in the dining room for dinner it wasn't anything to get excited about. The new Pasta Station was more exciting and would have made an excellent place to have dinner if it were open longer hours. I wish they'd offer a pasta with a choice of sauces each night as part of the classics. Even if it were just one type of pasta that got rotated on different nights and the sauce choices remained the same.

Absolutely! Don't they get the hint that some dishes are just not meant to be eaten? I've heard that people from Carnival (and other cruise lines) peruse Cruise Critic from time to time to see where they can improve...it's about time someone does something about these food glitches.

It's nice to hear that the Gathering on Dream is such a hit. I'll be sailing on her in about 3 weeks - so excited!!

My worse dish was Duck. I even tried it on two different cruises, different ships.

Horrible.

I'm sure it is the Duck and not the way it is cooked.

Well, actually it is the way it is cooked (med rare), but that is the reason I hate Duck. I like my birds cooked thru and thru, not slimy and half raw.

Andy

:eek:

Andy & Carnival Ex-Chef's, Duck should always be cooked well and never served med, med-rare. Just like you would never eat chicken rare. Next time tell the waiter to have the kitchen.:rolleyes:

What is it with chocolate melting cake?

I have only had it once but my wife orders it EVERY night on every cruise. Some nights it is like soup while other nights it is dry and overcooked. Maybe one or two nights out of seven it is actually cooked correctly. Despite this she still orders it every night...

I too am not a big fan. Our waiter recommended it, and of course i'd heard about it beforehand, so i was expecting a party in my mouth. I dug my spoon in, and got a spoonful of what looked like undercooked brownie. Took a bite, and..

Meh.

Me: "Can i order the cheesecake instead?"

What is it with chocolate melting cake?

I have only had it once but my wife orders it EVERY night on every cruise. Some nights it is like soup while other nights it is dry and overcooked. Maybe one or two nights out of seven it is actually cooked correctly. Despite this she still orders it every night...

Must be eaten with ice cream but it is good but very rich and cannot eat it all.

Do notice that somedays it is more liquid than others.

I think I'm going to have to eat the diet pumpkin pie on my next cruise! Curiosity killed the cat. Haha, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I eat absolutely anything, though, so I'm curious to see if even I would eat it. If I say something is bad, then you truly know to stay away from it!

Archived