Mexico New laws regarding Cash and Antibiotics

vettecruiser1

Just got back from an IE in Cozumel. None of the vendors we shopped at would take USD. They all stated due to the new law all purchases must be bought using Pesos. Also starting next month you will need a perscription to buy Antibotics in Mexico this is also a new law that they are enforcing. Good news is there is usually a doctor right next to the Pharmacy that will write you a prescription.

Just got back from an IE in Cozumel. None of the vendors we shopped at would take USD. They all stated due to the new law all purchases must be bought using Pesos. Also starting next month you will need a perscription to buy Antibotics in Mexico this is also a new law that they are enforcing. Good news is there is usually a doctor right next to the Pharmacy that will write you a prescription.

Yea they will write you one but you will pay for them to do such a thing. I know how they work, they don't even examine you they just give you the script. Course most people aren't looking for "Antibotics" - but nice way of putting it.

I know Mexico always takes US dollars, forget the law the shop keepers want the cash. A pharmacy would be different as I would hope they are regulated....... My parents were in Mexico for two weeks and used US currency - they got better deals that way.

This just started last week and it has nothing to do with them wanting to take US currency. The banks are not letting the vendors exchange more the $1500 USD a day and most of these places take in tons more then that in a day.

As for the antibiotics that is just what i was implying as for the other things(controled medicines or drugs) yes you are right the doctor will just write a script if you need those other things for about $20, but then you got to deal with customs which is very sticky and not worth the hassle.

Good question. I need to know the answer to that one since I plan on using one on my Aug. 8th cruise.

dont worry taxis take dollars b/c they (as any local or tourist in the island) can exchange dollars to pesos at any bank

Jason, I looked up the laws and it said they would allow "those vendors in tourist areas" to exchange up to $7,000/day at the banks. You think those little side vendors take in more than $7k/day? Maybe because the law was so new that they didn't understand it yet?

The story I read said it had to do with money laundering though.

I leave in less than 50 days. I hope they get it all worked out. I would hate to start exchanging money for a couple of trinkets that the kids want on the way to our excursion. I will just tell them no.

Jason, I looked up the laws and it said they would allow "those vendors in tourist areas" to exchange up to $7,000/day at the banks. You think those little side vendors take in more than $7k/day? Maybe because the law was so new that they didn't understand it yet?

The story I read said it had to do with money laundering though.

I leave in less than 50 days. I hope they get it all worked out. I would hate to start exchanging money for a couple of trinkets that the kids want on the way to our excursion. I will just tell them no.

I have been here in Cozumel for two weeks and have had absolutely zero problems using US cash or credit cards in restaurants, grocery store, and shops. BUT, if the price is in pesos, you should pay in pesos because the exchange rate will never work in your favor when making purchases.

Archived