Cozumel or Grand Cayman for jewelry?

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn

DH is due to get me some jewelry, lol. It has been a while as our babies have been getting all the good stuff. I am ready to pick out some good stuff for ME!:D So which is a better place to look, GC or Coz? Something along the lines of diamonds and gold will do the trick. I would love to have something special (but nothing too $$$) to remember our cruise. Are ship recommended stores really better? Where is the best place to look for a good deal? It negotiating allowed on things like this? Don't laugh...I am clueless.:D

We are also going to Belize and Costa Maya, but I was getting the impression that GC or Coz would be our best bet. Thanks all!

I agree with Cozumel. There are so many more dealers there. In Grand Cayman you are limited. One company seems to own Georgetown. In Coz you can go about one block east and find a lot of the less advertised stores an get better prices. As stated in the post above, be sure to haggle.

I would stay away from Cozumel and Diamonds or Tanzanite International. We bought a ring there and when we got back I took it to a reputable jeweler who told me the stone was industrial grade. Unfortunately, I waited too long and any warranty from the ship had passed. We went on the same cruise less than 12 mos later and, when we took the ring and receipt to TI, they wouldn't do anything about it other than offer to replace the stone with one that cost more than the initial ring did.

On the other hand, when we were in Grand Cayman, we bought another ring at a reputable place (I want to say Little Switzerland?) and when we got home, we immediately went to 2 jewelers who said that we got a fantastic deal on the ring. One of the jewelers also said she has been helping another lady who was ripped off by DI in Cozumel.

So, buyer beware....

Just curious, how do I go about doing this homework. I plan to research the cost of certain items before I go but I am unsure on how to "haggle" when buying jewelry. Do you automaticlly offer a certain % of the asking price or a % off the your estimated value of the item? Am I a making sense. This will be a new experience for me. If I had not found these boards, I would have probably paid asking price if I saw an item i really liked.

I just came back from both places, and I have to say I liked Grand Cayman better. Best price on the Tag we wanted.

I would be very hesitant to buy gold/silver/diamonds/tanz in cozumel unless it is from a reputable place and even then.....

Kays in GC was very reasonable...and they will offer some unadvertised discounts on certain items if you ask....

Depends on what you are looking for... if you want a watch or some John Hardy, Grand Cayman is the place to look. If you want diamonds, gold and/or silver, Cozumel may be the place to look.

Just a little tidbit...my FIL speaks Spanish. After negotiating a price on a nice heavy gold necklace for my BIL, he asked in Spanish where the guys were from and if they could help him out with any other discounts for a fellow countryman (he was born and raised in Texas but they didn't need to know that!). The price went down $450. This was in Costa Maya at one of the ...International stores. My MIL negotiated a good price on a 2 stone diamond ring which she had her engagement ring stone mounted on. This again was at one of the ...International stores. Had it appraised at home and was told she got a good deal.

Now as far as watches in Grand Cayman go, I didn't have any success on haggling there. Did get a great deal on a Movado museum watch but could get them lower than their sale price.

Prices in Grand Cayman tend to be higher than Cozumel. In either port, you need to deal with someone reputable. Bernard K. Passman has (or did have before the hurricane) a store in GC that sells jewelry made from black coral which retains it's purchase value and sometimes increases in value. You can trade up to nicer pieces at any of his stores located in the U.S. or the Caribbean. They will provide you with a sales slip at the time of purchase and then mail you papers detailing your purchase and it's value. In Coz, use a jewelry store that gives a guarantee. Silver should be stamped .925 to be good silver.

Silver now should have "925" AND "mex." or "mexico" in order to be sure it is authentic. Anyone can stamp "925" but can get in major trouble with the Mexican authorities if the stamp mex or mexico and it isn't real 925 silver

Thanks Dennis! I keep forgetting that part!

Archived