Teens on excursions

noleswin

Anyone ever let there teen on a ship booked excursion by themselves? Is it even allowed. We have a 17 and 15 year old that would like to do an excursion that my wife and I would not care for and would be wasting money to accompany them.

We have never tried to do this but my son (16) has interests not shared by my husband or me - like golfing, horseback riding - so I can certainly sympathize. You could try calling your cruise line to ask or book directly with a tour company in the particular port - checking with them on whether or not minors can go unaccompanied. You might have better luck that way as well as save some $$$. Another alternative is to logon to your roll-call and see if there are other cruise critic members going on the tour and see if your kids can go along with them. I am sure you can work it out one way or another. I know I just checked on a similar scenario on an outing in Arizona and was told my son could participate without parents if we signed a waiver. Have fun!

From the Princess website:

For most tours, there is no minimum age for children as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Guests under the age of 18 years cannot participate without a parent or guardian. A few operators may allow an unaccompanied minor on tour if a wavier is signed by the parent or guardian in the operator’s presence.

For most tours, there is no minimum age for children as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.

I know the children are probably responsible but after all they are still children. Regardless of whether this is allowed, I would not do it. There is always the potential for something to happen even on a tour whether it's an accident or someone gets lots, etc.

I don't recommend it.

Keith

• 1 month later...
We have never tried to do this but my son (16) has interests not shared by my husband or me - like golfing, horseback riding - so I can certainly sympathize. You could try calling your cruise line to ask or book directly with a tour company in the particular port - checking with them on whether or not minors can go unaccompanied. You might have better luck that way as well as save some $$$. Another alternative is to logon to your roll-call and see if there are other cruise critic members going on the tour and see if your kids can go along with them. I am sure you can work it out one way or another. I know I just checked on a similar scenario on an outing in Arizona and was told my son could participate without parents if we signed a waiver. Have fun!

Maybe it is just me, but I would not want to be responsible for someone elses child that I did not know. Big liability if the child got lost or hurt. No way!

carnival has a teen only excursion that is supervised but they wont tell you what it is until you are on the boat and its usually only on on stop

I have read that they are supposed to be never seen any word of them while onboard. Given that many people book their excursions before sailing, this doesn't seem like a very useful way to do it. Many of the excursions are not cancelable and I would sure hate to spend $100 on an excursion only to discover that the teen club had something exciting going on in that port- for another $100. This is not good planning on Carnival's part.

As far as doing things that the kids will like and you won't- some of the excursions have a spectator option- you still might not enjoy it all that much, but if your kids will love it- that might give you enough pleasure that you'll put up with it.

You never know what could happen. Two years ago, I broke my ankle on a shore excursion. I was just stepping backward to take a picture and tripped on a little step. The next thing I knew, I was lying on the ground with my tibia protruding from my ankle. :eek: I had to have surgery - in a foreign country. If a minor were to need medical treatment, they'd need your permission. Even if you could find a tour to take them alone, I wouldn't allow it.

Archived