Photo - SD Card Question

runner5

I know there is a photo section, but I also know there are avid photographers who read this board too, so here is my question...

I have the Powershot sx20is and the Powershot 960, (and a Rebel sxi with a f2.4 lens) which both video in hd720. I do have a few of the SandDisk ExtremeIII which is 20mb/s but I saw the class 10 cards for a 1/4 of the price of the Sandisk, does anyone know if I will suffer quality using the class 10 card given my cameras?

I know there is a photo section, but I also know there are avid photographers who read this board too, so here is my question...

I have the Powershot sx20is and the Powershot 960, (and a Rebel sxi with a f2.4 lens) which both video in hd720. I do have a few of the SandDisk ExtremeIII which is 20mb/s but I saw the class 10 cards for a 1/4 of the price of the Sandisk, does anyone know if I will suffer quality using the class 10 card given my cameras?

If you are going to shoot any HD video at all, you are going to need a Class 6 card. I carry nothing but Class 6 cards, so that I don't have to go digging around looking for something different and miss important shots. Photos shot on the Class 6 just look better, too.

This site has some good info on SD cards.

http://www.sdcard.org/home/

I'd be concerned with the card manufacturer and the quality of their cards. Might be why it's 1/4 of the price.

I have a class 6 and a class 10 card and there is no significant difference in the video quality. The big difference is the upload speed to the computer. The class 10 is very fast.

I would expect class 6/10 will both be fine for video. I may be wrong but canon compresses their video unlike Nikon so they are more space efficient even for HD vidoe so transfer rate needs are lower.

Photo quaility will NOT be effected one bit whether you are using the cheapest sandisk or the most expensive one or some other brand memorcard as long as it works. The only different will be in the shot to shot speed limits and for the listed camera the card isn't the limiting factor.

There are only a handful of factories in the world that are manufacturing the chips that go into the many brands. What really sperates them is whether they use the latest technology ( more expensive ) or are the fastest ( lowest yield ), and testing / quality.

Pricing is all over the place and many things come into it. The two most important aspects are speed and density. You pay a huge premium for both. If you are buying from a reputable store and its sandisk you shouldn't have any issues getting a counterfeit product. Buying on Ebay or other internet site and buyer beware. You could be getting a product that isn't the stated size, the stated performance or may even have bad bits out of the billions..

Archived