Beverage question regarding milk

lilipad2

Hi all,

I've seen numerous threads regarding what drinks are included or extra. The one drink most important to our little guy is milk. Is this an extra? Does this count as a soda? Or does it depend on the dining venue?

I just want to know if we will have to take out a loan for his milk drinking?? :p

Hi all,

I've seen numerous threads regarding what drinks are included or extra. The one drink most important to our little guy is milk. Is this an extra? Does this count as a soda? Or does it depend on the dining venue?

I just want to know if we will have to take out a loan for his milk drinking?? :p

You might not see the little cartons of milk in plain sight around lunchtime or snacktime, but they're there:)

The friendly fellows behind the Lido line can hand you one or more from the fridge.

Thanks so much ya'll. I may have to go the milk and cookies route....for me at least.

Speaking of room service, and maybe I need to post this seperately, but I assume kids menu items are also available via room service?? We have a short break between shore exs in Sitka and I'm thinking of packing some room service PB&Js for the little guy. Low blood sugar is not pretty. :mad:

Thanks so much ya'll. I may have to go the milk and cookies route....for me at least.

Speaking of room service, and maybe I need to post this seperately, but I assume kids menu items are also available via room service?? We have a short break between shore exs in Sitka and I'm thinking of packing some room service PB&Js for the little guy. Low blood sugar is not pretty. :mad:

Due to agricultural laws the only type of food that is allowed to be taken off the ship in any port would be packaged things like granola bars, etc. No fresh foods like sandwiches, fruit, etc.

Does he like things like peanut butter cracker sandwiches or cereal bars?

Sorry -- but you will not be able to take sandwiches, fruit, etc off the ship.

Some ports won't even let you take pre-packaged foods off the ship.

The ship's shops do not have a great choice of pre-packaged items so you should pack some in your suitcase before you leave home.

I'm a huge milk drinker (skim for me; probably not for your little guy!) and if you have a "fixed seating" plan for dinner you'll find that after the first night the milk will be at the table waiting for you, cold and ready to drink, if you tell your dining steward that the child will be drinking it each night.

If you want some during the day for a snack you could call room service but you could also pick up a carton from the Lido during the breakfast service hours and keep it in your cabin's ice bucket so it's ready at any time. Sometimes hungry kids don't like to wait even a few minutes!

While free, you may want to note the following. We were on the Amsterdam earlier this month and they only had the following milk options:

Whole - 3.25%

Low fat - 2%

Skim - 0%

They did not have 1%. Our four-year-old daughter didn't like the taste of 2% (as she's used to 1%) and we discovered to our delight that the chocolate milk was 1% (and didn't have any high-fructose corn syrup) - it's vacation so why not!

So...they don't have 1% white milk, just 1% chocolate milk. All were free/included.

Sorry -- but you will not be able to take sandwiches, fruit, etc off the ship.

Some ports won't even let you take pre-packaged foods off the ship.

The ship's shops do not have a great choice of pre-packaged items so you should pack some in your suitcase before you leave home.

We'll be cruising in Alaska on the Rotterdam next week. We seriously wouldn't be able to take like an apple or PB&J sandwich off the ship for a snack? I assume bags are checked as you leave the ship?

Thanks for the heads up.

We'll be cruising in Alaska on the Rotterdam next week. We seriously wouldn't be able to take like an apple or PB&J sandwich off the ship for a snack? I assume bags are checked as you leave the ship?

Thanks for the heads up.

All the ports in Alaska have restaurants, little min-mart type places, and port shopping areas that sell snacks, etc., where you can pick up something for the little guy. You are in the US, after all. There will be signs posted that no food items are to be taken off the ship. Should you choose to disregard them, that is indeed your choice. Most cruisers respect the laws and regulations on board ship and in port as they should anywhere else.

Rest assured, I have no intention of breaking any laws. I was just a bit surprised given that we pack food when we travel by air. But now that I think of it, when we travel international we eat the food while on the plane. In any case, as long as there are food stalls for us in Sitka, we should be good. Thanks again!!

Rest assured, I have no intention of breaking any laws. I was just a bit surprised given that we pack food when we travel by air. But now that I think of it, when we travel international we eat the food while on the plane. In any case, as long as there are food stalls for us in Sitka, we should be good. Thanks again!!

And you'll have no problem getting something for your child to eat in Sitka, or in any other Alaskan port. They even have a McDonalds in Sitka.

Rule of Mixtures solves this dilemma.

I have been known to mix together a low fat milk and a skim milk to produce a glass of 1% milk.

igraf

While free, you may want to note the following. We were on the Amsterdam earlier this month and they only had the following milk options:

Whole - 3.25%

Low fat - 2%

Skim - 0%

They did not have 1%. Our four-year-old daughter didn't like the taste of 2% (as she's used to 1%) and we discovered to our delight that the chocolate milk was 1% (and didn't have any high-fructose corn syrup) - it's vacation so why not!

So...they don't have 1% white milk, just 1% chocolate milk. All were free/included.

I thought children were always supposed to drink regular milk (not low fat)?

Genenerally Whole milk from 1yr to 2yrs for growth & brain growth/development.

Then lowfat or nonfat after 2yrs depending on dietary needs

I have had no problem obtaining 1% milk on HAL, except smetimes they run out towards the end of the cruise. As mentioned previously, just mix equal parts of skim and 2%. I did this for years at work as 1% didn't come in the cartons sent to our facility.

Our 4 little ones drink milk for each meal. In the MDR just ask for it. In the AM I go to the Lido and get some extra cartons and put it in our room fridge for later that afternoon or evening. Also grab some extra fruit and cereal boxes for evening snacks or if they didn't eat a large dinner. I find our kids don't get enough fruit during the cruise so every night I slice up an apple or orange for them in our room.

In the MDR for breakfast we always ask for a little mixed fruit for each child. It is not on the menu but since we have 4 kids our waiter always gets it for us. It is just a little bit of strawberries, raspberries, blue or blackberries in a cup.

Our 4 little ones drink milk for each meal. In the MDR just ask for it. In the AM I go to the Lido and get some extra cartons and put it in our room fridge for later that afternoon or evening. Also grab some extra fruit and cereal boxes for evening snacks or if they didn't eat a large dinner. I find our kids don't get enough fruit during the cruise so every night I slice up an apple or orange for them in our room.

In the MDR for breakfast we always ask for a little mixed fruit for each child. It is not on the menu but since we have 4 kids our waiter always gets it for us. It is just a little bit of strawberries, raspberries, blue or blackberries in a cup.

Berk -- you rock. Thanks. My guy always needs a snack and fruit is his FAVORITE thing. We call him our little fruit bat. Good to know where to go for these things.

Thanks ya'll. We're leaving Saturday!!!

Berk -- you rock. Thanks. My guy always needs a snack and fruit is his FAVORITE thing. We call him our little fruit bat. Good to know where to go for these things.

Thanks ya'll. We're leaving Saturday!!!

First cruise we didn't know. Second cruise we get a little smarter and will probably learn more new things on our third cruise this December. 2nd cruise we asked our cabin stewart for a bowl of fruit. He fills it up every day. Doesn't hurt that we slip him a $50 on the first day and if he's good all week, we slip him another at the last day. Plus doing the auto-tipping too.

Travelling with little kids requires extra work and effort but worth it. Then you learn that every year as the kids get older, it gets a tiny bit easier.

BTW...I stash boxes of cereal and melba toast for trips on the island for quick snacks for the kids and bring our own granola bar, water bottles etc. Hassel to carry it all but kids must be hydrated and fed at all times to avoid meltdowns.

I know that it is all you can eat all the time which is great for adults but not all kids want to eat what we eat and we make do until we get home.

BTW...the chicken noodle soup at dinner in the MDR is excellent for kids. We order it nightly then avoid the rest of the kids menu. 2 kids share one main entre and they eat off our plates too, depending on what is ordered. Then we finish what they don't eat to avoid food wastage. Granted I gain 5 lbs every cruise but usually lose it within 2 weeks of return.

Archived