Rocky Mountaineer train

blue manc

I an looking to do an Alaskain cruise from Vancouver next June and pre- tour Rocky Mountaineer train tour from Jasper to Vancouver, thoughts please on the following :

Is it worth doing.

Is it worth the upgrade cost from Red Leaf to Gold Leaf Service

Which is the best cruise

And if not the Rocky Mountainer, ideas for the best pre / post tours

I have not personally done this tour...however all those that have absolutely loved it...you will be passing thru some wonderful scenery and areas teeming with wildlife.... the Rocky Mountaineer makes sure you see all this in the daylight by overnighting you in hotels.

Yes it is worth it to upgrade to Goldleaf according to everyone I have talked to. Goldleaf gets you the doom car seating which is were you want to be for the best views.

I did that trip in May/June of 2007--the Vancouver to Banff leg. It was so far my favorite trip ever. Yes yes on the Gold Leaf. The dome cars are sensational--high enough so you can stand up for photos, they serve drinks (any type) all day long, the food is unbelievable for being served on a train (white table cloth) and everyone we met was so nice. You have an outside area at the back of your car (where I spent lots of time). I just can't say enough. I know it was fairly expensive, but well worth it. Plus, Rocky Mountaineer's service is impeccable. They have it down to a science, room check-in, etc. And if you want to make any alterations to the trip before or after the train portion, they can accommodate you. For example, we wanted to stay in Banff an extra night then get transportation to Calgary a day later. They arranged it with a great town car to take us to the airport. I would recommend this trip to anyone. I'd actually like to do it again!! Do not hesitate!!

By all means the Rocky Mountaineer train ride is very much worth doing but I personally prefer the Banff route over the Jasper route. The Gold Leaf package certainly has value and yes it is worth if it fits your budget. As for a cruise I really think that you should check itineraries and and pick which is best for you, so long as you do something with Princess, HAL or Celebrity you will find the ships and service pretty much the same.

Thanks for your help, we decided to take the plunge and go for the gold leaf option

Good decision....as one of my friends says, "if there is any money left for the children, well something went wrong with the plan".;)

Archived