Question for those who use backpack carriers

ehough

We're considering taking our framed backpack carrier on our upcoming cruise- DS will be not quite 1, but almost 30 pounds. I think a backpack carrier would be easier than a stroller in some places.

That said, how do you get it on the plane? It could fit in a suitcase, and while it's rather light, it's unwieldy and would take up much needed space. Has anyone taken one on a plane? Do we check it? Gate check it? Use it as a carry on?

Any help is appreciated as I don't recall ever seeing anyone with one of these in an airport. I'm not so much concerned about how to get DS through the airport- if we have to pack the carrier, DD can walk and he can ride in the stroller. But if we can avoid putting it in a suitcase, we'd rather do that!

You will have to check your airline's policy. Go to the baggage section on their webpage and look there. If it is within the size guidelines for a carryon, you can take it on the plane; if not, you'll have to check it.

Well, if your not bringing a stroller then you could just put him in it while you travel around the airport and then just gate check it. We have the Kelty Expedition carrier and it's too big to fit in a suitcase so we will probably have to put ours in a duffle bag.

You're so right that there are times it's better to have a back pack carrier than a stroller. We took one on our first cruise with DD and we made the right call to use it instead of a stroller for the main drag in town at Majahual (sp?) (Costa Maya port). It's not a street so much as sand. Not stroller friendly.

That said, I can't help with the airport. We drove the 13 hours to port, so we took stroller and back pack (and car seat and...we were a sight to see). I have no experience to lean on when I say this, but I agree you should be able to gate check it as your "stroller".

We either used it in the airport (great when you have to run for a connection, or when I flew by myself with 3 children under 3) and gate checked it, or put it in the big bag that we put all of the carseats into (4 at one point) and checked the whole thing through. We have found it very handy in some areas where there are stairs, cobblestones, etc. that make a stroller difficult.

Have you ever tried an ergo? I have used mine for both of my girls who are 35 and 30 lbs. it's much smaller and packable, and all around less bulky.

I was going to suggest the same thing-- am Ergo or another nice soft structured carrier. I also like a ring sling or a mei tai but I think the Ergo would be more comfortable for a bigger baby. Check the forums at thebabywearer.com if you want some other suggestions, but I really love my Ergo.

Good choice on the backpack carrier! I brought mine for our last cruise and was sooooo glad I did! (I brought the stroller also - was very glad to have it as well.) You shouldn't have any problem at the airport, and, as another poster mentioned, you can gate check it (just as you would a stroller) without a problem (although, you may want to check your particular airline).

The ERGO is another great option, if you're willing to spend the extra money on it (they run about $100). Something to consider though is the temperature - baby carriers in the summer were always hot for me, but a lot of my friends love them! Also, my kids LOVED being up high in the backpack versus hanging out on my front side - they just seemed happier and would fall asleep on my shoulder. :) All kids are different though - your mileage may vary. ;)

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

Archived