Do they still give tours of the bridge?

Hello on our last cruise this past February we where told by our cruise director that since 911, tours are no longer permitted. Mind if I ask when and what ship did you have your last tour on? I hope on our next cruises if we follow your instruction we could tour the bridge as well.

Happy Sailing

Earl

The information you were given was incorrect. As others have said tours are still available at the discretion of the captain, but are usually limited to Diamond+ and suite guests (Diamonds may also be included but I am not certain of that). On my most recent two cruises (Navigator of the Seas this past March and Radiance of the Seas in June), my wife and I were both invited to tour the bridge.:) I have toured the bridge on several RCI ships well after 9/11.

Just returned from the 7/15 sailing of the Enchantment, and we were invited to a tour of the bridge on the last sea day. It was wonderful :). We spent about an hour there. I took ma ton of pictures, and as soon as I figure out how I'll post them :)

Actually it's a D+ benefit and if any room is left then it becomes a suite perk. We asked about a tour last time cruising in a suite. The concierge shook his head in disgust and said because of the large number of D+ aboard there was no extra room. He seemed truly unhappy he wasn't able to provide this. Unlike many other cruise lines, it seems RCCL puts a higher emphasis on pleasing D+ members than suite guests. Not saying this is right or wrong, just the way it is.

I'm not sure your description is accurate since anytime I have been on a bridge tour, there have been a number of suite guests as well, and at least on one occasion, when there were a very large number of Diamond Plus members onboard, there was a separate tour of the bridge offered to suite guests. Sometimes, I think that staff members tend to give the answer that they think guests want to hear rather than the truth:rolleyes:

Seems like when we reached D+ we are offered a bridge tour, galley tour or back stage tour. We’ve done several on many ships and have enjoyed it. I have been on a sailing when the captain offered a bridge tour to basically anyone on the ship, when a port was missed. This was POST 911 too. Just for info – our last bridge tour was Jan 2010 (Freedom) and we had to show ID and sign a roster and, were “wanded”.

Friend just returned for the 4 night Monarch and tells me they were offered an engine room tour as one of the tour options. First, I thought the tours started at 5 nights and secondly, I never heard of offering an engine room tour. Do you think they were mistaken or is this a new offering in terms of the 4 night sailing and the engine room option.

Thanks,

M

I'm not sure your description is accurate since anytime I have been on a bridge tour, there have been a number of suite guests as well, and at least on one occasion, when there were a very large number of Diamond Plus members onboard, there was a separate tour of the bridge offered to suite guests. Sometimes, I think that staff members tend to give the answer that they think guests want to hear rather than the truth:rolleyes:

From the look on his face, I'm pretty sure the concierge would have arranged a bridge tour (and one did take place) if it were possible. Suite guests are invited if there is room but they come behind D+ members. Whether they have two bridge tours would probably depend on the captain.

Seems like when we reached D+ we are offered a bridge tour, galley tour or back stage tour. We’ve done several on many ships and have enjoyed it. I have been on a sailing when the captain offered a bridge tour to basically anyone on the ship, when a port was missed. This was POST 911 too. Just for info – our last bridge tour was Jan 2010 (Freedom) and we had to show ID and sign a roster and, were “wanded”.

Friend just returned for the 4 night Monarch and tells me they were offered an engine room tour as one of the tour options. First, I thought the tours started at 5 nights and secondly, I never heard of offering an engine room tour. Do you think they were mistaken or is this a new offering in terms of the 4 night sailing and the engine room option.

Thanks,

M

On our last cruise in June, a private tour of the engine room was auctioned off along with other tours for the Make a Wish foundation.

That's the only time I've ever heard of an engine room tour.

Sherri:)

Did the bridge tour in May on the Serenade and also on the 3 day Majesty, was very surprised to be asked to go on a bridge tour on the Majesty! Great time, looking forward to going to another bridge tour on the Liberty in October.

From the look on his face, I'm pretty sure the concierge would have arranged a bridge tour (and one did take place) if it were possible. Suite guests are invited if there is room but they come behind D+ members. Whether they have two bridge tours would probably depend on the captain.

I would need more than the claim of one concierge that there is some sort of priority list for tours that places Diamond Plus members ahead of suite guests, but since your posts generally seem to try to encourage some sort of rivalry between those who book suites and those who have achieved a certain status in the loyalty program, I remain more than a bit skeptical of your claim.

I would need more than the claim of one concierge that there is some sort of priority list for tours that places Diamond Plus members ahead of suite guests, but since your posts generally seem to try to encourage some sort of rivalry between those who book suites and those who have achieved a certain status in the loyalty program, I remain more than a bit skeptical of your claim.

Believe what you want!

I simply posted what I have experienced. No "rivalry" intended. In fact in my original post I stated that I wasn't saying it was right or wrong but that was what was happening. If you want to make more out of it than that, go ahead.

Thanks,

M

June 2009 Explorer, they were auctioning "Bridge" tours, "Galley" tours, and "Engine Room" tours, for make a wish.

I bid like crazy for all three, and lost all three. They went for somewhere between $4-5 hundred each!! I quit at $350.

I could be wrong, but I think one family bid and won all three.

June 2009 Explorer, they were auctioning "Bridge" tours, "Galley" tours, and "Engine Room" tours, for make a wish.

I bid like crazy for all three, and lost all three. They went for somewhere between $4-5 hundred each!! I quit at $350.

I could be wrong, but I think one family bid and won all three.

Thanks - I know they were not referring to the auction the ship sometimes holds, but they tell me it was one of the offered options.

M

We had bridge tours on both of our cruises in the last year. The first was on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda in June, 2009. The second tour was 2 weeks ago on the Navigator of the Seas. This time part of the tour was given by Captain Patrik Dahlgren. He was very engaging and complimented his officer staff. As you would expect his duties are more like a CEO. Only 5% is actual navigation of the ship. We stayed in an Owner's Suite on both occasions and are only gold members. So yes, Suite Guests are entitled to the perk. You only need to ask.

I haven't read all of the replies, but on our last few cruises, bridge tours were limited to invited guests of the captain and as a Make a Wish auction item. We almost bid on it the one time, as DH is very interested in seeing the bridge, but the times conflicted with our other plans.

We had bridge tours on both of our cruises in the last year. The first was on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda in June, 2009. The second tour was 2 weeks ago on the Navigator of the Seas. This time part of the tour was given by Captain Patrik Dahlgren. He was very engaging and complimented his officer staff. As you would expect his duties are more like a CEO. Only 5% is actual navigation of the ship. We stayed in an Owner's Suite on both occasions and are only gold members. So yes, Suite Guests are entitled to the perk. You only need to ask.

Interesting, we did the Citta. Citta. 7 day 11 July. We did our bridge tour in the afternoon and were the only ones to show. Talked to Capt. Patrik for about 15 minutes, what a personable young Captain. Noticed he seemed to be all over the ship, frequently with two or three officers with clipboards taking notes as he pointed to something that needed attention.

Jim

I just came off the Oasis yesterday, and as a Diamond plus we were invited to tour the bridge. There were about 15 of us (I think we were told 30 were invited), went through security checks, and was given the tour by the second officer. I have pictures of it on my pictures only thread.

Interesting, we did the Citta. Citta. 7 day 11 July. We did our bridge tour in the afternoon and were the only ones to show. Talked to Capt. Patrik for about 15 minutes, what a personable young Captain. Noticed he seemed to be all over the ship, frequently with two or three officers with clipboards taking notes as he pointed to something that needed attention.

Jim

Yes, we were on the same cruise. We had our tour on the 3rd day of the cruise (At sea day). There were probably about 10-12 people on the tour. It sounds like they did more than one tour. I agree, Captain Patrik was very active on the ship. We saw him everywhere and had a few conversations with him. He lived in LA at some point. Although his last name is Swedish he is of Irish heritage also. I understand he currently lives in London.

We've been invited (as D+) to the bridge on Majesty a few times. So, it can be done on shorty cruises.

On our last Mariner cruise, we were again invited as D+. Captain Per was there (often you never sea the Captain) and hosted an outstanding tour. Deirdra got to sit in his chair. (sea below)

Rick and Deirdra

1312866636_Mariner2-14-2010115.jpg.3d4bc263085ef057d2ea40153d434231.jpg

Now you got me mad! Bridge tour two times while only a GOLD member and here I was turned down while also being in a OS! Maybe I should have showered that morning I asked!:D Just think (as it was explained to me onboard) that it all depends how many D+ members are taking the tour. If there's room, suite guests are invited.

Now you got me mad! Bridge tour two times while only a GOLD member and here I was turned down while also being in a OS! Maybe I should have showered that morning I asked!:D Just think (as it was explained to me onboard) that it all depends how many D+ members are taking the tour. If there's room, suite guests are invited.

We were in an Owner's Suite on the Navigator. When the concierge emailed me prior to the cruise, I put in the request for the tour early by answering his email. Maybe that was the reason? I am sure the priority would go to Diamond + members

We were in an Owner's Suite on the Navigator. When the concierge emailed me prior to the cruise, I put in the request for the tour early by answering his email. Maybe that was the reason? I am sure the priority would go to Diamond + members

Thanks, that's a great idea. I'll try that on our cruise in September.

Archived